Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

New Display Layout is Horrendous

Comments

• > @Atoms said:
    > This is what happens when really good programmers are put in charge of the UI. Programmers rarely have expertise in UI. Really should allow users to design their own. Then owners could submit to the community for evaluation and rating. The best will float to the top.

majority want mediocre bullshit. no thanks
  • “Who in the hell designed this??“
    Someone who isn’t left eye dominant?...
  • edited December 2020
    > @gabarber_98418288 said:
    > Definitely a distracting downgrade - wish I could go back.. First of if you are left eye dominant (I am) and drive with hands at 10 and 2 positions on the wheel - your right hand now blocks parts of the display on the upper left where they have now placed the headlight states and gears.

The Model 3 steering wheel is designed for hands at 9 and 3, not 10 and 2 (which by the way is the airbag-era recommendation); that's why the thumb wheels are where they are.

With my right hand a 3, I can see those icons.
  • I keep one hand at 7 or 5, sometimes both at 7 and 5
  • I often have one hand at 12 and the other on the center console; stick shift habits die hard.
  • No arguments with icefree and atoms and all. Interestingly, I mentioned this conversation to the SO, suggesting that perhaps Real Good Studies were being done. She rolled her eyes at me and said, "Likely not".
    Problem is: Just because some GUI developer can write code that calls up cutesy graphics doesn't mean that those cutesy graphics actually have real studies behind them. In particular, she raised Steve Jobs's Ghost, stating that Steve wouldn't let Apple products out the door unless _he_ was satisfied that whatever-product-it-was was easy to use. Steve didn't have formal training in HF, but he did have good instincts. And both the SO and my daughter (who was present) both thought that marketing (i.e., shiny doo-dads) had more to do with car interior design than proper HF practice, Tesla or no Tesla.
    They both agreed that the furor over the UI changes had the same flavor as the maniacal arguments that go on in the user base every time Facebook changes their GUI: There's always going to be somebody who doesn't like it :smile: .
    Me, I like the GUI's, both oldest, old, and newest. Ask me in a month if the newest one is better or worse than the others.
  • > @Tronguy said:
    > No arguments with icefree and atoms and all. Interestingly, I mentioned this conversation to the SO, suggesting that perhaps Real Good Studies were being done. She rolled her eyes at me and said, "Likely not".
    > Problem is: Just because some GUI developer can write code that calls up cutesy graphics doesn't mean that those cutesy graphics actually have real studies behind them. In particular, she raised Steve Jobs's Ghost, stating that Steve wouldn't let Apple products out the door unless _he_ was satisfied that whatever-product-it-was was easy to use. Steve didn't have formal training in HF, but he did have good instincts. And both the SO and my daughter (who was present) both thought that marketing (i.e., shiny doo-dads) had more to do with car interior design than proper HF practice, Tesla or no Tesla.
    > They both agreed that the furor over the UI changes had the same flavor as the maniacal arguments that go on in the user base every time Facebook changes their GUI: There's always going to be somebody who doesn't like it :smile: .
    > Me, I like the GUI's, both oldest, old, and newest. Ask me in a month if the newest one is better or worse than the others.

My wife likes it, she said she doesn't look at the map when she drives.
  • I am also left eye dominant but I sit nowhere near enough the steering wheel for that to be an issue.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > @gabarber_98418288 said:
    > The Model 3 steering wheel is designed for hands at 9 and 3, not 10 and 2 (which by the way is the airbag-era recommendation); that's why the thumb wheels are where they are.
    >
    +1 It is also the requirement for using the driver assistance features.
  • I am not a fan of the new updated display. The large aerial navigation was pleasing to look at and the small section with the car view was tolerable but not necessary. Now the car section is a large part of the screen, blindingly white and rather obnoxious. Tesla, please give us the option to choose the display setting so those of us accustomed to the larger navigation view can choose our preference.
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > > @gabarber_98418288 said:
    > > The Model 3 steering wheel is designed for hands at 9 and 3, not 10 and 2 (which by the way is the airbag-era recommendation); that's why the thumb wheels are where they are.
    > >
    > +1 It is also the requirement for using the driver assistance features.
    >
    >

No it isn't. You can put your hands where you like...or even completely off the wheel for 96% of the time if you so choose! You see, you just don't know enough to make any comment that is based in fact. Mark of a troll
  • I don’t find it all that life changing either way. I needed glasses to use it before. I still need glasses to use it now. I like that the cards aren’t there by default. I like where the windshield wiper controls are. Not that I hated anything before. I just feel there’s a lot of strong opinions on a minor change that really doesn’t warrant that much attention.
  • > @Spuzzz said:
    > I don’t find it all that life changing either way.

+1

I'm completely indifferent.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > > @howard_98305575 said:
    > > > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > > > @gabarber_98418288 said:
    > > > The Model 3 steering wheel is designed for hands at 9 and 3, not 10 and 2 (which by the way is the airbag-era recommendation); that's why the thumb wheels are where they are.
    > > >
    > > +1 It is also the requirement for using the driver assistance features.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > No it isn't. You can put your hands where you like...or even completely off the wheel for 96% of the time if you so choose! You see, you just don't know enough to make any comment that is based in fact. Mark of a troll

Tesla: "It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your "hands" on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road."

Mark of a fanatic.
  • “ Mark of a fanatic.”

What is? There’s no subject to your statement.
  • The new UI takes a bit of adjustment but I see where they are going with it.

I appreciate they moved the speedometer and gear select to the left most position to have it in your peripheral.

Graying out elements is good for reducing cognitive load in theory but the UI was not overly colorful to begin with so in its current state it actually makes things harder to find until we get used to the new positions of elements.

Things like the SOC shown in green was not necessary, but hopefully the color will change when the SOC goes down to 20% to call your attention to it.

I suspect they are reducing the colors in anticipation of the FSD UI representing more elements in color.

That being said, in its current state some of the elements feel unfinished/unpolished, like alignment of elements like the speed indicator, speed limit, and cruise control speed setting. It just feels like they moved it without thinking about the size in relation to one another.

I also think the UI needs more dynamism to call attention to elements when things change by increasing its size or shrinking down when not important.

I work with UI as a job so I understand the difficulty of creating good UI. I appreciate their efforts to try to improve it, even if it seems like taking a step back at times.
  • Careful there lbowroom. Howie gets all emotional if you question his grammar or vocabulary.
  • I think long term owners don’t get so bent out of shape by these sorts or changes. They’re accustomed to Tesla’s evolution and are a bit more resilient. That’s probably also a trait of early adopters. The only reason I even went to the garage to see the changes was because of all the melodrama here. Really don’t have any issue with the changes and would never have thought to comment on it.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > I think long term owners don’t get so bent out of shape by these sorts or changes. They’re accustomed to Tesla’s evolution and are a bit more resilient. That’s probably also a trait of early adopters. The only reason I even went to the garage to see the changes was because of all the melodrama here. Really don’t have any issue with the changes and would never have thought to comment on it.

But it is dangerous and unsafe now! 😂 How can you not see it?
  • > @WW_icefree said:

> But it is dangerous and unsafe now! 😂 How can you not see it?

It’s too small?
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > Tesla: "It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your "hands" on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road."
    >

Howard, are you trying to mislead people by using information from a limited beta and applying it to the current public version.
  • “ Howie gets all emotional if you question his grammar or vocabulary.”

Not questioning either of those. Just pointing out that he’s done nothing but hurl insults lately with no factual points about the car. Just randomly calling people fanboys to rule them up.