Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

iphone 12 won't connect after 2020.12.48.1 update

I have rebooted iphone, rebooted tesla (holding down steering wheel buttons and brake) and it just won't recognize phone. Worked fine until this update. Any suggestions?

Comments

• For starters, you needn't press the brake for a reboot. That step was from "back in the day". Tesla has since simplified the basic reboot to just pressing the the scroll wheels until the screen goes black and then you let go.

Go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and "forget" your car. Go to the Bluetooth settings in the car and "Forget" your phone. Then re-pair your phone. That should do the trick.
  • I have rebooted iphone, rebooted tesla (holding down steering wheel buttons and brake) and it just won't recognize phone. Worked fine until this update. Any suggestions?
  • Did you also update iOS on your phone? Check the iOS settings for the Tesla app and make sure Bluetooth is enabled there.
  • Did you follow jordanrichard’s suggestion to forget device in both the car and your phone? EVRider has another tip. That resolved the issue for others that had the same issue.
  • An older thread helped me solve this. It suggested forgetting other Bluetooth devices in the phone, in my case a pair of earbuds. I then restarted my phone. I added my iPhone again, although the old connection was still listed (but unconnectable”. I DIDN’T delete the old listing until the new one was connected, as the phone key was working fine, just not syncing my contacts, music, etc. I suspect/hope that if i now re-add my earbuds (or anything else Bluetooth) to my iPhone, the fact that the Tesla is first in the devices list might do the trick long-term. Like others, I’d experienced this on multiple occasions previously and suspected a Tesla software update was the problem, and it still might be... but definitely Forgetting my Bluetooth earbuds on iPhone worked... for now.
  • I had some trouble pairing my iPhone 12. It worked fine as a car key but would not pair up with the phone to make calls. I did all the recommendations and it still would not pair. Then I renamed the phone to something different than my previous iPhone and after a few more tries it worked. Hope it continues to connect and hope this might help another user.