Model 3

Autopilot Improvements (personal experience warning)

I got a used 2018 Model 3 LR AWD a little over 4 months ago. This car came with EAP and HW2.5, and to put it simply the autopilot was horrendous. Did it work? Yes, so long as the lines were crystal clear and the road quality was good. Have you ever driven down a road that has a bus stop area where the curbline gets stretched the width of a bus so it does not stop traffic behind it? Everytime the highway would open up like that for an exit or on-ramp lane the car would jerk the wheel to the right to center the car in the double wide lane, and i mean JERK the wheel.

I am now driving on 2020.48.26 with FSD and HW3.0, and i activated autopilot on the 45mph road that i use to get to work. It has 2 lanes each side, center turning lane, stoplights, and those bus stop areas that i mentioned above. Autopilot (not FSD beta) handled the road incredibly well. It honestly blew me away how well it handled. The steering was gentle, acceleration was not jumpy, flowed through the stoplight intersections and maintained a straight path, and most importantly did NOT try to center the vehicle in the double wide bus stop areas like it used to prior. Stopping for a stoplight works every single time, and accelerates once light turns green. Road lines are very clear.

Pretty unbelievable improvements IMO. What are your experiences?

Comments

• I cant give that large of a comparison as I have only had HW3.0. But I have been seeing the incremental improvements over the last 6 months. I also noticed no more swerving when lane marking expand. Lane changes are also very clean in the current version. An so far I have noticed the car stays more centered on outside curves.
  • ya, the car even moved to the left side of the lane to make room for snowbanks on the right side
  • It's the best system I've owned so far. Better than our Hyundai, my previous Acura, escalade and a few others. My bwm didn't have it, nor did my audi rental so I can't compare. It isn't perfect, but its a lot better now than when I got my tesla over a year ago. Biggest issue with it is its speed limit restriction on back roads. Just wish I could do the speed I want to, the flow of traffic. It's doing a much better job at taking really sharp corners compared to before. A lot smoother.
  • > @PteRoy said:
    > Biggest issue with it is its speed limit restriction on back roads. Just wish I could do the speed I want to, the flow of traffic.

If you were allowed to set any speed you wanted I suspect you could end up going faster than the computer can analyze the road ahead. Sure there are some roads you would be able to safely do that but how would Tesla determine which roads to allow it on? Right now exceeding the +5 MPH is Limited Access, divided highways only.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @PteRoy said:
    > > Biggest issue with it is its speed limit restriction on back roads. Just wish I could do the speed I want to, the flow of traffic.
    >
    > If you were allowed to set any speed you wanted I suspect you could end up going faster than the computer can analyze the road ahead. Sure there are some roads you would be able to safely do that but how would Tesla determine which roads to allow it on? Right now exceeding the +5 MPH is Limited Access, divided highways only.

I dont know the answer, but If the cameras are already seeing corners and obstacles and slowing down, why can't it do the same if I'm going faster? How can the cameras work going 130km per hour on the highway but not more than 90 on our 80km highways?
  • Its not the cameras, its the computer analyzing the images of road ahead from 8 cameras and dozens of sensors. Think of it in terms of breaking distance. The faster you go the more time/distance you need to stop. Limited access highways are designed to allow faster speeds, have no pedestrians, no lights, no sharp curves, etc, etc.

It is possible for it to do what you want on minor highways but how would Tesla specify which highways or even part of which highways. Its a momentous task, 10s of thousands of man hours to identify areas to allow it in just the US. Cant even imagine what it would take world wide. Simple to just say +5 on non divided/limited access highways.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > Its not the cameras, its the computer analyzing the images of road ahead from 8 cameras and dozens of sensors. Think of it in terms of breaking distance. The faster you go the more time/distance you need to stop. Limited access highways are designed to allow faster speeds, have no pedestrians, no lights, no sharp curves, etc, etc.
    >
    > It is possible for it to do what you want on minor highways but how would Tesla specify which highways or even part of which highways. Its a momentous task, 10s of thousands of man hours to identify areas to allow it in just the US. Cant even imagine what it would take world wide. Simple to just say +5 on non divided/limited access highways.

I can only speak from my experience, but there is an 80km road I take to the gym every day. It's very straight right up until the end where there is two very sharp corners right after each other. The car handles it no problem doing the max autopilot speed it allows. Itll slow right down and take both corners like a normal driver would. So I think it's very capable of doing so at fast speeds.

I assume it is however a safety thing like you mention about the stopping distance. In slippery road conditions it would be a bad idea to hit those corners going that fast. But it also would be a bad idea doing the corners at its current allowed speed on slippery roads.

I expect as time goes on the car will be able to read caution signs which tells drivers to slow down there is a sharp curve a head. Once it does that, I predict a faster auto pilot speed will be allowed.
  • Cool posting! Glad you’ve seen improvement and are enjoying the ride. AP and Nav on AP worked well for me since 2018 delivery, except for a brief window last Dec with the pre-V10.2 Xmas update, where I was experiencing lame ping pong. V10.2 fixed that. Haven’t had a prob since but have noticed a major improvement when I upgraded to HW3.
  • Andy you should have seen it in 2018. I never thought it was horrible as you say, but it had improved a great deal over 2018 and now you report that it’s much better now than it was a month ago (I haven’t tried it since latest update). So yes real, continuous improvements are wonderful.

I expect fsd to follow a similar path...a real rocky start followed by 2 years of rapid improvement.
  • Andy, what I noticed car handles merging right lanes on interstate flawlessly now. Not sure how long ago it was addressed.
  • Remember i went from HW2.5 EAP to HW3.0 FSD on the most recent software update. Im sure the hardware had a little to do with it, but its ridiculously better.
  • just got 2020.48.30
  • I saw it went out internationally a couple hours ago.
  • My complaints with the autopilot are the following: WARNING - i dont expect these to be fixed, these are just my personal complaints.

Autopilot waits too long to brake for stoplights. I understand that there is a distance limitation ability, but it waits until a point where brake pad application is necessary whereas if i was the one driving i would let go of the accelerator and use 100% regen for braking.

Second, autopilot gives you a warning to either push accelerator pad or hit the gear shift level down to confirm going through a green light. But by the time that the notification pops up, its already engaging braking for the stoplight. You have to have extremely good reflexes and hit the gear shift level within a half second of the warning popping up on the screen to avoid braking. That being said, i will try using the accelerator pad because that might result in much more efficient reaction time, but you still have to hit it within a half second of the notification popping up on the screen. It does also give you a little "ding" noise, but 0.5s to react is way too short time to respond to avoid the vehicle engaging braking action.
  • Andy, you must follow the forum suggestions for phantom braking. You know, hover your foot over the accelerator in anticipation of a braking event. Likewise you should keep your left foot hovering over the brake pedal or keep both hands on the steering wheel (as stated by Tesla when using the advanced driver assistance features) with one finger on the gear stalk so you can be fast enough to prevent the premature braking for stop lights. It is really easy once you get the hang of it. Rest assured that all will be made well with more future software updates. Enjoy your Model 3.
  • edited January 9
    > @andy_connor_e said: > Second, autopilot gives you a warning to either push accelerator pad or hit the gear shift level down to confirm going through a green light."

That's not "AutoPilot" that is "Full Self Driving". Not surprising you don't know the difference as Tesla conflates the two also.
  • Did this imbecile just come in talking about phantom braking oh my God lol.....
  • Of course, this is not the experience everytime. Most times my car brakes smoothly into a red light or stop sign. Yes there are occasional harder stops but infrequent. And if you’re in AP and approaching a light, without a lead vehicle, you’re supposed to tap the accelerator or right stalk to proceed so be ready. That’s how it works. I can do it with the car not slowing at all. If I’m not paying attention, it only slows a couple MPHs. But that’s on me.

Future updates will allow removal of the confirmation.
  • Yep I'm sure it will get better. It's pretty damn good all things considered with my OP.
  • Got that right. I get a few wonky ones offs every once in a while as well. But overall, wow, pretty cool improvements these last couple years.
  • Been using it twice a day the last week and a half and it does not do any bad moves anymore. it's extremely accurate and the few complaints above are minor I just don't like that it gives you half a second to react. Some lights brake harder than others is true.
  • > @M3phan said: And if you’re in AP and approaching a light, without a lead vehicle, you’re supposed to tap the accelerator or right stalk to proceed so be ready. That’s how it works."

Nope. AP does not include that feature. You are talking about Tesla's "Full Self Driving" feature.

https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#autopilot

Autopilot Included

Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

Full Self-Driving Capability

Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
    Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
    Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
    Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
    Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: assisted stops at traffic controlled intersections.
  • Ban Fish, annoying agitator.
  • Since we are talking about AP and not FSD per title, the real improvements to AP would be:

1. Blind spot alert.
    2. Lane keeping alert and assist.
    3. Working adaptive cruise
    4. Rear auto braking.
    5. 360 degree view with improved proximity detection.
    6. Rear cross traffic alert

Tesla does seem to degrade the AP functions to make FSD (at $10k option) attractive.
  • Speak up
    https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/181034/admins-wake-up-and-ban-fishev