Model 3

Ridiculous vampire drain

I'm starting my 4th 90% charge since I received my 2021 M3 LR. I'm down at 40 miles having driven 45 miles since my last charge. My odometer is showing as 394 miles. Temperatures have been hovering around 0C but I wasn't expecting to lose around 250 miles over the course of about a week. Is this normal?

Comments

• Make sure you don't have Scheduled Departure turned on. That will activate the heater to precondition the car, even if it's not plugged in.
  • Also make sure you have Sentry off. That loses about 1.5-2 miles per hour.
  • ^This. And shut of summon standby. These features keep the car from going to sleep. Also, avoid checking the car via the app as that wakes up the car. Loss is minimal while the car is sleeping. If you are charging from home, then the best practice is to leave the car plugged.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > ^This. And shut of summon standby. These features keep the car from going to sleep. Also, avoid checking the car via the app as that wakes up the car. Loss is minimal while the car is sleeping. If you are charging from home, then the best practice is to leave the car plugged.

If you check the app every 30 minutes... it will make an impact. I left on a cruise for a week and lost like 10 miles. If I'm home for a weekend and open the app a bunch, I'll lose the same. Waking the car gets the juices flowing.
  • Cold will knock about 30% off the range for winter.

You can track you car with TeslaFI.com and StatsApp for Tesla which will help you see where the battery usage is occurring.
  • Ignore my grandson.
  • FISHEV is present. Public Service Announcement:
    FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
    names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
    take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
    suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
    about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
  • If the recommendations of hokiegirl and stingray.don don't fix the issue (they generally will):
    1) Check to see if the phone(s) you are using for your key are frequently moving in and out of the connection range. This could be causing some drain.
    2) Do a hard reboot (car in park, foot on brake, hold down both thumbwheel buttons).
    2) fixed it for me one time. I haven't personally encountered 1).
  • And can I correctly assume that you don’t leave your car plugged in when you’re not driving? Always good practice to leave your car plugged in… Unless of course you’re in a situation where that’s not possible.
  • Likely you have scheduled departure set and because your not plugged in it uses battery power to pre-warm the battery. You can disable that in the scheduled departure menu or just leave the car plugged in.
  • I think that Tesla should make a software update for "sleep" mode. So that a driver who knows that he will not need the car sentry mode etc. for several hours or days can minimize the vampire drain. The car could be woken up again from the app or card before driving again. People who do not need the feature would not have to use it.
    It seems strange to have the most efficient electric car on the market that then wastes so much energy on standby.
  • Ajwill1131_98571719,

The car already goes into sleep mode automatically.
  • The time it takes to automatically go into sleep mode varies from car to car. A manual override would be easy to program and would solve the issue as well as allowing an override of features accidentally left on.
  • Hello. I have read the manual.

I have a SR+ which I picked up last April. I also have a significant vampire drain issue. I drive into downtown Chicago every day, and park in an indoor parking garage---temp inside probably 70 degrees. During an 8 to 9 hour day at work, I lose about 5%. I start my commute at 80%. Arrive at work at about 65%. Very often get in the car at the end of my work day and it's at 60%. I do not use sentry mode. I am not activating the app. Not contacting the car at all during the time it is parked. Scheduled departure is only set for when I leave in the morning (and by the way I think the new pre-conditioning feature is great). But I'm frustrated by this issue of drain. Any ideas?

Thank you.
  • > @parogers_98655517 said:
    > Hello. I have read the manual.
    >
    > I have a SR+ which I picked up last April. I also have a significant vampire drain issue. I drive into downtown Chicago every day, and park in an indoor parking garage---temp inside probably 70 degrees. During an 8 to 9 hour day at work, I lose about 5%. I start my commute at 80%. Arrive at work at about 65%. Very often get in the car at the end of my work day and it's at 60%. I do not use sentry mode. I am not activating the app. Not contacting the car at all during the time it is parked. Scheduled departure is only set for when I leave in the morning (and by the way I think the new pre-conditioning feature is great). But I'm frustrated by this issue of drain. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you.

Any USB or 12v Accessory devices plugged in? Are you certain the car locking when you walk away?

I hope its not a Valet Lot.. They guy could be watching Netflix. Grin
  • Seeing as the OP never returned I guess we can say his issue was resolved!
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > Seeing as the OP never returned I guess we can say his issue was resolved!

Joined the same day as his post. Hit and Run Troll??? Or maybe he did discover the Valet watching Netflix. Grin
  • The only thing plugged into USB is my Tesla inductive phone charger---Nothing else. Would it draw 5% of the battery during an 8 hour workday? And no, no valet!
    > The only thing plugged into USB is my Tesla inductive phone charger---Nothing else. Would it draw 5% of the battery during an 8 hour workday? And no, no valet!

The phone charger should not cause that type of a drain unless there is something wrong with it. But maybe try unplugging it one day as a test. Is the car locking for sure when you walk away? For some reason it seems like the Tesla is not sleeping while you are away. No Dog Mode, Camp Mode or Climate On? Nothing you can think of that would keep the car awake?

Did you car ever use your office Wifi? Maybe its close enough to keep trying to connect but cant? Try turning off the WiFi as a test one day and see if that stops the drain.
  • The car is definitely locking, (I often stand there and watch it do it) and I have not used the company wifi. No dog mode or camp mode.
    > The car is definitely locking, (I often stand there and watch it do it) and I have not used the company wifi. No dog mode or camp mode.

Try unplugging the wireless charger then. If that doesn't help then something is keeping the car awake. Is it only at your office/indoor parking? Does it lose 5% at home or parked somewhere else?
  • Do you have standby summon turned on? That causes drain.
  • I don't have summon on my car.
  • Maybe Tesla can run a remote diagnostic for you. Try requesting one with reason why via phone app service tab.
  • Would be interesting if you would respond to the question as to "Is it only at your office/indoor parking? Does it lose 5% at home or parked somewhere else?"

That might help.