Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

New Display Layout is Horrendous

Comments

• I think the left side of the screen got bigger for a future reason ;-)
  • I have good enough vision to hold a drivers license (wish it were better though..lol) I too have to strain to see the numbers reflecting speed and cruise control set-speed while driving (I know, I know....) The gears being tiny- not as much a big deal, but it would make me feel much more comfortable and not so anxious if I could easily see the speed I'm setting and driving at while I'm moving down the road. Jealous of those with better vision than me, but what can ya do.. just would be nice to have the option to increase the size if desired. It isn't only old timers that have poor vision, I'm 42. I'm thankful to be able to see what I can though :)
  • Someone will need to explain to me the importance of being able to see the transmission mode I am in. If I am moving forward I know I am in D. If I am going backwards I know I am in R etc. When I change 'gear' there is a great big letter that appears to tell me what I have selected. Not being funny, just don't get the importance of seeing it in big letters while I am driving...?
  • > @FatFergus said:
    > Tesla, this new update is TERRIBLE ! The much smaller Speedo (and Gear selectors) is verging on being dangerous because you glance at it for too long (with “older” eyes. Also one of the huge pluses for the Model 3 was the size of the Maps. These 2 issues alone are dealbreakers for me. Please wind it back !

Of you don't want to be labeled troll. Don't post same thing in 10 threads including your own.
  • > @FatFergus said:
    > Tesla, this new update is TERRIBLE ! The much smaller Speedo (and Gear selectors) is verging on being dangerous because you glance at it for too long (with “older” eyes. Also one of the huge pluses for the Model 3 was the size of the Maps. These 2 issues alone are dealbreakers for me. Please wind it back !

How often do you stare at the gear selector while your driving? I actually like the most of new view. I am not sure how I feel about the top info area yet but its NOT TERRIBLE!. My eyes are bad too but If you cant see the speedo should you be driving? Elon has said customizable screens are coming. You may be able to get your preferences back then.

Sorry, your vote to wind it back is canceled by my vote to keep it moving forward. Its rumored that the visualizations area will get even bigger when City Streets is released so you should prepare your self or execute your deal-breaker option now.
  • > @FatFergus said:
    > > @HAL2001 said:
    > > > @FatFergus said:
    > > > Tesla, this new update is TERRIBLE ! The much smaller Speedo (and Gear selectors) is verging on being dangerous because you glance at it for too long (with “older” eyes. Also one of the huge pluses for the Model 3 was the size of the Maps. These 2 issues alone are dealbreakers for me. Please wind it back !
    > >
    > > How often do you stare at the gear selector while your driving? I actually like the most of new view. I am not sure how I feel about the top info area yet but its NOT TERRIBLE!. My eyes are bad too but If you cant see the speedo should you be driving? Elon has said customizable screens are coming. You may be able to get your preferences back then.
    > >
    > > Sorry, your vote to wind it back is canceled by my vote to keep it moving forward. Its rumored that the visualizations area will get even bigger when City Streets is released so you should prepare your self or execute your deal-breaker option now.
    >
    > Clearly you are missing the point. Not everyone is going to have FSD. Some people just want to drive the car. We will all have varying needs, so if the layout is user configurable taking all these sorts of points into consideration, then everyone should be happy. This IS an issue because looking at the general feedback out there, there’s just as many (if not more) owners saying that the new UI is not good as there are those that like it.

And you based your opinion on 20 people complaining here? Out of hundreds thousands of Tesla owners?
  • > @FatFergus said:
    > there’s just as many (if not more) owners saying that the new UI is not good as there are those that like it.

Where did you pull those figures from?

I certainly understand you want to customize the screen. Everyone prefers things their way. But saying you can barely see the Speedo and that makes the car Dangerous makes me wonder if you should be driving. You may want to use FSD more if your eyesight is that bad.
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    >
    > And you based your opinion on 20 people complaining here? Out of hundreds thousands of Tesla owners?
    ——————-
    Oh dear ........... not even worth commenting on.
  • > @FatFergus said:
    > > @WW_icefree said:
    > >
    > > And you based your opinion on 20 people complaining here? Out of hundreds thousands of Tesla owners?
    > ——————-
    > Oh dear ........... not even worth commenting on.

I was giving you the benefit of Doubt but I see now your just a Troll. Joined today and has nothing to say. Smells Fishy to me.
  • Only drove errands today with the new software. I like the new layout. Give it time, some people just don't like change. YMMV.
  • I'm still getting used to the new display. You're not going to pass the vision test at the DMV when you go to renew your license if you can't read the new font for MPH. Your eyesight isn't good enough. I've never had problems determining if I was going backwards or not. But if you have that problem, I guess you should get autopilot.
  • > @FatFergus said:
    > "The much smaller Speedo (and Gear selectors) is verging on being dangerous because you glance at it for too long (with “older” eyes."

You're not going to pass the vision test at the DMV when you go to renew your driver's license.
  • All this talk got me to take the Model 3 out of hibernation. I think the improved autopilot handling and recognition of the surroundings outweighs losing an inch of screen real estate. Supercharger statuses are another bonus. They've also remedied the scheduled finish charging routine, customizable to TOU.

If you have trouble making out the PRND, you'd best get your eyes checked. I wear a cheap pair of OTC progressive readers with a suboptimal refraction and a couple diopters of presbyopic add, and had no issue at all. There are smaller fonts elsewhere on the screen.

Most flubs are corrected in future FW, so I wouldn't bank on this being a permanent situation if enough people are driving visually compromised and making a fuss about it.
  • And as someone who uses Nav more than anybody, I don't see an issue with the new sizing of the map.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > I think the left side of the screen got bigger for a future reason ;-)

> @HAL2001 said:
    Its rumored that the visualizations area will get even bigger when City Streets is released so you should prepare your self or execute your deal-breaker option now.

If Tesla is going to continue constantly re-configuring the basic user interface for all Teslas for the future city street driver assistance feature then perhaps they should provide it for free to those that don't have or want to use the driver assistance features. There should at a minimum be a legacy feature for the user interface. It has been one of the more frustrating issues. Just when you get used to where things are on the screen they change. It is just one more example of Tesla ignoring the basic car for future driver assistance features that the majority do not have or want. Not to mention are not more than entertaining gimmicks that still require the driver to be in constant control and responsible for the car.
  • Well, I've been under the weather for a couple of days and so, wasn't driving. Felt better today, so took the car and its new UI on a several mile trip to get printer ink and back.
    OK: So, it's different. I, too, have old people eyes: It didn't bother me particularly. Different, yes, That different that I want to run around screaming? Nope. Slight comment: The "power bar" that indicates how much umph or regeneration one is getting is a bit thinner than I'd like, but a big deal, it's not.
    The SO, who, as it turns out, is a real by-golly Ergonomics engineer with the education and chops who designs computer displays, drove it around some and claimed that she liked it.
    So, meh.
    As regards the map size: When not driving the Telsa around, I'm driving a 2010-vintage Prius that didn't come with cutesy GUIs. On that car, it's a cell-phone based GPS (hello, Waze!) that takes me to work and back. The amount of screen display in the Tesla is still at least 5X the size of that cell phone area, so, what the heck.
    My thought is that this is a step in the direction of the GUI that'll support FSD. We'll see, but there's nothing truly wrong with the new one and maybe some stuff that Tesla is doing right. Typically, GUI changes like this are put through extensive testing (my comment: Rats through the Maze) with people who have and haven't seen the original GUI, with tasks that are graded for time and accuracy, followed by ANOVA statistics up the kazoo. Mind you, I'm simply married to one of the people who do that kind of thing for a living, but I do pick up on the rough basics from having to listen to the kvetching that goes on :smile: .
  • new UI takes up too much screen real estate
  • What is VERY interesting is many of the people crying about the new layout just joined the forum in the last 24-48 hours. Hummm I wonder why.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > What is VERY interesting is many of the people crying about the new layout just joined the forum in the last 24-48 hours. Hummm I wonder why.
    >
    >
    My wife will divorce me soon, she is tired to hear how much I complain about the new UI. I need a new audience :)