Model X

DASHBOARD FONT SIZE TOO SMALL WITH NEW UPDATE

We just updated our X with the new software (dec 29). Once on the road, I noticed changes to the dashboard, such as changes to the locations of drive, park, etc. and the locations of the Posted speed limit sign, the autopilot circle, and the autopilot max speed circle. I will adjust to these puzzling changes. Here’s the BIG problem: I can hardly read the speed related numbers. I am 59 with perfect vision when I wear eyeglasses (which I always do). Tesla, please enable us to make the font sizes of these important numbers larger or please send a new update restoring the original font size. This is a significant safety issue. Thank you.

Comments

• Complains about rude remarks and... makes rude remarks.🤣🤣🤣
  • Fully agree with all the remarks
    The font size is far too small for glance reading
    I have 4 Tesla’s and the whole family are moaning about this.
    Can’t Tesla give everyone the option to increase or decrease the font size.
    Lots of nice updates lately but this one is not good
  • > @JUNO said:
    > We just updated our X with the new software (dec 29). Once on the road, I noticed changes to the dashboard, such as changes to the locations of drive, park, etc. and the locations of the Posted speed limit sign, the autopilot circle, and the autopilot max speed circle. I will adjust to these puzzling changes. Here’s the BIG problem: I can hardly read the speed related numbers. I am 59 with perfect vision when I wear eyeglasses (which I always do). Tesla, please enable us to make the font sizes of these important numbers larger or please send a new update restoring the original font size. This is a significant safety issue. Thank you.

I FULLY AGREE!!! THIS KINDLY NEEDS TO BE A PRIORITY.
  • Agree. Tesla engineers are all young. Tesla owners, probably not so young.
  • More evidence that Teslas are designed by computer/coding/IT people, and not by "car people."

Long established ICE auto manufacturers would never think that any of this was okay.
  • Fully agree with all the remarks
    The font size is far too small for glance reading
  • I am frustrated by the amount of energy used to create games while at the same time the lack of thought behind potential consequences of making changes to the font size of important information. Please include my entire family of drivers in requesting the ability to enlarge the impossibly small display fonts, or return to the previous font size altogether.
  • Font too small on dash after update. Please fix or let us change it!
  • Too funny....I thought it me too, when I could not find park/drive in the usual spot. It was a weird 10 seconds. And way, way too small.
  • You can't blame this entirely on the developers.

Musk likely is personally involved in getting these releases out - and if he thinks it looks OK, he usually presses the development team to get the software distributed quickly.

Tesla is supposed to have internal testers - and has a small group of external beta testers - who should catch these obvious design flaws and bugs - and they continue to miss these obvious problems. Several years ago, during media player UI "improvements", they removed the first letter scroll bar for media player lists - and they put it back quickly after customers loudly complained.

A larger concern is about Tesla's testing methodology. If they continue to miss such obvious problems with the user interface, does this inspire confidence that they are adequately testing other portions of the software - such as FSD?

Going back to the early production vehicles (we purchased a VIN 3xxx S P85 in early 2012), Tesla customers have been recommending Tesla expand their external beta testing - which is even of greater need now that Tesla has software running on multiple models, in many configurations, in many countries, and in many languages. No internal testing group or small group of external beta testers can test the software in enough situations or on enough vehicle configurations to provide adequate testing...
  • I immediately noticed the same thing(FONT Size TOO Small) and right away thought they did not test this with anyone older. I am 60 and am far-sighted, and need glasses to read. This font size is so small it is a serious safety issue since I can hardly see anything related to speed or self-drive icons. Time and temp(which is re-located to a place where the front passenger can not see it without leaning over) are also so small its ridiculous. I end up looking down far too long to squint out any of the numbers, in particular the speed related ones. Tesla, either give us an option for font size like iOS/Andriod phones or please increase a couple of type sizes. You need to do this soon.
  • Is there an update or better yet a fix for this? thanks...
  • As JimHock commented - the small fonts introduce an unnecessary distraction for drivers that have difficulty reading small fonts - so this is a safety issue - and should be addressed in an upcoming release.

If Tesla doesn't want to do this for all drivers, they should add "Accessibility" settings that would allow drivers to select the size of font being used - something older drivers and those with vision challenges would select, like they would on computers, tables and smartphones.
  • Fully agree!! I wonder though, does anyone from Tesla read these comments on the Forum??

And WHY DOES TESLA NOT HAVE A TECHNICAL ISSUES PLATFORM, WHERE COMPLAINTS/SUGGESTIONS CAN BE ENTERED, IN A COMPREHENSIVE AND CATEGORIZED MANNER, SO THAT THEY CAN BE QUICKLY BE BROUGHT TO THE TESLA ENGINEERING TEAM AND THUS QUICKLY RESOLVED??

I also agree that TOO MUCH effort is put by Texla into gaming and entertainment gimmicks and important issues are swept aside.
  • Every time I drive our X with the teeny fonts update, feels like a trip to the doctor's office to do an eye exam - "Please read the bottom line on the chart"...
  • How about a gradient slide bar for font size? It could be similar to an iPhone or iPad....
    Font size really is too small for folks like me who use progressive lens.