Energy Products

100% off-grid: integration EV & PW + PV

Not an EV user but planning to become + construct off-grid home. Here's an idea for which I'd like to discuss with someone with experience: Rather than use large capacity PW+PV, for winter months in Europe (or coupled gen-set), use the EV battery capacity - it can be super charged quickly and a full load can power the house for 7-10 days. Where to find more info/experience with more fully integrating the EV & house?

Comments

• EV battery for use in powering your home has two explicit requirements that are not common (yet):
    1 - The vehicle must support vehicle to grid (most do not).
    2 - The wall charger must support vehicle to grid (most do not).
    Additionally - there must be a source of utility grid frequency so that your solar will operate without being connected to the grid - this is usually supplied by the Tesla Gateway / Battery. Without it - your solar inverters will not function and the solar panels will simply be a massive silicon (inert) shade covering for your roof.
    I'm sure there other roadblocks as well as other possible solutions, but today - an integrated battery and controller matched to your solar is a fundamental building block.
    There is much speculation about the power setup in the model 3 and Y being bidirectional such that they "COULD" be used in this fashion, but the software to enable it as well as the house side connection do yet exist.
    I believe that the Nissan Leaf will support vehicle to grid - but again - it requires the house side connection.

I am philosophically aligned with you - plan on getting there, but not yet. Not today...
  • Widely available V2G has been "five years out" for at least 20 years now. I'm not holding my breath.
  • Using an EV to provide backup power for homes will happen at some point, at least for emergencies.

Tesla could make changes to the Tesla Gateway, wall connector and on board circuits to send power from the vehicle batteries to the house.

However... Doing this on a regular basis will likely impact the battery warranty - just like regularly charging from the grid changes the warranty for PWs.

Part of the reason we purchased our solar panels and PWs was to provide backup power during extended outages (hurricanes). Our PowerWalls can store around 50 KWh of power. We also have an S and X that can store a combined 200 KWh of power - and it would be fantastic if we could tap into the vehicle batteries to augment our PWs...
  • Yup. I did just that, with my Bolt, prior to getting two PWs. The Bolt has the equivalent of about four PWs in its traction battery, sitting in my garage. I have an emergency backup for my emergency backup...

IIRC, V2G is built into the latest CHAdeMO EV charging standards, but CHAdeMO, as a standard in use, appears to be dying off.