Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Buying a 210 000 miles Tesla P85, good or bad idea ?

Hi,
I found a Tesla Model S P85 with 210 000 miles of 2015 that got a battery cell replacement last year.
Do you think it worth the buy ?
Supercharge and autopilot included.
Is there important think that I need to check ?

Regards,
Samir

Comments

• Well, including charging it is a GREAT idea (though this might need a little more consideration)
  • Mine has 305k and is going strong. Price?
    Check range when fully charged to judge battery.
  • Larger wheels and tires more prone to damage and should be checked.

Brakes and suspension also if car came from rust or salt belt.

Check approx capacity of replaced battery, as it has been rebuilt, not new. Divide RM by % remaining, by toggling Range/Energy on the Energy menu on the main screen.

Make sure airbag and steering gear recalls have been done. Check car fax for repairs and accidents.

Check screens for yellow border and damage, esp main screen for slow response.

If not buying from original owner you may loose FUSC.

Most all the above can be done by any competent mechanic, but if a Tesla service center will do a inspection that is best.
  • Honestly the main question is how much are you getting it for? If you share that info we can possibly guide you better.
    If you really getting it for peanuts then I say go for it. But if you paying a lot then not worth it. But again depends on the $$ you paying
  • Thank you for your answers.
    I will check all of this. I also know that the upper right suspension triangle was changed last year.
    The price is 34000€, what do you think ?
  • I'm not sure I would trust advice on the OP's question from this forum.
    Most of us are owners who might have a vested interest in high resale value for our cars.
    There are also a bunch of paid trolls here who want to discredit Tesla and love to give bad advice to unsuspecting posters.
  • Let's see now ...

Find a car which is becoming IMFAMOUS for unreliability and poor service...find one with > 200k miles ...

Is this a joke? Are you OUTTA YOUR MIND?
  • Ignore the FUDsters like NOLEK SUM. He hates Tesla and anyone that likes Tesla.
  • I love Tesla but I wouldn't buy any car with that many miles.
  • If the battery is good and everything else checks out, go for it assuming you can afford the repairs and maintenance. Just like any car with 200,000+ miles, there will be repairs, so don’t spend your entire budget on the purchase. I’d budget at least an average of $2-$3 thousand a year for repairs and maintenance realizing that some years will probably be more than that.
  • fholley, "...just like any car with 200,000 miles...." Ummm, not quite.

A gasoline car with those kind of miles will likely have head gasket leaks, valve cover gasket leaks, failing water pumps, alternators, transmission issues, engines burning oil.

The only similarity with ICE cars at that mile point would be suspension parts.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > fholley, "...just like any car with 200,000 miles...." Ummm, not quite.
    >
    > A gasoline car with those kind of miles will likely have head gasket leaks, valve cover gasket leaks, failing water pumps, alternators, transmission issues, engines burning oil.
    >
    > The only similarity with ICE cars at that mile point would be suspension parts.

Never had any of those problems until much later.

95 Integra, 463k miles.
    Drivetrain and accessories all original, but leaking, burning oil and alt is going, and just failed smog.

My maint cost averages out for the Integra at 500/yr. Similar to other cars I have owned including a Lexus ES sedan.

A car with 200k (I have taken 4 beyond that) will need to have been made with a certain quality. If a inspection turns up no evidence of chronic problems, likely to go another 50-100k.
  • Longevity has a lot to do with how the car was taken care of. With ICE cars, there is a lot more maintenance that has to be done in the right periods.

For example, a 200K mile ICE car that had all the maintenance done at the recommended service intervals will last far longer than a 200K mile ICE car where the owner skipped most maintenance and occasionally added oil when the low oil light came on. So without knowing the history, a high-mileage ICE car is risky for very expensive fixes.

A high-mileage EV has some risk depending on how the battery was treated. For example, an EV that is used as a taxi service for 200K miles and charged twice a day at Superchargers from 5% to 95% will not have as long a life as a 200K EV that was used primarily as a commuter car and occasional trips.

In general, there are so few wear items in an EV, a high-mileage EV seems far less risky than a high-mileage ICE car. That doesn't mean it will be problem-free, as it still has tires, suspension, and steering components that will age like all cars.
  • Our 300k mile Tesla looks like new whereas our 100k mile Ford F-350 is ready for the crusher.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > fholley, "...just like any car with 200,000 miles...." Ummm, not quite.
    >
    > A gasoline car with those kind of miles will likely have head gasket leaks, valve cover gasket leaks, failing water pumps, alternators, transmission issues, engines burning oil.
    >
    > The only similarity with ICE cars at that mile point would be suspension parts.

I agree, but there are a lot of very expensive parts that need replacement on Tesla’s. To purchase one with that many miles and not account for those in the budget would be foolish.
  • But then there are items that were not thought of as wear items: MCU1 comes to mind. ;-)
  • Ok, $2,500 MCU and then there is the $2,500-3,000 head gasket job on an ICE.. So, lets call that a wash.....
  • MCU daughterboard is $400 and quite likely will be covered by Tesla.
  • 120k on my MS, only thing that has gone wrong one of the "shocks" on the back trunk blew when the temp hit 105 one day, covered under warranty.
  • Ignore the Fanbois like TeslaTap. Whenever anybody has any criticism whatsoever for Tesla, he cries himself to sleep at night while stroking his anatomically correct Elon musk blowup doll.

Repeat: 200,000 miles? What could possibly go wrong?
  • @"NOLEK SUM", For years now, I have admired the wit you used to capture your userid here. Very clever. And I have seen many of your posts, that show you are not his biggest fan. Which brings me to my question, please. Why do you use that userid as your userid here since you clearly are not a fan. I don't think the reverse is disrespectful so that makes less sense. And using it even backwards is fun not a display of dislike. So simply - why? Why use his name? Please. :)
  • Because it drives the pathetic no-life fanbois bats..t.
  • The owner of old 2013 S85 just replaced the Master Charge Unit for $2600 plus tax. 120,000 miles. He was upset until he realized that was about a years gas.
  • @akikiki

Either that or it's Slovenian.
  • Yeah, because a 2-3% maintenance cost is totally unexpected. /s
    Loser.