Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

New Display Layout is Horrendous

They've completely screwed up the layout. It's asymmetric, the speed is smaller then it was and it's on the left instead of centered. They have a duplicate speed next to the Speed, that was there before but it wasn't prominent, the P D N R is tiny and grey so it's practically unreadable and it's modal so all the information goes away when you park. Elon mentioned that they might be adding customization, they desperately need to add it. Who ever did this should be fired.

Comments

• One more thing that's wrong, touching the infotainment section causes it to slide up. Skipping a song or doing a thumbs up/down shouldn't alter the display.
  • I agree with bjrosen. The fonts are entirely too small and putting pdnr on the left edge in light colors is not helpful. I also thought the main speed should be bigger. This is an old guy’s opinion.

I did like the new visualizations.
  • I like it as well but very much agree it has taken some time to get used to it.
  • Agree with bjrosen. There is another thread on this but I do think it’s worth posting in multiple places. The new UI is not as easy to read and it allots more space to the visualizations that at least for me have little use. I don’t have FSD and the only thing I use that section for is parking distance indicators. While I am pretty sure down the road there is a reason to do this probably to enhance FSD but as far as I am concerned it’s a joke. I admit I have not driven it and have only looked a videos but for now I am not pushing accept because there is, as far as I know, no going back once I do.
  • FSD doesn't require any visualizations so I don't understand the focus on them. You need to see your speed but you don't need to see the visualizations.
  • Why is speed such an issue all of the time? Do people really look at it that often? My girlfriend has a Mini Cooper with a center mounted analog speedo. That is close to functionally useless and I’ve never been remotely concerned about it.
  • Uhhh why is speed so important? Because a ticket in MA between the credit loss and surcharges for multiple years is easily $3k. More than 11 over you risk getting pulled over, less than 7 over you risk getting run over :-)
  • I’ve lived in MA. Now CT. Somehow I avoid speeding without starting at the speedometer constantly.
  • If you drive the same speed as the traffic around you, you won't be singled out by the police.
  • > @"Joe M" said:
    > Uhhh why is speed so important? Because a ticket in MA between the credit loss and surcharges for multiple years is easily $3k. More than 11 over you risk getting pulled over, less than 7 over you risk getting run over :-)

Before this update I constantly control myself, not to be too crazy. Maximum 20-25 km over the maximum. Today I just gave up, couldn't focus on a small speedometer and road at the same time.
  • > @ibladuell_98727009 said:
    > Only odd thing is battery level being gray instead of green. Bet in next software update it goes back to green as its easier to read day or night.

Now it's green when charging in a process :(
  • I think the new display is a vast improvement.
  • Isn't it enough that old guys get to be President, now they want control over our displays as well???

> @bmortonco_98409198 said:
    > I agree with bjrosen. The fonts are entirely too small and putting pdnr on the left edge in light colors is not helpful. I also thought the main speed should be bigger. This is an old guy’s opinion.
    >
    > I did like the new visualizations.
  • > @"Joe M" said:
    > Your day will come when you have to hand something over to someone else to read because the prints too small :-)

It will be a menu at a restaurant most likely.
  • Think about it - how much time do you spend looking at the car visualization while you’re driving? None for me. This is a cool gimmick for selling cars (when you sit a prospective buyer in the cockpit to see the controls), but does little functionally. I’d rather spend those CPU cycles doing something more important than accurately animating my doors and windows. You don’t open doors while you’re driving. When someone opens a window, they already know exactly how open it is because they are looking at it.
  • New vs. old display, I'm ok with either, but I am looking forward to someday having an option to increase the font size (clock, temperature, warnings, map route numbers). My distance vision is still fine, but I find 8 pt fonts difficult to read, which could be considered a safety issue if you have to take your eyes off the road longer than a brief instant.