Model 3

Taillight condensation: DIY fix

If anyone gives this approach a go, I’d love to hear how it works out.

https://youtu.be/HgLlj04SLrA

Comments

• Great find. Thankyou!
  • Thanks - now that I know they are defective I can call service. Was wondering what caused that on mine, bugs my wife like crazy.
  • > @bpr1de said:
    > If anyone gives this approach a go, I’d love to hear how it works out.
    >
    > https://youtu.be/HgLlj04SLrA

But why do it yourself? Tesla ought to replace those defective lenses. This issue has been known at least 2 years ago. I took delivery of my 2021 model 3 last month, and both of my tail lights have condensation. Tesla's tech says it is normal? Ha? What is normal is for them to replace them pronto! like all car makers would sensibly do. But no Tesla insists it is normal. A class-action lawsuit may be necessary. Sign me up, please!!!
  • @jednav, suing isn’t necessary. I took pics of mine, attached to my service appointment request via app, and they replaced under warrantee. All good.
  • Cool fix and diagnostics.
  • I may give this a try. Think I have liquid tape in my garage. Not going to bother with leak test and baking it in the oven. Heat gun and liquid tape the whole thing should do the trick.
  • TUMS, yeah was thinking the same thing if someone was going to try just skip to final step of sealing everything.
  • edited January 24
    Just did this tonight.

Model 3 taillight assembly seal
    https://imgur.com/gallery/72ECIb4

Globbed on the liquid electric tape along the seals. We'll see if it does the trick.

Couple of tips:
    - Mask tape over the clear polycarbonate. Don't get LET on it.
    - Use a retainer clip remover tool. Or you'll break the clips when removing them. I have to go get a few. lol
  • > @jednav said: > But why do it yourself? Tesla ought to replace those defective lenses."

Neighbor had it on new Y and Tesla fixed it.

He noticed I have it on my right side light. Problem is it goes away in the sun so getting Tesla to fix it is is hard. Half the service people say "Within Normal Limits" and another will say they'll fix. Just not worth the hassle of going round with Tesla to get it fixed.

Won't do the "fix", just make sure I heat up the right rear light when I go to sell it.
  • @ TUMS4GAS, thanks for follow up! How long did it take you?
  • @M3phan About 45 min. I put two coats of liquid tape waiting 10 minutes between the coats. One coat is probably sufficient.
  • So far so good with the DIY fix.

Had few rainy nights with sunny mornings in Seattle recently, pretty much ideal recipe for testing moisture seals.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @jednav said: > But why do it yourself? Tesla ought to replace those defective lenses."
    >
    > Neighbor had it on new Y and Tesla fixed it.
    >
    > He noticed I have it on my right side light. Problem is it goes away in the sun so getting Tesla to fix it is is hard. Half the service people say "Within Normal Limits" and another will say they'll fix. Just not worth the hassle of going round with Tesla to get it fixed.
    >
    > Won't do the "fix", just make sure I heat up the right rear light when I go to sell it.

I'd guess members of this forum would at this point be willing to pool their $$ to offer to buy your car for $100,000 just to get you to move on and STFU. However, you won't actually ever sell the car, you won't ever move on, and you won't ever STFU, so enjoy your foggy taillight!