Model X

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

2017 Model X 100D vs 2021 Model Y

I've been researching as much as I can but wondering your thoughts on purchasing a 2017 Model X 100D vs a new Model Y (when 7 seats becomes available).

Here is the one I have been thinking about...
https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJXCBE2XHF044161

What will I be missing in a 2017, that I can get in a 2021 that practically matters? Is the infotainment stuff different? Looks like this model has a APH2 but may be eligible for a free upgrade because it has FSD. Can anyone comment on that?

I am leaning towards the used one to save some money and get a bigger car but wondering if I am overlooking anything really important.

Thanks!

Comments

• Also, does a 2017 have the external speaker?
  • If it has FSD, then you get the HW3.0 AP processor for free, if not already installed. I suspect it already has it. On the external speaker, only cars built in September 2020 and later have it.

One change made in 2018 is the shift to MCU2 (a somewhat faster and newer processor). This car will have MCU1. Some software features, like advanced games and video when parked, require MCU2. You can get an MCU2 retrofit for $2500 if those features interest you.
  • MODEL X cannot be compared to Y. MX is more spacious and even the MX 2017 is a great vehicle, although it lacks Raven update and external speakers. You will need to update the MX to MCU2 for $2500.
    I have a 3, Y and X. Model Y is not very different in space compared to 3, only 10% more, I am a 6 footer and both 3 and Y are not built for comfortable drive for big and tall. I bought X for family long drives along with my German shepherd. I cannot fathom 3 and Y to carry all of us comfortably.
  • > @starlight said:
    > MODEL X cannot be compared to Y. MX is more spacious and even the MX 2017 is a great vehicle, although it lacks Raven update and external speakers. You will need to update the MX to MCU2 for $2500.
    > I have a 3, Y and X. Model Y is not very different in space compared to 3, only 10% more, I am a 6 footer and both 3 and Y are not built for comfortable drive for big and tall. I bought X for family long drives along with my German shepherd. I cannot fathom 3 and Y to carry all of us comfortably.
    >

Thanks. I am 6'4" and have two kids so size is definitely a consideration. I have test driven all but the MS and I am quite conflicted about a new Y vs an older X. New X is just too expensive for me.
  • Honestly MY is not very spacious and I would say just a tiny bit bigger than M3. I can't imagine taking long drives on MY.

you can buy a 2019 MX.
  • Any family with 5+ people have to get X. The back seats of the Y are basically useless. Even the X is kinda tight. I recommend the six seater because it provides legroom for third row as well as visibility.