Solar Panels

Planned Solar Panels on Ceramic Tile Roof

So I just learned today that my planned order of 12.24kw solar panels on my ceramic roof with the additional 3 powerwalls has taken an expensive turn. After a roof inspector came I received from Tesla the need to upgrade my roof costing an additional $12000. So here's my question. Why not recommend Tesla Solar Roof? Would this not be a better option in my case to switch from my planned Solar Panels to Solar Roof Tiles?

I hear that the panels are more efficient, but if I need to throw $12,000 on roof repairs, I figure the better option would still be to replace the roof to look nicer with the solar tiles, than with the panels that are not as atheistic.

Any wisdom from anyone as I consider what to do? Would Tesla even let me switch at this point? Any words of advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• I have a solar roof and really like it. That said, I needed a new roof (leaks and tiles too easy to crack when walking on it). I think Tesla would be willing to switch to a solar roof, but you'd have to ask them and get a quote. There are some areas of the country where they don't have solar roof installers, but only solar panels installers. There also seems to be a backlog for solar roofs, although some go from order to install in a couple of months. Mine took 4 months, but 1 month was weather delays, which I was fine with.

Lastly, I expect it will be more expensive than just $12K+solar panel costs to go to a solar roof. Still ask for a quote and find out. I'd also find out what that $12K does. Are they replacing the entire roof? What materials? What will it look like?
  • "...than with the panels that are not as atheistic. "

That's a pretty funny typo...
  • God fearing panels are much better! :)
  • They're probably better at converting sonlight to energy...
  • > Any wisdom from anyone as I consider what to do? Would Tesla even let me switch at this point? Any words of advise would be appreciated.

Tesla energy is divided into two companies, one for the solar roof and one for the solar panels. It's very difficult to share or convert anything between them. You'll probably have to submit a brand new request, another $100, and get assigned a separate project manager. Then you can compare prices and pick one. Tesla will not convert your existing project. I'm currently working on two requests.