Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Getting really fed up with Tesla & USB music!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• I wonder if something like this would work? Might allow music and video streaming to Tesla?

SSK 1TB Personal Cloud External Wireless Hard Drive Portable NAS Storage with WiFi Hotspot for Travel, Support Auto-Backup Connect SD Card Reader Share Data for iPhone iPad Tablet Smart Phone Laptop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081CD34DP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_6MB.Fb6WDG579?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • > @starwangle_98546721 said:
    > I have many thousands of dollars invested in my music collection and I'd like to listen to it, not pay you a monthly premium bandwidth fee so I can stream crap over the internet!

Maybe you can have your cake and sort of - just sort of get to eat it, too?

I also have a very large library of FLAC files and prefer my music as lossless as possible. My in-car solution is to use a PLEX home media server that fantastically arranges all of my music, downloads art and lets me create endless playlists/album variations, etc. Then I use their PLEXAMP app to stream it to my phone, and thus, my car.

I get uncompressed FLAC beamed like a rainbow over the internet from my own computer at home to my mobile device wherever I am in the world without a subscription fee. And, I can change, update or add stuff at home and I don't have to remember to update a drive in the car.

Now, since you have to go through bluetooth you'll lose a little last step quality, but to be honest, it's pretty great compared to super lossy compressed streamed audio from Spotify. You can log into your PLEX account via the web browser in the car, but that doesn't work great for music since you can't minimize it (wait, can you!?) while driving to see navigation.

But with the PLEXAMP app, you can bluetooth it, and if you have an iPhone you can tell it to autoplay when bluetooth engages so it's handsfree and picks up where you left off. It's not perfect, but it's pretty great for taking your library around without filling up your phone's memory. And you're in control over the audio compression, if any, you allow.

Wanna go offline, tap the songs/albums you wanna download/sync from your home library to your phone and it's done.

That said, spotify is way too convenient to not use... Good luck!
  • matterpro, I've been looking into setting up Plex myself so it's good hear you've had success there - thanks for that! I just would really rather NOT stream it, as even with Plex I'd be streaming to my phone (which costs data) to then stream to my car. I know you said there's a download option too, which is great, but still - It's not possible to download my entire library to my phone (not that I NEED the entire library, of course, but it would be nice to know I could pull up whatever I wanted at any time, you know?)

BUT...if they could just fix the myriad USB issues, and give it voice commands to boot...I'd be sooooo happy... :)
  • @vanfriscia true, streaming uncompressed music brings my phone data plan to its knees if I'm not careful. If nothing else, PLEX is just a great addition to the tool box.
  • Might a wireless streaming hard drive work? I have never tried it myself but maybe someone has.
  • The only way a streaming hard drive, which really just sets up an ad hoc wireless network, would work is if the infotainment system had a way to not only connect to it wirelessly but also let you choose the drive as a media server.

We do this on road trips for the kids, where I have a small hard drive attached to a small ad hoc wireless router and the kids can use VLC to see the drive as a media server and watch whatever they want on their devices (I use one like this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Router-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01N5RCZQH/ref=psdc_300189_t1_B073TSK26W).

But since AFAIK Tesla doesn't provide an app like VLC to manage media from a wireless network drive I'm not sure how that would work.
  • @Frank99, how large of a USB drive do you have? I had been using a 256 GB one without issue. But recently outgrew that. When trying any drive larger than that, I seem to have issues with it being able to load completely. How large is your drive and have you had any issues getting it to load completely?

Thanks!
  • Mine isn't very big - 64GB if I remember correctly. I have a 1000 song playlist that I shuffle play; and I occasionally drop a few albums on it. I haven't seen the need to put my whole 3000+ album library on it, because it just becomes too difficult while driving down the road to find and play a specific song, or even a specific album. Besides, my 1000 songs is 50 hours of music that I can listen to with no repeats; I could do a Cannonball Run on one pass through them! Of course, then I'd hear duplicates on the way back home....

I really only have two current problems with MP3 playback:
    1. The algorithm used by Shuffle play is broken - I shouldn't hear a repeated song for at least a month, and yet I'll often hear a repeat on consecutive days. There are many songs that my car has never played on shuffle, and some that I've heard dozens of times. "Shuffle" isn't the same as "random", but we don't actually have either one. I don't know how to prove this, but I know it to be true.
    2. There was one software release last year where MP3 playback reliably re-started each time I got in the car. Sadly, every other software release in the nearly 3 years I've owned the car doesn't. As a software engineer IRL, the only reasons that I can come up with for this suggest that they assigned the job originally to a summer intern, and have never had a real SW Engineer redo it.

There have been a couple of reports recently of large music collections that were causing issues with the MP3 player. That doesn't surprise me much; I'm pretty sure their summer intern didn't consider someone hooking up 500 GB worth of music.
  • Thanks for the info. I've been converting my whole collection to FLAC (a lossless format), so the file sizes are pretty large. I may just have to pare it back to 256 GB and leave the rest off. I tried both a 1 TB and a 500 GB drive. Both took hours to load. But after loading, only the first song of each album showed up. I wondered if maybe my drive is too slow? Maybe I'll try to chat with the team to see if they have any ideas. Thanks again, though. I always appreciate your input!
  • The USB issues have been there longer than 2 years.

When I got my first Model S in early 2016, USB playback worked flawlessly. At some point, maybe a year later, and update started causing lots of loading errors during playback. It got so bad that I had to stop listening to the USB and stream from my iPhone instead.

The loading errors improved over time, and rarely happen now (for me). However, in both our 2018 Model S and 2018 Model 3, resuming USB playback from where it left works maybe 20-30% of the time.
  • @bddaughe - If it's taking hours to load, the drive could be painfully slow. Most cheap drives are really bad and hard drives are a poor choice. I use a USB 3.0 256 GB, about 90% full, and about 95% FLAC and 5% MP3. Around 8,000 songs. Loads in about 1 minute now with MCU2. With MCU1 (same car) it took about 3-4 minutes to load.

One reason only some songs appear is if the drive is fake. It's bought as a large drive, but it really is a tiny drive. Writes work fine, but when attempting to read, much of it is missing and it takes much longer to read as errors are retried a number of times. Here's a lot more from an article I wrote:
    https://cammem.com/tesla/fakes-and-counterfeits/
  • @TeslaTap.com, my previous 256 GB drive loads just like yours. No issues at all. But as soon as I went above 256, it took hours to load and things didn't show up properly. If I thought it would work, I'd buy a really high quality 512 GB thumb drive, but hate to spend $100+ if it ends up not working.
  • @TeslaTap.com, thank you so much for that suggestion. I downloaded the recommended tool and did a quick size test. At about 95% complete, it couldn't write any longer. It either has some sort of corruption or the drive is limited in some way. I'm sending it back and will try to get a higher quality one. Thanks again for your contributions to this forum.
  • SiriusXM would be nice on the 3 and Y, but yes I use it thought my iPhone.
  • I don't care any post with _46507681064 user name.
  • Others have said this, but I agree...just move your collection to your smartphone and use bluetooth, or maybe you can get an MP3 player that supports bluetooth. I'm sure someone makes an aux to bluetooth adapter if you want to use your $100 chinese MP3 player. I agree that the USB music sucks. I have a lot of music on USB also, but I tried it twice and realized the software sucks and now I just stream slacker...
  • @SteveWin1 - Not sure if you're complaining about the audio quality or UI. The USB provides the absolute best audio quality, as every other source is compressed in a lossy way. Now if you have poor audio quality from the USB, it is likely the source material or encoding. Use FLAC, which is a lossless format. Of course, the source material should also not be lossy. Converting an MP3 to FLAC does nothing to improve the audio quality.

Now, many of us like the convenience of lossy downloads (almost all are lossy), and the audio quality of a high-bit-rate MP3 is quite good. Streaming or using Bluetooth is not high-bitrate. Using XM is the worse with a very low bit rate (it was designed 30+ years ago).

As for the UI, I find it fine. Lots of options to play how I'd like it. It could be better, but I can say that of every audio system I've used.
  • >>> .just move your collection to your smartphone and use bluetooth
    I appreciate you telling me how I should enjoy my car and my music. My life will be much better for your counsel.
  • I cant understand the need for the highest fidelity while driving a car with all the road noise, wind noise, tire noise etc. I can understand it while sitting in a home listening room with all the necessary set up for high fidelity listening, or even with uber expensive headphones...but in a moving car? Overkill.
  • @NorthValley - That's true of most ICE cars, as the engine noise hides any hope of quality music listening. An EV while not silent it is so much quieter, you can actually hear music in ways not possible in an ICE car. At 70+ mph, road and wind noise will intrude even in an EV, but at lower speeds, there can be discernable difference between a low-quality music source and the best source.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @NorthValley - That's true of most ICE cars, as the engine noise hides any hope of quality music listening. An EV while not silent it is so much quieter, you can actually hear music in ways not possible in an ICE car. At 70+ mph, road and wind noise will intrude even in an EV, but at lower speeds, there can be discernable difference between a low-quality music source and the best source.

I guess you have better ears than me!
  • I have the same issue as the original poster. I use bandcamp and all my files are in FLAC. I also converted all of my CD's to FLAC and have all of my music collection saved on external drives. I occasionally like to load my FLACS to a USB, and have them play on my USB enabled vehicle. I did this on a 2017 Honda Accord Coupe with no issues. Well, when I had that car, I had to convert them to MP3, but you get the point.

My 2021 M3 LR doesn't remember the last folder I played. It cannot for the life of me display my music in the format I want them to be displayed. It doesn't show album covers. There's no easy way to skip folders, unless I am missing something, I can skip to other tracks.

People who say to just put the music on a phone and stream it is laughable. These are FLACS and the quality from a phone, with lossy files, streamed via Bluetooth? laughable!

The devs need to get on the ball with this one. Make it easier to play music from USB and stop catering to spotify or subscription based services.
  • > @Frank99 said:
    > > @RSX50 said:
    > > I’m sorry but I don’t understand this rant. As others have said USB music seems to have gone the way of cassettes and CD’s. Just put the music on your phone and stream it.
    >
    > Thanks for telling me how I should want to enjoy my music and my car. My life will be so much better now.
    >
    >
    >

Companies don’t typically offer things or make changes to appease a small percentage of users. USBs for music are probably used by a very small percentage of Tesla owners.

I understand your frustration. But it is a antiquated method of listening to music. And would be akin to complaining about no disc player in the vehicle.

For every change Tesla makes. 100 people love it and 100 people hate it. That’s always going to be the case. I really liked the UI changes with the holiday update while many hated it. That’s life
  • > @kneught said:
    > Companies don’t typically offer things or make changes to appease a small percentage of users. USBs for music are probably used by a very small percentage of Tesla owners.
    >
    > I understand your frustration. But it is a antiquated method of listening to music. And would be akin to complaining about no disc player in the vehicle.
    >
    > For every change Tesla makes. 100 people love it and 100 people hate it. That’s always going to be the case. I really liked the UI changes with the holiday update while many hated it. That’s life
    >

You're not wrong, but just saying - if the car has a USB media player option, it shouldn't be broken. The best thing you can say about it is that you can pick an MP3 and it'll play it. That's about it.

They don't need to actively develop the feature. They just need to get the basics working while not breaking it every time they update other portions of the media player. I don't think that's too much to ask.