Model 3

Cruise Control from Brake Hold

Today i was curious what would happen if i engaged cruise control while in drive stopped at a stop sign. And when i engaged it, it let go of the brake and set the speed to 30mph, and accelerated extremely quickly from the stop. I kind of think that shouldnt be allowed to happen. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Sounds reasonable. What did it do wrong?
  • By pulling down on the stalk, you engaged AP and confirmed it was safe to proceed. You can can confirm it’s ok to proceed thru stop signs and traffic lights via the stalk or the go pedal.
  • no i did not engage autopilot. i pulled the stalk once and engaged cruise control.

@Slonkis

I dont necessarily think anything went wrong.
  • In the past it would not engage unless you were >4’ from a car in front. If it will engage while being first in line, that is a significant change. Definitely something to be aware of.
  • Ya that's what I kind of thought. I was first in line. But the acceleration wasn't smooth, it was extremely fast, and cruise control is not in control like autopilot. That's why I was kind of shocked that it even did that, kind of think cruise control shouldn't be allowed to do that.
  • Unintended acceleration? lol
  • The system should not accelerate so quickly when it takes off. That would be my only complaint.
  • haha @Joshan

ya it took off really fast. And yes i know that fast is subjective, but imagine it pretty close to flooring it in LR AWD non P.
  • Re-reading the OP brings to mind a couple of other thoughts. When driving in AP/NoAP, that would be the normal response after coming to a stop for either a light or stop sign. Has anyone tried to engage TACC while stopped and been able to replicate this? When I’m out and about tomorrow I’ll give it a try.
    When driving in my neighborhood, I have to be going ~6mph before I can engage TACC, and then it only tries to jump to 10mph.

@andy_connor_e Can you quantify really fast?
  • I feel like this is the result of everyone saying it doesn't accelerate fast enough from a stop -- so they dial it up, and then people complain that it's too fast, so they dial it back. It's such a subjective thing that is hard to quantify.
  • Could possibly have it settable, like lane changes; on how fast you prefer to accelerate. Sounds like current would be Mad Max :open_mouth:
  • > @walnotr said:
    > Re-reading the OP brings to mind a couple of other thoughts. When driving in AP/NoAP, that would be the normal response after coming to a stop for either a light or stop sign. Has anyone tried to engage TACC while stopped and been able to replicate this? When I’m out and about tomorrow I’ll give it a try.
    > When driving in my neighborhood, I have to be going ~6mph before I can engage TACC, and then it only tries to jump to 10mph.
    >
    > @andy_connor_e Can you quantify really fast?

~70% power. Give or take.

Also, what you need to look for, is the circled speed limit below your speed that indicates the speed limit on the road you're on. If thats not there it probably wont work.

For clarification, this one: https://imgur.com/a/EQVH9ZO
  • > @Joshan said:
    > Could possibly have it settable, like lane changes; on how fast you prefer to accelerate. Sounds like current would be Mad Max :open_mouth:

Not bad idea. On another note. @andy_connor_e do you have your acc set to chill or normal?
  • @WW_icefree

Normal
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > @WW_icefree
    >
    > Normal

Why don't you try to do this with chill profile and report back.
  • I can only imagine that it would reduce the acceleration. But i can try it out later on some side roads.
  • 70% power??? Have never had cruise control accelerate anywhere near that fast no matter how I invoked it. I’ll try tomorrow exactly the way op did...from stop sign, on hold, single stalk press.
  • Ya let me know what you think. Seemed ridiculously fast to me
  • Non performance as well, no speed boost upgrade
  • @andy_connor_e - Ok, I just got back from trying this out. On numerous occasions I attempted to engage cruise control and always got the “Cruise Control Not Available” message. The only way the car would accelerate from a stop sign was if it had stopped for the sign while in TACC. Using V10 2020.44.25.
    When it did proceed from a stop on TACC, the acceleration seemed normal to me.
  • Ok, it might have not given you the ability to engage cruise control because the speed limit circle was not there, in a previous message with an imgur link i highlighted it. It seemed very fast acceleration to me.
  • I have to admit I didn’t notice if the circle was present. I have noticed when driving it doesn’t show up below 6 mph. Next time I’m out I’ll pay more attention to see if it’s ever there while stopped. If it shows up I’ll try to engage.
  • it will show up on roads in which the speed limit is known.
  • Tried it today. It was much faster than I expected. I loved it. Nowhere near 70% but they made it faster...much more like the way I drive (it used to go too slow, really annoying people behind). Maybe someday could be configurable to suit people’s preferences.