Model 3

Can we get the Pedestrian speaker retrofitted

My wife's model 3 got the new update! wow is it cool. I'm wondering if i can retrofit the PS onto my 2018 Model 3?

Happy Holidays!

Comments

• Toss a coin
  • I was curious about the same thing, I have a 2018 AWD. Thought maybe TSLA would install one for a price. Plan to call TSLA service.
  • I remember Elon tweeted that it wasn't easily doable but i also read that Tesla is doing the retrofit in EU...so maybe its possible.
  • Unrelated video but it gives you a good look at the speaker and it’s connector. You could look to see if the wire and speaker mount is present in your wife’s car. That would make it an easy add.

https://youtu.be/UhcMbA_LLfo
  • Hey everyone, this is my first post, but I came across this last night when I couldn’t find it on my model Y. Weirdly enough, I took delivery in the middle of September so I guess I just missed the cutoff. Just talked to my local Tesla dealer/support where I bought it, and they said they can’t add it even if I pay for it. Kinda sucks that my first big update is a let down. I guess I’m going to try to install something myself. Just wanted to give you all a heads up. Hopefully you’ll have better luck. Happy Holidays!
  • > @CoachSmalls said:
    > Hey everyone, this is my first post, but I came across this last night when I couldn’t find it on my model Y. Weirdly enough, I took delivery in the middle of September so I guess I just missed the cutoff. Just talked to my local Tesla dealer/support where I bought it, and they said they can’t add it even if I pay for it. Kinda sucks that my first big update is a let down. I guess I’m going to try to install something myself. Just wanted to give you all a heads up. Hopefully you’ll have better luck. Happy Holidays!

After reading more on this simply adding a speaker will probably not work either. It appears your car must be setup with software to support the configuration.

Don't worry be happy. There will be plenty more disappointments to come for your future posts.
  • Stop by the service center and say that your car can't fart on the outside of the car. See what they say.
  • I thought ALL model "Y"s made after 2019 had the speaker. Isn't it required now? Do you hear a flying saucer humm when you go in reverse? If you just got your car in September 2020 you should have the speaker.

Check out this post on TMC

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/wanted-model-3-y-pedestrian-warning-speaker.207929/page-2
  • Way to funny last year people were complaining about pedestrian warning system and that they want to have silent Tesla, this year it the reverse thing. You can't please everyone I guess.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > I thought ALL model "Y"s made after 2019 had the speaker. Isn't it required now? Do you hear a flying saucer humm when you go in reverse? If you just got your car in September 2020 you should have the speaker.
    >
    > Check out this post on TMC
    >
    > https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/wanted-model-3-y-pedestrian-warning-speaker.207929/page-2
    >

I’m positive it doesn’t have it. It doesn’t make the UFO sound. To be honest, I don’t super geek over this stuff so I had heard of the speaker, but I didn’t know what it did. I just assumed I had it. I had it in for service last weekend and heard a car make the UFO sound and said “what I’m the world is that noise?”

I just wanted to mess around with the new features and add some sounds. I had no idea about the noise complaints and stuff. Genuinely didn’t know that’s what it did.
  • If your car is September 2020 it should be there. If its not I bet the wiring is.

If you want to fond out of the speaker or wires are there here is a video that shows where to look.

https://youtu.be/UhcMbA_LLfo
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > If your car is September 2020 it should be there. If its not I bet the wiring is.
    >
    > If you want to fond out of the speaker or wires are there here is a video that shows where to look.
    >
    > https://youtu.be/UhcMbA_LLfo
    >

I’m going to look for it. Was just surprised service refused or wasn’t equipped to do it. Maybe I’ll soon find it’s a pain and that’s why lol
  • I suspect that IF Tesla could do the retrofit, it would be expensive - lots of labor to add a new wiring harness all the way back to the computer module. Also, there's a slight chance that the computer module itself has had a small rev to maybe add another audio out port to support the PWS (this is a guess, but possible).
  • The service center will probably know later about how to do it.
  • I purchased the end of Sept, 2019

But my car was made in August. I missed out by a couple weeks.
  • Most seemed to be in a rush to get the non speaker car before the legislated audio warnings. Elon has flipped the script.
  • Just wanted to follow up with everyone- I took the front trunk out and looked down in there tonight. The bottom of the bumper has the spot for the speaker and I’m 99% sure I found the wire that connects to the speaker. It wasn’t as taped off and easy to find like the one video showed, but it was close. Just had to do a little mor digging. I found a wire with what looks like the connector from the video. I think it’s safe to assume there wouldn’t be another wire there that isn’t plugged in to anything lol. But alas, it’s there. Going to look for the part when I have some spare time.
  • Here is a YouTube video about the possibility of adding a speaker so you can do the new Boombox feature: https://youtu.be/a7WsoegGNlY The results were not very successful.
  • Doesn’t work. Save the effort.
  • I have a June 2020 Y. No speaker was installed so no boom box on the update. I bought the speaker at Tesla in San Diego today. Found the wiring harness and installed it. Did a hard reset (double thumb click on steering wheel) and now I have the UFO sound. But it didn’t download any new software. So hopefully it gets pushed on the next update. If the updates are VIN driven then I’m out $59.00 and I will probably disconnect it.
  • I'm tickled pink that I do not have the speaker, boombox, aka noisemakers as I purchased my P3 in August 2018. I find this love affair with sharing farts to the outside world somewhat hysterical. For me, silence is golden...
  • Silence is golden but a well-timed cheese rumbler is goldener.
  • Older cars are now considered “silent, but deadly” by the government.
  • HAHAHA!
  • Mine is Model Y delivered on SEPTEMBER 5th NHTSA mandate law on September 1st should have fitted this pedestrian speaker right before handling the vehicle to me.
    So hard to trust this type of automotive company cannot even do one thing right.
    I need my pedestrian speaker to avoid more collision and near misses with pedestrians. Retrofit will help this situation that causes more injuries due to not having noise to aware phone using pedestrians.