Cybertruck

Ford F-250 Vs. Tesla Cybertruck

My Uncle has a F-250 But is a cybertruck better?

Comments

• depends what its used for. But the F250 doesnt really have more towing capacity than the tri-motor.

IMO, its better.
  • Sometimes these "What's better" questions comparing to legacy are loaded questions. Ford has 26 different pickup truck models, from the midsize Ranger up to the SuperDuty F-450 Limited (which starts at $91K). Where Tesla just has the CyberTruck with three motor choices, it will be impossible for the CT to be all pickup trucks for all people. Just like how a cattle rancher's F-450 would not be better for a 75-year-old suburban's Ranger or vice versa. So Tesla CT won't beat Ford F Series in every task.
    As Andy says, it all depends what you need/ expect from your truck.
  • What the CyberTruck will provide is wild styling, dramatically lower fueling costs, faster acceleration, and the latest technology. Lots of cool features that are not available on any F-series too, like the electrically retractable cover, bullet resistance, stainless steel body, full-self driving option, and tailgate ramp.

I'm sure there are some unique features the F-series has that may appeal to you as well, such as ... well not sure what they might be. Ford nameplate?
  • He uses it to go places

that"s about it.
  • Based on that I'd say CT is better. Seems F250 is inefficient and overfill for just driving around. CT will haul a lot as needed and is going to be a lot cheaper and easier to operate and maintain as a daily driver.
  • Just an estimate but I’d say An F250 will be better For: heavy towing (probably >7 or 8k lbs), long distance towing, snow plowing, truck top camper set up, 5th wheel, and off roading. Almost Everything else the CT will be better.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > depends what its used for. But the F250 doesnt really have more towing capacity than the tri-motor.
    >
    > IMO, its better.

New F150 is rated to 15k lbs and is a HD truck (3/4 ton). From what we know the CT is more a consumer 1/2 ton competitor. Most likely a diesel f250 will tow a >7-8k lb load much better then a CT.
  • How does one tow something better? Im sure the lack of gears will result in a much smoother towing experience. You can also get 3000lbs in the bed of the cybertruck.

Again, it depends what you are going to use it for. But best leave the opinion on which will tow better until we can actually compare.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > How does one tow something better? Im sure the lack of gears will result in a much smoother towing experience. You can also get 3000lbs in the bed of the cybertruck.
    >
    > Again, it depends what you are going to use it for. But best leave the opinion on which will tow better until we can actually compare.

Tow rating doesn’t really have much to do with functional towing ability. Just because you can tow something dosn’t mean you should. My statement of Better is: more stable and less effected by the towing. In general the best tow vehicles are heavy, long wheelbase, stiff suspension.

I’ve owned 3 camper trailers over the last ~22 years and probably have around 200k miles of towing between all of them. First one was a classic from the 1960’s I refurbished it weighed ~4K lbs. first few year I towed it with my 1998 f250 plow truck, it was rated to 10k lbs. towed it like it wasn’t there. In 2004 I got a Mercedes g500, it was rated to 7k lbs and my small 4K AS was at its limits.

My next camper was a larger new ~7k airstream we got in 2006. The g could pull it but actually towing with it was terrifying, I only used my old f250. Then in 2013 sold the g and got a new LX570 that is also rated to 7k lbs. the LX towed the AS like a dream and I was able to get rid of the f250. In 2016 we sold out AS and got a ORV 22BHS again ~7k lbs. my brother has a Grand cherokee rated to 7400 lbs and it struggled to tow my ORV he ended up with a <5k lb rPod, and although rated to 400 lbs less my LX tows it very well. Have a buddy with an 8k lb camper he had a tundra rated to 10k lbs, it struggled he switched to a GM 2500 HD and it’s night and day better.

And to solidify the pull is different than tow here is a Chevy commercial from 1972 of a 3/4 ton pulling 187 tons (374000 lbs)
    https://youtu.be/LL4OeiMjvtk
  • Lets see how it performs when we can actually test it.
  • "Better", "Best", "more value" etc. are subjective. There is no answer to that. Sure a 0-60 time of 3 seconds is faster than 4 sec., but it depends on the person as to how much value they put on a 0-60 time, to assign the "best, better" accolade.