Energy Products

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Gateway 2 compatibly with Ubiquiti wifi products

Hi all, I've had my Powerwall 2 since last March and cannot get the unit to remain connected to my Ubiquiti Unifi Wifi network. Even on the installation date the installer wasnt able and I later found the unit would only connect if I forced my network to only output 2.4Ghz.

I was happy to do this for a while but this is no longer a suitable option, just wondering has anyone else had this issue?

I've called a few times and the tech can get it to connect once and closes the case.

Comments

• There are numerous routers (as well internet connected devices) that do the same thing - it is not unique to Tesla. It is extremely frustrating when you have a mix of obligate 2.4 and 5.0 devices on the same network. I finally gave up on my old router and changed to the Google mesh product and have had zero problems with any of the devices since the change.
  • The Google mesh product is currently in my Amazon "save for later" basket. I'm not convinced I need it, but boy, is it nice.
  • I picked up a Google 4-pack at Costco on sale. Coverage is VERY nice throughout the house and well into the yard front and back. Lots of IOT devices and it manages them all very well. Had the Linksys Velop mesh before - piece of garbage - dropped devices constantly and is not a true mesh - more like a router plus extenders is a better description. Using a WiFi device and wandering around - the "handshake" was more like a "strangle-hold". It would hold on to the device until the signal literally dropped off before handing to a different node. Could not even give it away in good conscience...garbage.
    My son picked up the Nest version (also at Costco) for his Hawaii home and it supports two adults doing extensive work from home, two high school age kids doing the remote school plus frequent guests (and IOT devices) with ease. He also has the google product in his mainland home. Three flawless installs. Setup takes about 5 minutes per node including plugging them in and mounting them. Nice thing about the Google version - has two ethernet ports on each node to support wired devices (or wired backbone or both).
  • > @Patto647 said:
    > Hi all, I've had my Powerwall 2 since last March and cannot get the unit to remain connected to my Ubiquiti Unifi Wifi network. Even on the installation date the installer wasnt able and I later found the unit would only connect if I forced my network to only output 2.4Ghz.
    >
    > I was happy to do this for a while but this is no longer a suitable option, just wondering has anyone else had this issue?
    >
    > I've called a few times and the tech can get it to connect once and closes the case.

I also find another problem with the proxy server that tesla use. I use for my work with livescore in dota and noticed that i can`t connect to the site while in tesla. I thought that there was a problem with the site but then read that tesla used a nonstandard proxy and port for connecting that`s why i can`t log in the site. So just spent some time changing it and it`s working now. I think you have to try this solution too.
  • I also find another problem with the proxy server that tesla use. I use https://hawk.live/ for my work with livescore in dota and noticed that i can`t connect to the site while in tesla. I thought that there was a problem with the site but then read that tesla used a nonstandard proxy and port for connecting that`s why i can`t log in the site. So just spent some time changing it and it`s working now. I think you have to try this solution too.
  • Jones, Can you daisy-chain the nodes? (If you can't, I'll need to add an 8-port switch to my backbone.)
  • Yup - you can chain them if you want to have a wired backbone and serve just wireless devices. I did add an 8 port GB switch in my entertainment center to allow wired connections for a bunch of devices in that location - otherwise - basic daisy chain configuration.
  • If you are using Ubiquiti, read up on their recent data breach to see if and how you may be affected.
  • Which Ubiquiti products are you using?

In regards to recent data breach, I don't utilize their free "Cloud Key" to manage network, but I also do not use Ubiquiti for my gateway/modem/router. I do still utilize 2fa for my Ubiquiti sign-in.

I have some Unifi products 2 In-Wall HD, 3 Switch Flex's, and 1 Cloud Key Gen 2.

I have several "IOT" devices that only work over 2.4Ghz and have those on separate V-Lan that only broadcasts over 2.4Ghz. Since those devices are not really utilized on the home network and instead need actual internet service to work with a server: My Q Garage, Thermostats, however my older Solar City SolarGuard is hardwired on the IOT V-Lan.

Not sure what Ubiquiti products you are using, but creating a separate V-Lan that is 2.4Ghz only should work. Or if you don't want to manage/configure a separate V-Lan than you can change the SSID broadcast name of the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz so that your Powerball Gateway will only need the 2.4Ghz SSID.

Can also try adjusting minimum RSSI by measuring wifi signal near the Gateway 2. Then making sure to set 5Ghz minimum RSSI at a lower threshold to force 2.4Ghz. I had to adjust the Radio broadcast strength and minimum RSSI along with Band-steering to get proper AP hop where there was overlap between the 2 In-Wall HDs. (Also did my best to minimize broadcasting past my residence borders to minimize neighbor interference.)
  • I have a Ubiquiti setup for mine. I have two gateways connected.
    I played with signal strength, firewall configurations, DHCP scope and options, etc. I had the same issues of them dropping off. I went through the Ubiquiti logs on the cloudkey and the devices themselves. . . Here is what it came down to:
    If it is turned on, turn off the WIFI AI. It is going to go through and bounce WIFI as it tries to optimize the WIFI. There is an issue related to it being able to re-establish a DHCP address after that process has run. I setup an internal monitor for any addresses connected to WIFI, let the monitor run, and had it alert me with any blip in connectivity. There were a lot of logs but I found the time correlation just after the AI would run its processes.
    Essentially, turned it off and have not had the issue since.
    It did impact a couple of other items as well (Sense, Nest, etc.)