Model Y

Model Y Pedestrian Warning System retrofit

Anyone heard if PWS can be retrofit by Service for MYs that weren’t shipped with it installed? YouTube videos make it seem possible for DIYers, but it looks like Service has to do something to get full function (BoomBox)

Comments

• I did not get also the boom box on my model Y . I wonder what new models will be missing.Tesla should recall and put external speakers is a public safety issue.
  • I’ve read that NHTSA delayed the PWS mandate until this fall (maybe longer), and I don’t remember seeing anything about it when I bought my Y. A recall would be nice, but I’m willing to pay for the retrofit.

Based on the posts I’m seeing, it looks like I’m not the only one. Tesla, are you listening?
  • Same here. Model Y from late June. If Tesla had made it known that early models were less equipped I would have pushed my pick-up date to get a later model. The way this is shaping up, why would anyone ever take delivery of an early model Tesla for fear that a few months later the car would be equipped with more features, especially safety-associated items. Tesla needs to make early Model Y purchasers whole on this topic, I feel like they pulled one over on me...
  • > @GreyGhost_98712145 said:
    > Same here. Model Y from late June. If Tesla had made it known that early models were less equipped I would have pushed my pick-up date to get a later model. The way this is shaping up, why would anyone ever take delivery of an early model Tesla for fear that a few months later the car would be equipped with more features, especially safety-associated items. Tesla needs to make early Model Y purchasers whole on this topic, I feel like they pulled one over on me...

You'll be in an infinite loop of waiting.

You and I (late June delivery) got the car we wanted. Subsequent improvements are inevitable. While I'd have preferred PWS on my MY, I don't feel shortchanged.
  • I agree with not feeling shortchanged. Hopefully, Service will allow a retrofit, even if we have to pay for it.
  • I received this response to my appointment I set up to have the external speaker added to my Model Y purchased in March 2020:

Here’s the response:

John, this is Xxxx the Service Manager, at this time Tesla is not providing retrofits for the speaker. I really do not have any other information about this but it looks like we are in compliance under the 50% rule.
    Hybrid and Electric Vehicles manufactured on or after September 1, 2019, and before September 1, 2020. For hybrid and electric vehicles to which this standard applies manufactured on and after September 1, 2019, and before September 1, 2020, except vehicles produced by small volume manufacturers, the quantity of hybrid and electric vehicles complying with this safety standard shall be not less than 50 percent of one or both of the following:

My response was...”This is a Tesla cop-out. I also asked to have him send me the rest of the document he was quoting, since it abruptly ended...
  • I have an 11,400 something VIN for Model Y and it did not show up. I literally only have about 1600 miles on vehicle.. Why even put out an update that rubs it in your face that your new vehicle is outdated.. They would have been better served by not releasing it at Xmas.. Kind of like saying Here is your present... (oh you got a lump of coal). ...
  • > @imacgyver_98598134 said:
    > My response was...”This is a Tesla cop-out. I also asked to have him send me the rest of the document he was quoting, since it abruptly ended...

The regulation is pretty clear that mandatory 100% compliance was not required until 9/1/20. Prior to that, since 9/1/19, manufacturers only had to have 50% of their EV/hybrid fleet compliant.
  • You can purchase the speaker from tesla for $55. i got one and walked out in 5 minutes and the install is crazy simple on the Y (just plug it in). tesla will be enabling the boombox feature for me tomorrow but for now i have the regular pedestrian sounds
  • I'd like to buy an external speaker since a lady almost walked right in front of me in a parking lot. How did you purchase it - I dont see it online?
    > @ryanreckard_98036907 said:
    > You can purchase the speaker from tesla for $55. i got one and walked out in 5 minutes and the install is crazy simple on the Y (just plug it in). tesla will be enabling the boombox feature for me tomorrow but for now i have the regular pedestrian sounds
  • > @MaykenA said:
    > I'd like to buy an external speaker since a lady almost walked right in front of me in a parking lot. How did you purchase it - I dont see it online?
    > > @ryanreckard_98036907 said:
    > > You can purchase the speaker from tesla for $55. i got one and walked out in 5 minutes and the install is crazy simple on the Y (just plug it in). tesla will be enabling the boombox feature for me tomorrow but for now i have the regular pedestrian sounds
    >
    >

> @MaykenA said:
    > I'd like to buy an external speaker since a lady almost walked right in front of me in a parking lot. How did you purchase it - I dont see it online?
    > > You can purchase the speaker from tesla for $55. i got one and walked out in 5 minutes and the install is crazy simple on the Y (just plug it in). tesla will be enabling the boombox feature for me tomorrow but for now i have the regular pedestrian sounds
    >
    >

> @MaykenA said:
    >
    >
  • Did Tesla ever enable boombox mode after the speaker purchase?