Energy Products

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Delay in getting inverter replaced

I have a SolarCity solar system from mid 2015. The ABB inverter stopped working in mid October (5 year inverter life seems a bit short, BTW).
Tesla is still not keeping me updated on progress of providing a replacement (this has a 30-year warranty under the old MyPower program). After long hold times on calls, I still get no updates on progress. My utility bills are surging back (well over $200/month), and it's not clear to me that there will be any or adequate compensation or even that they have any incentive to prioritize the replacement.
I have heard from an old colleague in Arizona that there has been a rash of SolarCity lease customers that are not getting their systems repaired in a timely fashion; that Tesla perhaps would rather face whatever contractual penalties rather than promptly remedy the situation.
Have others had an inverter failure? How long did it take for repair / replacement?

Comments

• I also have an ABB inverter, installed in late 2015. Mine's a 4.2kW-rated ABB PVI-4.2-OUTD-S-US-Z-A. I've got a 5.035kW array feeding it, and I've seen it clip (very rarely) at 4.6kW. There are actually two independent 2.1kW inverters within my model.

I have no problem with its performance (so far). I hope it holds. One possible difference is that mine is in an environment that rarely strays from temperatures between 55 and 85 degrees F. In Arizona, yours might see more extremes.

You do have a production performance guarantee, and will be compensated for every kWh below the specified amount, on a rolling 24 month basis. Unfortunately, if your Solar City contract is like mine, the compensation is less than half what you'll pay your utility for the "missing" production. It was a risk I was willing to take, based on my 20+ years of experience with solar PV. I may live to regret that decision, but I hope not.