Energy Products

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Cost saving doing strange things?

What is going on? It is 5:40 pm here. I have the Cost Saving setting on with 4pm set as peak costs. The 2 PW's were charged to 100% today easily. What is happening now is the Grid is sending 8.8 kW, 6.7 kW to the Power Wall that is still 92% charged, and 2.1 kW to the house. Cost saving should be using the PW's and no Grid. My grid is drawing now 9.5 kW something must be wrong.

This is not cost saving.

Comments?

Comments

• Changed my setting to self power, and all power to the house is being supplied by the grid, no PW's to the house, and the PW's now have been charged back up to 100% charged by the grid. What is going on?
  • Has Storm Watch been activated
  • Sounds like Storm Watch was activated.

Where do live? If you’re currently in CA, much of the state was just issued a Red Flag Warning by the National Weather Service. When Storm Watch is activated on the PW it will automatically charge from the grid regardless of Time of Use.
  • Thanks, I turned storm watch off. It seems to me like not so good a feature. Charging a mostly charged battery during prime usage does not make sense to me. Maybe I am missing something. Northern California, we have no rain or storms for months. What does storm watch supposedly do?

I can not turn storm watch off. The app will not let me.

Thanks
  • I never want to charge my PW's during Peak billing hours. Can you completely disable storm watch? I prefer to manage the back up PW's percentages in the application. For me, this is not a good feature because having a bunch of unknown sources manage my solar energy is not what I want. Talk about control!
  • Storm watch doesn’t differentiate when to charge. It’s a feature that allows people to ensure their batteries are fully charged in case of a power outage

You can turn it off. In settings select customize. On the bottom in the customize section you can turn Storm watch off or on.

I turned it off during Red Flag Warnings because I don’t want to pay money to charge it from the grid when I know the next day I can charge it from solar. I will turn it back on if we do get warnings during an actual storm where I know there will be little to no sun.
  • I decided to turn on Storm Watch since it is very cloudy here (an unusual cloudy Santa Ana wind event) and I want to make sure my battery is fully charged for my TOU peak time today. Glad I did, it started charging from the grid and solar is currently at 0 when it is usually about 1 kw by this time of the morning. Don't know if I will get enough sun to fully charge the battery today. If I do at least all of the power that I just pulled from the grid will be put back by the solar since my battery will already be full
  • As Dodgerking suggests - StormWatch is one of the unique "features" that allow you to really game the system. When it activates - your PW will charge from the grid to something exceeding 95% charge irrespective of grid charges - exactly as you experienced. It is rate agnostic. If you simply turn off StormWatch, the grid charging will cease within a few minutes. So that is how you ended up paying premium rates to charge your PowerWalls. The flip side is then to wait until peak period pricing has stopped and then turn StormWatch back on - to resume charging at off-peak rates. Pretty easy to manipulate. You then have the choice of whether or not to charge from the grid based on your own personal assessment of grid stability and pricing. You can turn Stormwatch on and off multiple times during an event just to see that it works. It is your only opportunity to charge the batteries from the grid - all other times, the only charging of the batteries is done from solar.
    I treat it as entertainment - the actual savings and cost tend to be minimal in most cases. It is extremely valuable if your batteries are significantly discharged - you can recharge them quickly to prepare for a cloudless day or extreme smoke cover that prevents normal solar charging.
    Don't be afraid to experiment (but keep in mind that StormWatch is intended to maximize your ability to keep the lights on during some sort of grid loss).
  • I am currently doing just as Jones suggested. Since it’s currently overcast and I’m producing very little solar (currently putting out 0.8 kWh - normally over 3 kWh at this time), I’m taking advantage of Storm watch to fill my batteries. I will turn it off at 4:00pm so I can again run my house off the battery during the the peak time today. I will leave it off because tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and I will again just use the solar to charge my battery.
  • I’m also taking advantage of it being overcast to wash my panels. No sun is the perfect time. They have a lot of dust from the previous wind event.