General

Tesla Announces CCS1 adapter for 2021.

With Korea choosing CCS1 as its national fast DC charging plug standards, Tesla announced it would build a CCS1>Tesla adapter for Tesla's in the Korean market.

With Asian mfgs turning out the adapter piece ($200 in EU), it should be available to US Tesla owners in earl 2021 also.

"In the first half of 2021, Tesla Korea will officially launch the CCS 1 charging adapter."

"Tesla owners can conveniently recharge their vehicles at 33 Supercharger stations located at the heart of transportation, and more than 150 Destination chargers located at popular hotels and restaurants. In addition, the CCS1 charging adapter is released to enhance the customer experience by allowing access to public charging networks nationwide."

https://electrek.co/2020/12/16/tesla-announces-new-ccs-charging-adapter/

Comments

• Yeah incase you missed it I already created thread about it.
    Too bad you are out of luck again since no NA adapter is reported at this time.
  • This is a good step forward for Tesla to eventually allow all of the other EV's to utilize their Superchargers. Yes you can use the Plug Share app and EA if you are doing a road trip with a non Tesla EV but why not open up the Superchargers to everyone to use?
  • > @bassbone1_98264787 said:
    > This is a good step forward for Tesla to eventually allow all of the other EV's to utilize their Superchargers. Yes you can use the Plug Share app and EA if you are doing a road trip with a non Tesla EV but why not open up the Superchargers to everyone to use?

This has nothing to do with what you just said.
  • Thanks fish for making this happen! I look forward to getting my ccs adaptor. Will I get that by us mail, or FedEx?
  • > @bassbone1_98264787 said: > This is a good step forward for Tesla to eventually allow all of the other EV's to utilize their Superchargers.”

Actually the reverse. Tesla owners will now be able to use all the CCS fast DC chargers out there.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @bassbone1_98264787 said: > This is a good step forward for Tesla to eventually allow all of the other EV's to utilize their Superchargers.”
    >
    > Actually the reverse. Tesla owners will now be able to use all the CCS fast DC chargers out there.
    >
    >

Right, and I'm saying that is a good step in the right direction for Tesla to eventually start allowing all of the other EV's to utilize their Superchargers.
  • > @bassbone1_98264787 said: > Right, and I'm saying that is a good step in the right direction for Tesla to eventually start allowing all of the other EV's to utilize their Superchargers. “

Except that is not happening.
  • Considering that every EV that uses the awful CCS has been a total failure in the USA, not sure why the endless promotion by FISH. It only partly works when a country forces its residents to use it. CCS is successful for automakers who want to limit their EV sales to a small number of compliance vehicles - just enough to allow the sale of ICE pollution generators.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said: > Considering that every EV that uses the awful CCS has been a total failure in the USA, not sure why the endless promotion by FISH. “

Yikes so the Tesla has failed in EU? Did you have some reference to that as you seem to be the only person that’s heard about Tesla failing with the CCS adapter it puts on all EU and Korean vehicles.
  • I never said that. Tesla was forced to switch to using the awful CCS system in Europe and Korea as the local automakers do not want EVs to succeed. I feel sorry for those in Europe/Korea that are stuck with the inferior CCS system. Even with that handicap, Tesla still outsells everyone else - it's just that much better of a car.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > I never said that. Tesla was forced to switch to using the awful CCS system in Europe and Korea as the local automakers do not want EVs to succeed.”

No one including Tesla has had any issues with CCS plugs.
  • CCS -> Tesla plug does not mean other cars can use Tesla's plug.

The trolls are very obvious and should not be taken seriously.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > > I never said that. Tesla was forced to switch to using the awful CCS system in Europe and Korea as the local automakers do not want EVs to succeed.”
    >
    > No one including Tesla has had any issues with CCS plugs.
    >
    >

Right, I see an Audi E-Tron every day in my neighborhood and they seem happy with prob no issues with their CCS charging set up and most likely the existing network of chargers even too.
  • I like lemonade so I should most likely mow my lawn.

Perhaps I'll fire up my TI-99/4A so I can charge my iPhone. I may have to run down to Best Buy to pick up one of those octopus universal plug adapters because they're all the rage.

Plugging the phone into the wall using the plug that it was designed to work with is so inconvenient.
    > Good to hear there is one happy CCS user.”

So all the EU Teslas with CCS have failed? Yikes. All the other EV mfgs have been trouble free with CCS.

Maybe Tesla could hire some of their techs.
  • I can't see how newer EU Tesla owners are happy about the CCS downgrade forced on them by regulators. Still owning a Tesla, the best EVs available, can make up for some regulatory headaches. I'm glad those of us in North America are not forced to use such a substandard CCS system.

When Tesla competitors can't sell cars because they are so undesirable, yes, I guess zero cars sold like the Aptera are trouble-free, unless they actually manufacture and sell one. No need for Tesla to hire techs that don't exist from companies like Aptera either.
  • Could you introduce a virus into your Tesla with ccs charging? Keep the Russians out of my Tesla, NO CCS back doors. :)
    > I can't see how newer EU Tesla owners are happy about the CCS downgrade forced on them by regulators.”

That’s OK. All the Tesla and other EV’ers using the higher rated CCS plugs with no issues know it’s you, not them.
  • Nah wrong one
  • > @WW_Icefree said:
    > Nah wrong one

You can't unBump!
  • https://mobile.twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1351306994175668226

“Car had to be towed to Tesla (cannot charge at all) where a number of replacements was performed. Charger, harness and some hose?

Not sure why external connection to the chargeport can fry the car, did anybody even test that scenario at Tesla I wonder?”
  • @WW_Icefree - Easy to understand why such a faulty designed external connection can be very bad. The car communicates with the power supply - Supercharger, CHAdeMO, or in this weird case CCS. It has to tell what voltage and amperage to provide and it changes by the millisecond to properly taper the charge. Imagine asking for 400v and the supply delivers 1000v due to bad software in the third party CCS adapter. It would fry all sorts of parts in milliseconds. Even tens of volts higher than the required voltage could be very bad for the pack at high currents.

That's why you should NEVER use such a third-party adapter that doesn't warranty the entire car from damage. The damage it causes could easily be in the thousands of dollars, and that assumes Tesla can disconnect the battery quick enough to prevent damage to the main pack. If the main pack is overcharged, it could catch on fire. Tesla seems to have enough protection to prevent this, but you don't really know with a connection not designed by Tesla.

So you are right that Tesla did not test third-party adapters, since they didn't make or approve it's use. Not sure why they would want to test such devices or provide any warranty for them. Only risks and costs to Tesla.

Would you cut the 5v charging wires from your $800 iPhone charger and plug them directly into a 120v outlet for a faster charge? Should Apple test for this condition? Should they warrant a phone for this? Not likely.
  • @TeslaTap.com sorry I just copied it, it was posted by Bighorn as a warning against Fish's claims.