Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Do new 2021 Model Y have USB in Both Glovebox and Center Console

For those who already picked up 2021 Model Ys, do they have all the refreshed features like the new 2021 Model 3s: double-panel front windows, matte center console, the metal control buttons on steering wheel, and Sentry USB port in the glovebox. But does the Center Console still have 2 USB ports for wireless phone charging?

Will Tesla sales advisor be able to confirm these features from my assigned VIN#?

Comments

• > @"Silver Bullet" said:
    > For those who already picked up 2021 Model Ys, do they have all the refreshed features like the new 2021 Model 3s: double-panel front windows, matte center console, the metal control buttons on steering wheel, and Sentry USB port in the glovebox. But does the Center Console still have 2 USB ports for wireless phone charging?
    >
    > Will Tesla sales advisor be able to confirm these features from my assigned VIN#?

Depends on if your adviser hangs out on a forum? Maybe ask him/her. My guess is they may know more about what you bought then a random forum member.
  • MY has 2 USB ports in the center console, one USB c and USB a and another USB inside the glove compartment which is dedicated for the Sentry system and you can add a numeric code to prevent it from opening. But the other USB c in the center console is for your wireless phone charger so in reality you only have one USB available unless you buy on of those USB add on that gives you 4 or 6 USB
  • Took delivery 4 days ago and my car came with all of the updates less the center console. I saw the new center console on the 3 before making the decision to take delivery and I am not sure I like much because does not have a door for the wireless cell phone chargers compartment. Not too crazy about the piano black but I can always wrap it if I get tired of it. So far I think I make a good choice.
  • > @Rustys said:
    > MY has 2 USB ports in the center console, one USB c and USB a and another USB inside the glove compartment which is dedicated for the Sentry system and you can add a numeric code to prevent it from opening. But the other USB c in the center console is for your wireless phone charger so in reality you only have one USB available unless you buy on of those USB add on that gives you 4 or 6 USB

Please confirm where in the Glovebox this USB is...I took delivery of MY on Dec 3...I don't have the metal scroll nobs, neither the center console, doubt the glovebox USB...the double pane window in the front I have...
  • I took delivery thanksgiving week. I had the windows. But no usb in the glovebox, no new metal scroll wheels, no auto dim side mirrors. Still loving the car every time I get into it.
  • Took delivery three days ago. New center console = No. USB in glovebox = Yes.
  • I took delivery Dec 23 (Canada); windows, scroll wheels, USB, auto dim = yes, center console = no
  • Is the glovebox USB a USB C or a USB A?
  • I am at a loss to find the Glovebox USB on my 2021 MY. The 4 in the console no problem. I hooked an SSD to the open USB port in the console and Dashcam and Sentrymode are recording videos even though I keep getting alarms that the USB drive is not there. A new confusion for my old eyes lol
  • Color us blind! We took a better flashlight and lo and behold the glovebox USB jumped right out at us! Now to figure out how to stop the drive and replace it with the ssd I had in the console.
  • Hmmm I just yanked the SSD out of the console, did not know how to stop and eject it. Took it inside and plugged into the usb on my Linux PC. It could not mount the drive. Removed it from the usb case and put the drive into a port inside the PC and could mount and view the videos stored on it. Uninstalled and placed back into the usb container and replugged into the PC usb port. Same thing, would not mount the drive.
  • Ok powered down the PC removed the ssd, housed in a usb adapter case, and put it into a Linux laptop. It immediately mounted and all files are readable. So now I am confused more than ever, but, on a much higher plane. Moving on to another question I have is why do I need the USB in the glovebox and the ssd in the console? Should I remove the usb in the glovebox and replace it with the greater capacity ssd I had in the console. How was Tesla manipulating and moving data between the two?
  • Stopped Sentry and Dashcame, removed the Tesla USB drive from the glovebox and inserted the SSD in the USB adapter case. Restarted Sentry and Dashcam, no alarms so far.
  • Put the Tesla USB into a linux driven laptop and it would in not auto mount. Forced it to mount and format is unrecognizable. An interrupted format job maybe? Proceeding to do a low level format of the drive and see if it was just a defective drive causing our alarms.
  • Sorry Josh, the Glovebox is a USB A, the console are all USB C at least on my MY 2021.
  • I just picked up my MYLR on Monday evening. First Tesla ever! I have not looked into or activated the Sentry Guard yet. Do I need to buy a USB jump drive for this, or is one already installed in the vehicle? Is there a separate SSD drive that is supposed to be connected/installed somewhere? I'd like to use the Sentry Guard, but I do not know how it works. Will go and try to watch some tutorial videos. Thanks.
  • > @RobbW said:
    > I just picked up my MYLR on Monday evening. First Tesla ever! I have not looked into or activated the Sentry Guard yet. Do I need to buy a USB jump drive for this, or is one already installed in the vehicle? Is there a separate SSD drive that is supposed to be connected/installed somewhere? I'd like to use the Sentry Guard, but I do not know how it works. Will go and try to watch some tutorial videos. Thanks.

MYLR comes with a USB (I guess 64GB) in the glovebox for your sentry guard videos. You can replace it with a SSD if you wish to. I have not seen a need for it.
  • Hi RobbW, your Tesla should come with a 128GB USB drive pre-installed inside the glove compartment on the left hand side. To enable Sentry mode, you can do it from your phone app. Go to "Controls" and toggle Sentry Mode on. Or you can press the Sentry Mode icon on your screen at the top right hand corner.
  • Is there any benefit to having an additional drive in the console?

I ordered a 32gb stick and got 2 errors over the first few days of driving. ...Went to try plugging it in the glovebox instead, only to find the included 128gb stick. Dashcam and Sentry working perfectly.
  • > @azntesla said:
    > Hi RobbW, your Tesla should come with a 128GB USB drive pre-installed inside the glove compartment on the left hand side. To enable Sentry mode, you can do it from your phone app. Go to "Controls" and toggle Sentry Mode on. Or you can press the Sentry Mode icon on your screen at the top right hand corner.

Ha! Yep! Went and looked in the glovebox and found the installed Tesla-branded USB drive for Sentry mode. I had no idea it came with a USB drive already. All I have seen online and in the Tesla tutorial videos is how to format a USB drive for Sentry mode. Nothing anywhere mentioned that it already had the drive. I didn't find this out until after I had already ordered a 128GB Samsung Pro Endurance microSD disk and a Rocketek USB adapter drive from Amazon (this combo was recommended in several videos I saw about USB drives for Sentry mode). Oh well, guess I'll have a backup drive in case the Tesla USB stick ever goes kaput!
  • they were shipping with a 64gb stick but in january started shipping with a 128gb. it is hard to find if you don't know already where it is. the mobile guys didn't know where it was when they came to service....lol
  • > @"Silver Bullet" said:
    > For those who already picked up 2021 Model Ys, do they have all the refreshed features like the new 2021 Model 3s: double-panel front windows, matte center console, the metal control buttons on steering wheel, and Sentry USB port in the glovebox. But does the Center Console still have 2 USB ports for wireless phone charging?
    >
    > Will Tesla sales advisor be able to confirm these features from my assigned VIN#?

I picked up my Y February 16. It has a USB in the glove box with a Tesla 128 GB thumb drive. I removed it, partitioned a 500 GB SSD to allow sentry and music and plugged it in. There are no USB ports in the center console that I've seen.
  • > @rubear said:

> There are no USB ports in the center console that I've seen.

That would mean you wouldn't have a place for a game controller or USB drive for music.

Perhaps you just haven't looked well enough.