General

Porsche Taycan Sets Record.. DESTROY's Tesla

The Porsche Taycan just completed the cannonball run from New York to L.A, a record previously held by Tesla.

The Porsche Taycan tdid it without the use of Tesla Supercharger network and instead used the E.A network. They did it with a car with an EPA rating of nearly half of Tesla's and they did it in a far less efficient vehicle in the middle of winter, vs the Tesla who set the record in the summer.

"Taycan proved to be a massively capable road-tripping machine. Its interior was near-silent, provided a fantastic ride quality, and even had massaging seats—the epitome of a German luxury sedan meant to break records like this."

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38578/a-porsche-taycan-just-beat-tesla-for-the-fastest-ev-cannonball-run-record

Comments

• Call us when Porsche has better sale numbers.
  • Same driver that set the Tesla record, a coordinated effort by Porsche and EA to help get the job done. Not quite as impressive when you have people behind the scenes helping the outcome
  • 44 hours, 25 minutes, and 59 seconds ...

My friend @Bighorn and I could beat that without needing EV America and Porsche on speed dial.
  • Weird timing to post this just when Tesla stock all time high. Oh wait it's all time high every day. Nevermind.
  • Also, always asking for max power is going to do a number on your battery regarding longevity.

🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Race cars are often built to be one and done, don't you know.
  • I’m tempted to get a roadster just to see optimal time across country.

600 mike range. Charge every 400 miles. Average 78mph driving.

I think we could break 40 hours pretty easily. Just a WAG at this point.
  • @PteRoy, thanks for the link. I'll read it later but it sounds like some good things are coming for other automobile makers.
  • The more impressive part of it is the taycan having an epa rated range less than the sr+ while doing the run in the winter vs the old record being done in the summer with a more efficient and far superior range.

Sounds like a celebration of EV tech.
  • > @PteRoy said:
    > The more impressive part of it is the taycan having an epa rated range less than the sr+ while doing the run in the winter vs the old record being done in the summer with a more efficient and far superior range.
    >
    > Sounds like a celebration of EV tech.

Some folks are just easily impressed, it’s kind of like water being wet, impressive
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > There should be an asterisk since it was a modified vehicle, to charge faster.

I wouldn't quit call it a modified charging system. Not sure why the communications with EA since the car has the same battery heating option the Tesla has just before your ready to charge the car.
    The Model 3 can charge faster than a Taycan from what I've heard.
  • Preheating was not working as designed. Part of the lemony aspect.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Barely beat a lowly Model 3 with a much lower top speed and probably a sane driver not willing to risk their lives and those of others going 160 mph on a public road.

A lowly model 3? The model 3 had significantly more range. A better charging network. More efficient. Did it in warmer weather. The drivers were the same. He set the record in his tesla, now beat it in the taycan. Average speed was less than 70mph if you're trying to claim they were driving 160mph the entire time.
  • Charging time will bring down rapid average driving speeds very quickly. You can’t average over 50 mph in an old Model S or much over 60 in a Model 3. Removing charging limits would be the only way to get to 70. That’s what Porsche did.
  • Lowly was referring to the price.
  • Let's seem him do that with a car driven off the lot and without factory & EA support.
  • Did he have to be in contact with Tesla to be able to do his previous run?
  • It’s like having a virtual pit crew. The guy who drive around NA last winter needed Porsche’s help to get his car to charge as well. Common theme. Problem technology without any synergy to boxster engine design.
  • *drove
  • This was always more interesting and relevant.

Porsche Taycan Turbo Owner Completes Epic 11,000-Mile Road Trip

https://insideevs.com/news/404931/porsche-taycan-turbo-road-trip/