Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

New Display Layout is Horrendous

Comments

• Switch on the fly, you mean you don't use brake?
  • Correct I often do not use the brake to switch between R & D. Tesla does allow this under (I think its) 5 MPH. If you switch on the fly no big "D" shows but you know immediately without looking at anything you are in drive. I have no idea why seeing the "D" would be needed in that instance. You should be looking where the car is going and its obvious the car is in "D" since it reverses direction without removing your foot from the GO pedal.
  • @HAL2001

Thanks for confirming. Let me tell you why. The vehicle has a software conditional that prevents the shift if the mph is above some number like 3mph. More than once I have feathered in the go after shifting and been surprised because my stalk input was ignored/overriden. So yes I do interact with the prindle. I think that issue has been the cause of some of the rollbacks or uncontrolled movement that some users have experienced. I am not the level of Tronguy but I have a great mix of experience and I try to understand what’s happening. I am “real” but I call it like it is not where I want the stock price to go.

@WW_icefree

Apologies coming soon?

@Tronguy

Off subject but today’s dissertation on temp sensors was impressive.
  • > @"Joe M" said:
    > @HAL2001
    >
    > Thanks for confirming. Let me tell you why. The vehicle has a software conditional that prevents the shift if the mph is above some number like 3mph. More than once I have feathered in the go after shifting and been surprised because my stalk input was ignored/overriden. So yes I do interact with the prindle. I think that issue has been the cause of some of the rollbacks or uncontrolled movement that some users have experienced. I am not the level of Tronguy but I have a great mix of experience and I try to understand what’s happening. I am “real” but I call it like it is not where I want the stock price to go.
    >
    > @WW_icefree
    >
    > Apologies coming soon?
    >
    > @Tronguy
    >
    > Off subject but today’s dissertation on temp sensors was impressive.

I asked you question. Do you use brake before switching?
  • Still waiting Joe.
  • > @"Joe M" said:
    > Thanks for confirming. Let me tell you why. The vehicle has a software conditional that prevents the shift if the mph is above some number like 3mph. More than once I have feathered in the go after shifting and been surprised because my stalk input was ignored/overriden.

If you hit the stalk above 5 MPH (or what ever the cut off is) it will alarm at the refusal to shift. But I know even without the alarm since the car is still going backwards under power. The big "D" or little "D" isn't even in my thoughts.
  • edited December 2020
    > @"Joe M" said:
    > One other thing. It was noted that you get a big D or R when you shift. That is not true from R to D on the fly.

Don't follow you...whenever I put my car into R or D I get a big letter on the screen. From Park to Reverse or Park to Drive and even R to D and D to R direct, big bold letter on the screen. What else do you need? Do you need to see a D when you are driving along? Or need to see R as you drive backwards?? I really don't get the need to see what 'gear' you are in as you are driving...also you know you are in R as the rear camera screen instantly comes on.

If you mean 'on the fly' because you don't actually come to stop before changing gear, then even more irrelevant to see a letter...because you are still actually moving!
  • > @M3phan said:
    > The cars now see into the spirit world.....ooooooooo.

Maybe it got off the non-existing bus?
    https://imgur.com/a/smU1Rgk
  • > @"yudansha™" said:
    > Maybe it got off the non-existing bus?
    > https://imgur.com/a/smU1Rgk

Shame on you doing 49 in a 35. LOL
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @"yudansha™" said:
    > > Maybe it got off the non-existing bus?
    > > https://imgur.com/a/smU1Rgk
    >
    > Shame on you doing 49 in a 35. LOL

It was the car, officer! lol
  • Nope "it was the car" excuse will not work. Already case law in Canada. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmyx8PY31wY
  • @HAL2001

I never connected a ding to the refusal to shift. Maybe it’s buried in other dings.

You would never know it’s still going backwards under power in my driveway. It’s full regen.

@NorthValley

Uhh yes I don’t full stop. You do? Another perfect Tesla driver.

We all use the car differently. I don’t have / use FSD. The update is a downgrade for me (and obviously others). Enough deflection.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > Nope "it was the car" excuse will not work. Already case law in Canada. ;-)
    >
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmyx8PY31wY
    >
    >

My March speeding ticket was dismissed in November. Time for another one. Kidding. It is probably one of the roads where speed changes from 45 to 35 but autopilot did not adjust. I noticed it does not enforce 5 mile over limit on some streets any longer.
  • @WW_icefree

Sorry missed that question was for me. I will have to repeat the process a few time but I think I am off the brake and simply on regen usually.
  • > @"yudansha™" said:
    > I noticed it does not enforce 5 mile over limit on some streets any longer.

My car will correct the speed when the nudge prompt appears. So I suspect they check that info every nudge.
  • My Hand doesn't block my speedo like some complaint here. I can see speedo and what gear I am just fine. Nav screen is too small for my liking. If you use you brake before shifting it will display big ass letter in what gear you switched. Regen is visible just fine. Car graphics look low res when zoomed out. Weird. I hope more customizable UI coming soon so we will have less whine.
    http://imgur.com/a/1rKvkRZ
  • > @"Joe M" said:
    > @WW_icefree
    >
    > Sorry missed that question was for me. I will have to repeat the process a few time but I think I am off the brake and simply on regen usually.

I always use brake before switching gear. I guess old habits die hard )
  • Honestly, with muscle memory and opposing actions to choose between R and D, what human actually looks at the PRND indicator?
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Honestly, with muscle memory and opposing actions to choose between R and D, what human actually looks at the PRND indicator?

No one I know )
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > what human actually looks at the PRND indicator?

Not me, I am looking in what ever direction the car is moving. Well that's not completely true. I also check the rear camera view while backing up. The only time I ever look at the indicator when when I am going for Neutral.
  • edited December 2020
    > @"Joe M" said:
    > @HAL2001
    >
    > I never connected a ding to the refusal to shift. Maybe it’s buried in other dings.
    >
    > You would never know it’s still going backwards under power in my driveway. It’s full regen.
    >
    >
    > @NorthValley
    >
    > Uhh yes I don’t full stop. You do? Another perfect Tesla driver.
    >
    > We all use the car differently. I don’t have / use FSD. The update is a downgrade for me (and obviously others). Enough deflection.

Yes we do all use car differently but the car still does the same thing. You'll just have to get used to the changes. Deflection? How can it be deflection when my post directly responds to your argument that it was a downgrade? Also, it responds directly to the OP post title. Another one who needs to look up the word deflection I think! LOL
  • @Joe M: Regarding the cheerleaders and the trolls and all. Um. Over the past couple of years, what with Tesla's inability or disinclination to ban the trolls, various methods of dealing with the trolls have been tried.
    1. Ignoring them. Doesn't work. They swamp the forums, get newbies (mainly) to talk to them, and Disinformation (sometimes, and I am not kidding on this, dangerous, life-threatening disinformation) reigns.
    2. Talking to them to convince them of the errors of their ways. They don't respond to talk except with more calumnies, disinformation reigns, etc.
    3. Calling Tesla. Nothing happens.
    4. Responding to each and every one of their posts. Works.. sort of, except they take over the conversation and disrupt the forums.
    The trolls don't learn; are uniformly negative, and are either somewhat deranged or are hired shills. I lean towards the latter, but who knows?
    In 2019 after some really rotten troll performances a few of us hit upon the "Public Service Announcement" bit. Which, you'll note, names verifiable behavior but doesn't do name calling. It may be my imagination, but a PSA seems to result in a given troll going away for a bit. Which would be nice if true, but again, I'm not doing statistics.
    For one period in 2020 the forum software was changed to add flagging; five flags would make a post disappear. This did stop the trolls in their tracks, but then they got busy and started disappearing the regulars. After a couple of weeks of back-and-forth, Tesla disabled the feature.
    Now we've got the new software as of a couple of months ago. One thing: All the cancelled posts, including self-cancelled threads (which used to be a thing one could do, cancel the thread one had started) came back, and we got a search function that wasn't complete garbage. Weirdly enough, this put a bit of a brake on the troll brigade, since they had been in the habit that when their lies had become a bit too obvious in a given thread, they'd cancel the thread. Now their complete history was visible.
    At the moment, since anybody can create an account with posting privileges, we do get a fair number of trolls/shills/short-sellers who create an account, put forth some Horrible that Tesla has done, then disappear over the horizon. There's the possibility that at least some of these posters are real people; but a fair number of them put up nonsensical explanations of What Went Wrong; when questioned, they duck and cover. Others sometimes post documentation which, when examined closely, appears faked.
    And, again, since anybody can create an account, there's some suspicion that our resident trolls create accounts that, when called out for weird, negative complaints, get abandoned.
    So, I understand your concern about the so-called fan boys; and there may be one or two who can't stand to see Tesla criticized, but I those lack-of-criticism types as people who've had their bell pulled one too many times by the trolls/shills.
    If one accepts the idea that paid shills are part of the mix, then one has to question their motives. Certainly, disrupting the forums to make them less useful as a marketing tool would be a prime goal. So, getting trigger-happy denizens would be something that the trolls and their backers would encourage.
    Sorry to spend so much time on this, but there's lots of history in the forum. Despite the trolls, normal forum activities still do occur: We discuss Teslas, their foibles, their strengths, and features, and we do try to answer questions and help out newbies. Unfortunately, due to the lack of moderation, we have to live in an atmosphere rather thick with trollish behavior.
  • Deflection in my sense means when the cheerleaders keep saying I don’t need what I use on the display. You use what you want I will use what I want. If prindle is so useless why is it there. Hey I want Tesla to be successful. Keep in mind as Tesla goes to a larger market it will have to please everyday people as well as the early adopter mission committed early adopters. Feels like talking to the wall. I’m done.
  • edited December 2020
    For me I have absolutely NO PROBLEM for anyone to criticize Tesla or post their dislikes about the vehicles. I will NOT however accept that a troll should get away with posting lies, trashing the enjoyment others get from their vehicles nor allow them to sing the virtues of ICE brands over Tesla on this Tesla site.

Owners who post virtues or complaints about their Tesla cars must accept that when they post a comment EVERYONE has a right to agree or disagree with them. As long as no lies, trashing or pushing of other brands occurs, then its all good AFAIAC
  • > @"Joe M" said:
    > Deflection in my sense means when the cheerleaders keep saying I don’t need what I use on the display. You use what you want I will use what I want. If prindle is so useless why is it there. Hey I want Tesla to be successful. Keep in mind as Tesla goes to a larger market it will have to please everyday people as well as the early adopter mission committed early adopters. Feels like talking to the wall. I’m done.

Want to give your apology since I was right?