Model S

Weather Stripping

Hello-
I am hearing some air coming in from the rear passenger side, and water coming in my 2015 MS. I was wondering if anyone has had to replace the weather stripping, cost associated with it, and/or recommendations?

Comments

• Is the window not all the way up?

“...water coming in” doesn’t exactly tell us anything. Where exactly is it coming in?
  • The window is all the way up. The wind sound and water (some drops when it rains or when I wash the car) is not coming in from the top of the window where it meets the roof. More from the side closest to the front door.
  • Compare it to the other side of the car. Does the molded rubber look damaged or distorted?
    If not it is possible that the widow itself is out of position due to a problem with the internal mechanism.
  • > @"Daisy the Road Rocket" said:
    > Compare it to the other side of the car. Does the molded rubber look damaged or distorted?
    > If not it is possible that the widow itself is out of position due to a problem with the internal mechanism.

That's called out of adjustment.
  • First, so you have a Sunroof? are you under CPO warranty?

I have noticed the rear door gaskets can get pulled out of position. Not unique to Tesla. Try pulling the gasket gently, to see where it is loose, and then pushing back to fully seat it in position. You can also have a helper inside the car blowing a gentle stream of compressed air and using yarn or paper or a feather, see if you can find an air leak

You can calibrate the window up position by holding the switch full up for say 3-5 seconds.

The window can also be repositioned, there is a service letter on this and mobile service can do it.
  • > @Aerodyne said:
    >
    > First, so you have a Sunroof? are you under CPO warranty?
    >
    > I have noticed the rear door gaskets can get pulled out of position. Not unique to Tesla. Try pulling the gasket gently, to see where it is loose, and then pushing back to fully seat it in position. You can also have a helper inside the car blowing a gentle stream of compressed air and using yarn or paper or a feather, see if you can find an air leak
    >
    > You can calibrate the window up position by holding the switch full up for say 3-5 seconds.
    >
    > The window can also be repositioned, there is a service letter on this and mobile service can do it.

I do have a sunroof, and I believe I am still under warranty for a little bit longer. I will try calibrating the window to see if that works.

Thanks!
  • Remember if you take it into service, you have a vibration not noise..
  • The weather strip may just need lubricating to help it seal. Tesla has recommended / used KRYTOX GPL203 on the seals of my 2015 MS and KRYTOX GPL205 to stop the leather seats from rubbing on the center console. Hope that this helps.
  • That stuff be pricey!
  • Yes, but if you have a sunroof you will need it there as well.