Model 3

Charging stops at 85%

Got my model 3 standard range a week back and haven’t been able to charge it to a 100%. I have used a couple of 11kw chargers at work and the result has been the same both times. The charging just stops automatically after 85% is hit. I have set the limit to a 100% of course and am also aware that it is not recommended to charge to a 100% but I just want to get there once to see if it works. Have set up a service appointment but it’s still a couple of weeks away. Could not find another charging setting that could be limiting the charge. Suggestions?

Comments

• Are you using any third party apps? That can do it.
  • Did you try rebooting the car?
    Uninstall and reinstall app?
    How many users do you have set up and do they have control with apps on their phone?
  • On the car whatever apps came standard installed. On my phone I just have the official Tesla app.
  • I am the only user setup and the only app is on my phone. Will have to try the reboot but am not too hopeful. It’s got to be a setting somewhere that’s not user accessible. Maybe the service guys have to change it for me.
  • > @Punjumunda said:
    > I am the only user setup and the only app is on my phone. Will have to try the reboot but am not too hopeful. It’s got to be a setting somewhere that’s not user accessible. Maybe the service guys have to change it for me.

First rule of Tesla is to reboot if you are having issues.

Install and reinstall the app sometimes things stay in cache that are not visible or able to be deleted.

You would be the first report of service charge limit Murph I have heard of if that is the case.
  • Some third party electric charge providers, like EVGo, will tell you up front that they'll stop the charging at 80% or whatever so that other cars will get a chance to charge. Even the Tesla chargers would tell me they stop the charging at 80%, however if I go into the car's menu or the iPhone app menu after it starts charging, I'm able to set it to something higher, such as 90% or 95%.
  • Punjumunda
    you do bring up a good point. Maybe your car thinks its in Transport or Service Mode. There may be a charging limit on those modes.

You have to call tesla service number and ask them to check but do not take the first persons word for it. The front line folks cant see the setting on Tesla servers. They may claim they can but it takes a tier 2 person to check/reset it.
  • Thanks very much all. Will report back once I have a solution.
  • Set up a service call through your Tesla app and an engineer will connect to your car and try to fix the problem.
  • Note: Maxxer is a troll whose purpose, in part, is to Make Trouble for users and Tesla, in particular. Would not suggest taking its advice.
  • > @Punjumunda said:
    > Got my model 3 standard range a week back and haven’t been able to charge it to a 100%. I have used a couple of 11kw chargers at work and the result has been the same both times. The charging just stops automatically after 85% is hit. I have set the limit to a 100% of course and am also aware that it is not recommended to charge to a 100% but I just want to get there once to see if it works. Have set up a service appointment but it’s still a couple of weeks away. Could not find another charging setting that could be limiting the charge. Suggestions?
  • > @LeJoker2713 said:
    > > @Punjumunda said:
    > > Got my model 3 standard range a week back and haven’t been able to charge it to a 100%. I have used a couple of 11kw chargers at work and the result has been the same both times. The charging just stops automatically after 85% is hit. I have set the limit to a 100% of course and am also aware that it is not recommended to charge to a 100% but I just want to get there once to see if it works. Have set up a service appointment but it’s still a couple of weeks away. Could not find another charging setting that could be limiting the charge. Suggestions?
    >
    >
    I have same problem. Charge is set to 60% (300km) Sometimes stops charging at 284 km. Most of the time it goes upto 300 or 305 km
    Charge rate is 10 amps. Circuit breaker is 50 amps! Any explanation?
  • Temperature changes after the charge is complete can alter the SOC slightly. There are other factors that can also effect your SOC such as Sentry or Summon Standby. Don't get to fixated on exact numbers.
  • @LeJoker2713,
    284km and 305km are within 6% of each other. 5% to 10% variation is not unusual for SoC measurements.
    Your charging speed of 10 amps with a 50 amp breaker could indicate your wiring is not sufficient to handle 40 amps or your charging connector settings may be off. What kind of charging connector are you using? Wall Connector, Mobile Connector? other?
  • > @Punjumunda said:
    > Got my model 3 standard range a week back and haven’t been able to charge it to a 100%. I have used a couple of 11kw chargers at work and the result has been the same both times. The charging just stops automatically after 85% is hit.

Is that a Model 3 Standard Range Plus, Made in China, by any chance? The one with the LFP battery?
  • > @Punjumunda said:
    > Got my model 3 standard range a week back and haven’t been able to charge it to a 100%. I have used a couple of 11kw chargers at work and the result has been the same both times. The charging just stops automatically after 85% is hit. I have set the limit to a 100% of course and am also aware that it is not recommended to charge to a 100% but I just want to get there once to see if it works. Have set up a service appointment but it’s still a couple of weeks away. Could not find another charging setting that could be limiting the charge. Suggestions?
    >

Have you looked to see what the charging set point is AFTER you plug into a charger? Maybe when you plug in it is dropping to 85% but you should be able to just slide it back up to 100% at that time.
  • 85% is the new 100%

Ok so went to the supercharger today thinking maybe I am dumb and don’t know how to use an AC charger so maybe the super charger will be kinder to me. Same issue. Charging stops at 85% and won’t go further. Confirmed multiple times that my limit is set to a 100 or at least that white bar is to the right extreme. Changed super chargers and tried to restart supercharging. No dice. Charging started and stopped immediately and got a warning to get out of there or pay idle fees. Also found that super charging is not so super after all. Suuuuper slow. Max I hit was 28kw and it got progressively slower, which is expected, as I got close to my 100% which is 85%. I admit I plugged in at 43% but still. If I have to sit in a super charger for an hour to get from 43% to 85% then there is not much else that can be said. Spoke to the guy who was charging a few spots away from me and he said that he had 60kw.
    I guess I will just have to watch Netflix while people go on with their lives and I wave to them as they drive away.

“””””“Supercharging””””” Profile

43% - 28kw 15:38
    58% - 24kw 15:57
    75% - 23kw 16:19
    81% - 16kw 16:32
    84% - 9kw 16:40
    85% - 3kw 16:41 - Charging Ends

I ordered the car in Europe. Looks like it came from the US but am not sure if there is a Chinese battery involved. I hope they fix whatever it is. Waiting for someone to contact me before my appointment on the 12th.
  • What does it say on the door about where it was manufactured. You may have a MIC with the LFP battery. There is another thread about the MIC LFP which describes the same problems.
  • > @Punjumunda said:
    > 85% is the new 100%
    >
    > Ok so went to the supercharger today thinking maybe I am dumb and don’t know how to use an AC charger so maybe the super charger will be kinder to me. Same issue. Charging stops at 85% and won’t go further. Confirmed multiple times that my limit is set to a 100 or at least that white bar is to the right extreme. Changed super chargers and tried to restart supercharging. No dice. Charging started and stopped immediately and got a warning to get out of there or pay idle fees. Also found that super charging is not so super after all. Suuuuper slow. Max I hit was 28kw and it got progressively slower, which is expected, as I got close to my 100% which is 85%. I admit I plugged in at 43% but still. If I have to sit in a super charger for an hour to get from 43% to 85% then there is not much else that can be said. Spoke to the guy who was charging a few spots away from me and he said that he had 60kw.
    > I guess I will just have to watch Netflix while people go on with their lives and I wave to them as they drive away.
    >
    > “””””“Supercharging””””” Profile
    >
    > 43% - 28kw 15:38
    > 58% - 24kw 15:57
    > 75% - 23kw 16:19
    > 81% - 16kw 16:32
    > 84% - 9kw 16:40
    > 85% - 3kw 16:41 - Charging Ends
    >
    > I ordered the car in Europe. Looks like it came from the US but am not sure if there is a Chinese battery involved. I hope they fix whatever it is. Waiting for someone to contact me before my appointment on the 12th.
    >

If it came from the US then is does NOT have the Chinese battery. Sounds like you will just have to wait for your appointment, but as I said to the other person, actually going to the supercharger is a good troubleshooting step before going to service. I also like your breakdown of times, SOC's and charging rates! That is great information!
  • Punjabi Munda does your car VIN have a C then likely china made

“Model 3 – China”, and with a VIN starting with LRW, and LC designating the year (L = 2020) and the country of manufacture (C = China).

IF YES then check my post, my car also stops at 85%
  • Car is parked at a garage a bit far away so can check the country of manufacture tomorrow on the door as bjrosen recommended. My VIN does have a LC in it. Starts with LRW then six digits later LC. Well this sucks. It’s gonna be a cold winter in Germany so if I am expected to wait until June to start seeing normal charging profiles then that will make me really sad/angry. Between the battery charging issues, the stinky heater and the fact that my autopilot cameras are disabled for some reason it’s been a rough 10 days of debugging my car(victim loop!!). The only time I am happy is after the smell from the heater dies down and I am actually driving for a while. That seems to work well so far:-).
  • Test how fast u can charge on a fast charger or a super charger
  • @Punjumunda no need to go to his thread, there is just as much non-information there as there is in your thread here. You both have don't all the troubleshooting you can reasonably do and now you both need to go to the service center.

I would love to jump on the china battery sucks, haha bandwagon, but alas, more data is needed.
  • I see some users on this forum try stop others exploring my thread

Exact same response to a 2nd guy who complained of LFP , i was more explicit as it is made in china
  • There is nothing to explore. Wait for your Service Center to help you out and find what is wrong with your car.