Model 3

Power braking assist reduced

I had model 3 since 2018 but never had any issue till now.

However, I got this issue today after the snow in Boston area with these errors
IBST_a082 Power braking assist reduced
Dl_a245 Vehicle Hold feature unavailable

The braking is very hard now and makes rubbing noise. I do see some snow build up in brakes as my car is parked outside, could it be because of that ?

I also had my brake calipers cleaned, lubricated, during recent service but didn't had issue till this snow.

I have tried reboot by pressing brake+steering wheel buttons multiple times but didn't help. I also drove little bit to check but didn't go away.

Has anyone else faced this ?

Comments

• It sounds like you lost the power assist pump but it could be something caught in the brakes. I would be careful about driving because if something is caught you could destroy a rotor. If you can get it into a warm garage and melt out the snow or call Tesla for a road side assist. But I suggest you do not drive it.
  • edited December 2020
    Putting the car in "Roll" drive status should let you know if you have a stuck brake caliper.

But get it to service ASAP.
  • After two years it is recommended to get your brake fluid checked anyway so schedule an appointment.
  • FISHEV is present. Public Service Announcement:
    FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
    names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
    take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
    suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
    about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    Not a good idea to take anything FISH says into account.
  • I had the same thing happen today. It drove perfectly normal to pick up lunch and had these ettors when I got back. I called Tesla Roadside assistant- they said it was because of the software update I had yesterday, and were going to push out firmware, but ultimately they decided to have it towed.

No resolution yet.
  • I noticed that after a firmware update 2020.48.26 that I got on Dec 26th that error message was gone and power braking was working. I had also scheduled an appointment for Jan 6 and the service person called me yesterday morning and confirmed that the issue is fixed with firmware update and i dont need to visit the service center.

@MNANKIVEL I was wondering if this was just to me but with your comment , looks like it affected multiple cars. What firmware are you on ?
  • @Magic 8 Ball I got this error after the brake fluid check and all other 2 year service that is why I was so confused. I wish they put these kind of important firmware fix details in the release notes.
  • I had the same issue. It was the scariest experience I've had driving. My breaks wouldn't work. For some time, I've been getting some errors saying that my regenerative breaks are reduced and will work after some driving but 2 days ago when i was done with my shopping and started driving the car (Model 3 that I just bought in December 2020) I received an error message Power breaking assist reduced and my actual breaks felt like a brick! I had to press very hard for a car to break! In addition, my autopilot option was gone and I was getting Cruise control will not break option where I didnt even had the option! I took a photo of 6 error messages when I finally made it home. After updating the software, my breaks felt normal but no consistency in how regenerative breaks work - one day they work, another they don't. ONE thing I need my car to do 100% is be able to break, and do it consistently! Tried to schedule service but the closest appointment is 2 weeks out. Starting to regret my purchase as I don't trust my car - not a good feeling at all. (Btw, I took pics and screen shots so for those who blamed it on the scare mongering - this is a real issue!)
  • When regenerative braking is reduced or gone, there are two very common reasons:
    1. Cold. When the battery is cold (I've seen regen reduced on 40F nights if I park outside), regeneration is reduced. The reason is the regeneration uses the cars kinetic energy to try to charge the battery which is what slows the car, but cold batteries can't be charged as quickly. That's why the message pops up telling you that regeneration is reduced.
    2. Charge. If the battery is charged over 90% (IIRC), regeneration is reduced; at 100% regeneration is essentially completely gone. This is the same reason as above - if the battery is nearly full, it charges much slower than otherwise and regeneration has to be reduced because there's nowhere for the car's kinetic energy to go.

If you're seeing inconsistent regeneration on moderate temperature nights when the battery level is below 90%, then it's time for a service center visit. Otherwise, it's the nature of an EV, kinda like the interior heater not working for the first 4 or 5 miles is the nature of an ICE vehicle.
  • > @Olga_K11 said: I received an error message Power breaking assist reduced and my actual breaks felt like a brick! I had to press very hard for a car to break! In addition, my autopilot option was gone and I was getting Cruise control will not break option where I didnt even had the option! I took a photo of 6 error messages when I finally made it home."

You should make a service appointment via the app as none of that is a situation where regen might normally be reduce and certainly braking overall is never reduced.

You can upload the pics of the error messages. If they have a time stamp, that's helpful as they can look at the cars data at that time to see what was causing the errors.
  • > @Tronguy said:
    > FISHEV is present. Public Service Announcement:
    > FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
    > names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
    > take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
    > suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
    > about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    > Not a good idea to take anything FISH says into account.

Really? Because he gave some good advice on this if you ask me.
  • > @Olga_K11 said:
    > I had the same issue. It was the scariest experience I've had driving. My breaks wouldn't work. For some time, I've been getting some errors saying that my regenerative breaks are reduced and will work after some driving but 2 days ago when i was done with my shopping and started driving the car (Model 3 that I just bought in December 2020) I received an error message Power breaking assist reduced and my actual breaks felt like a brick! I had to press very hard for a car to break! In addition, my autopilot option was gone and I was getting Cruise control will not break option where I didnt even had the option! I took a photo of 6 error messages when I finally made it home. After updating the software, my breaks felt normal but no consistency in how regenerative breaks work - one day they work, another they don't. ONE thing I need my car to do 100% is be able to break, and do it consistently! Tried to schedule service but the closest appointment is 2 weeks out. Starting to regret my purchase as I don't trust my car - not a good feeling at all. (Btw, I took pics and screen shots so for those who blamed it on the scare mongering - this is a real issue!)

Your brakes do work it just sounds as though the servo might have an issue, that is why you need to press really hard. Don't regret your purchase. You made a great purchase. All car manufacturers that make hundreds of thousands of cars have a few with issues. Tesla will fix yours, have no doubt.
  • @zerogravitydrgn: Problem with FISHY is that, once in a while, he/she/it will say something sane. Then the other 70%-90% of the time it'll be off the rails. As near as us regulars can tell, this is an attempt to ingratiate with newbies.
    It's kinda like the little boy who cried wolf: If it's wolf calls all over, then how do you know when the truth is out? It's not worth anybody's time trying to sort fact from fiction with this troll.
    I mean, there's indications that Fishy is not a natural human being, but is rather two or more employees of a shill firm paid to disrupt the forum. Word choice, grammar, spelling. And hundreds of posts on any given day when the entity is active.
    Only sane thing people have figured to do is to flag the troll when it appears so that newbies in particular don't get taken in. Leaving it free to spew its garbage (which it does on a regular basis) is not an option.
    You've been warned.
  • > @zerogravitydrgn said:
    > > @Tronguy said:
    > > FISHEV is present. Public Service Announcement:
    > > FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several ....
    >
    > Really? Because he gave some good advice on this if you ask me.

This is part of his schtick. He mixes in a few posts with a bit of truth and a hint of helpfulness that, if read in small samples, can imprint credibility. If you read a slightly larger sample size you will soon see that he is unbelievably argumentative, contrarian, deceptive, and manipulative. And it is very deliberate.