Model 3

Do I have premium connectivity for life (Apr 2018 manufacture)?

Does my used Model 3, manufactured in April 2018) have premium connectivity for the life of the vehicle?

According to info I found elsewhere, Model 3s ordered prior to 7/1/2018 have permanent premium connectivity. I just bought this car through Carvana and it had premium connectivity installed. However, once I had the car recognized as mine by Tesla and activated the app, I was informed that I had a 30-day trial of premium which would end next month.

Does anyone know how to verify this? My guess is that this question will be coming up a lot, as the early 2018 models are now coming off lease and going on the used car market.

Comments

• 1. Car bought new before july 2018 gets it for life of the vehicle
    2. Car bought used before January 2020 will carry over
    3. Anything after the above 2 timeframes will not get it for life of the vehicle.

You fall in the 3rd category since you weren't the original owner.
  • I thought I fell into the first category, as the car was sold new before July 2018. Or does "life of vehicle" not mean what it says?
  • Welcome to the club....

I just bought an M3 that had Premium Connectivity for life and Tesla removed it once they transferred ownership to me.

1. The June 30, 2018 timeline applied ONLY to the original owner who ordered back then.

2. Tesla changed their rules and grandfathered everyone who bought a used Tesla M3 LR (with premium interior) from a 3rd party dealer or private sale on 01/08/20. Anyone else on 01/09/20 is SOL.
    https://www.tesla.com/support/connectivity

You can register the car under your name and legally drive it but you won't be able to use supercharging because the prior owner's account is attached to the car. You can't request any services until you make the transfer.

You won't be able to login into the Tesla mobile app until the the actual owner removes and transfers the the vehicle to you or you initiate the ownership transfer yourself online (phone, PC/Mac/iPad..etc)

It takes up to 72hrs for them to do the transfer. Mine was do in about 2.5 days. You will have to reset your current PW once they made the transfer sine the app will not recognize your credentials.
  • This is disappointing. Tesla is reducing the value of our cars by removing features which came with the car. So when we sell our cars, the value is reduced. This is disappointing for affected Tesla owners.
  • What about EAP and/or FSD?
  • The vehicle retains EAP or FSD
  • So let's take this thing one thought at a time shall we....

My M3 is practically new with only 8k miles. I got it out the door for $36k with EAP and of course Lifetime Connectivity.

Had I bought this car back in early 2020, it would have been closer to $50K. The original owner paid around $62k.

So the way I see it, I rather have no Premium Connectivity for life but saved $20k. The way I see it, that lifetime feature was a ploy that was not sustainable.
  • > @JEI said:
    > So let's take this thing one thought at a time shall we....
    >
    > My M3 is practically new with only 8k miles. I got it out the door for $36k with EAP and of course Lifetime Connectivity.
    >
    > Had I bought this car back in early 2020, it would have been closer to $50K. The original owner paid around $62k.
    >
    > So the way I see it, I rather have no Premium Connectivity for life but saved $20k. The way I see it, that lifetime feature was a ploy that was not sustainable.

Well done! i paid 62.5k for my LR RWD in march of 2018. i have 65k mikes on it now. Loved every single one! Cant wait to trade for CyberTruck!
  • Thiis is what Tesla is still saying on its connective page:

"All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car."

It doesn't say anything about change of owners on or before 7/30/18. It just says "car," I thought that meant the car had the feature.

It's not a big deal. I'll shell out the $120 a year. But it's not what they said to the original owner nor what they are saying even now. I have to go to a Tesla service center tomorrow (charge port does not open except manually), so I'll see if anyone there knows differently.
  • edited January 5
    Tesla needs to clean up the verbiage on that support page. In several places they make reference to "lifetime of the car" when what they really mean is lifetime of the ownership, not the life of the car.
  • Well it actually means the lifetime of the car with the original owner. If I get into an accident in my 2018 Model 3 and total it, I wouldn't be able to transfer that to a new Model 3. The same rules now apply to newer lifetime Supercharging cars. Originally, lifetime supercharging transferred from owner to owner, but newer cars that got a lifetime deal (or their cars have somehow had Lifetime charging since Nov 2018 due to the wildfires in California), it does not transfer to a new owner when sold.
  • --------------------2021 UPDATE---------------------
    I just had my "Lifetime Connectivity" restored.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Originally when I did my transfer of ownership and I was offered the 30 day trial I didn't argue my point since I didn't look into the fine print found in the support connectivity page.

Once I had some wine and lots of loving from the GF I decided to revisit the page and look through it closely. A lot of the 2018 info is obsolete yet still found within this page because it matters when the original owner ordered the vehicle. To make this thing shorter I'll get to how this applies to me.

1. Bought Privately and M3 had active Lifetime
    Connectivity

2. Bought after 01/21/20 "WITH" active Lifetime Connectivity

The page states clearly who keeps this and who doesn't. There are two paragraphs under "What connectivity package applies to Tesla cars purchased privately and have transferred ownership?"

You have to be able to show proof and articulate in your particular case why this option offered to the original owner applies to you.

I want to add the Tesla Customer Support was awesome but to get to the right people that came make this change is a mission....