General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Taycan 4S has fastest ever EV Cannonball Run

Comments

• > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > Is that the one with the white patches along the wheel barrels?
    >
    > Looks good in motion; looks not so good parked.

Yes... I like it. But it’s all preference.
  • > @SbMD said: How is that Porsche reduced the overall projections from their original 1-5 year ramp up, then backed down, and reframed it as an increase?”

You probably need to get more foundational, why do Porsche and all the EV and automotive media talk and document Porsche Taycan record sales?

“ Double-digit return on sales despite the uncertain situation”

“Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board at Porsche AG, believes that the impressive product range is another success factor: “Our young, attractive product portfolio appeals to customers. I’m optimistic about the coming months,” says Blume. “The new 911 and our electric sports car, the Taycan, impressively demonstrate our innovative strength, and their sales figures have exceeded our expectations.” 25,400 units of the classic 911 sports car were delivered in the first nine months of the year, corresponding to an increase of one percent year-on-year. The all-electric Porsche Taycan was launched in September 2019 and was handed over to almost 11,000 customers between January and September.”

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/company/porsche-operating-result-return-on-sales-deliveries-investments-quarter-3-2020-22735.html
  • Indeed. I don’t like big saloons in general.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > Indeed. I don’t like big saloons in general.

EVs may finally start offering 2 door options with batteries getting more energy dense.
  • @fish - "You probably need to get more foundational, why do Porsche and all the EV and automotive media talk and document Porsche Taycan record sales?"

In fact, my assessment is foundational. Press sound bites from CEOs who have had to adjust their production numbers aren't generally going to shine a light on shifts in production, labor issues relevant to this, and how this would disappoint Angela Merkel's mandate to German automakers. This includes the closed door sessions she had with their leadership a few years back before their launching German EV infrastructure and support initiatives.

See, that level of detail is "foundational". I can explain why, if you need. Just let me know. Glad to help you out.

Start from the beginning if you want to have a real conversation. Good luck.
  • Cheapest one in Orange County I saw is $137,000 so more than twice the cost of a performance model 3.
  • > @Darthamerica said:
    > > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > Indeed. I don’t like big saloons in general.
    >
    > EVs may finally start offering 2 door options with batteries getting more energy dense.

Yes, that’s more my flavor.
  • Since you want to encourage folks to be "foundational", @fish, part of such an endeavor is to better understand the Corporate Culture of the companies you would seek to comment on.

Here's something you should read (or similar, on this topic):

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/31/business/worldbusiness/31norris.html

Now, this is still not getting deep enough to be "foundational" as I personally see it, but I don't want to make it more difficult for you by going back further by decades to map out the long view of the company and evolution. That is actually "foundational", and is the level at which I strive to understand.

But, you can stick to your press sound bites in orchestrated junkets and feel this is the depth where you are most comfortable. To each their own.
  • Don’t they report sales to dealer lots and not actual customers? Tons sitting in lots going unsold.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > Cheapest one in Orange County I saw is $137,000 so more than twice the cost of a performance model 3.

It’s a Porsche. M3P isn’t in the same universe. It’s a souped up EV economy car. You really need to compare to Model S to sort of get in the luxury segment. And since it’s Taycan, you have to compare to the performance version of Model S. So for a roughly comparable difference it’s ~$100K+ vs whatever Taycan you’re talking about.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Don’t they report sales to dealer lots and not actual customers? Tons sitting in lots going unsold.

Yes. Lots around... and in lots!
  • > @SbMD said: > In fact, my assessment is foundational. “

I’m sure you think so but all the facts say otherwise and Taycan is huge success for Porsche as we see from all the referenced articles vs. your “assessment”.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @SbMD said: > In fact, my assessment is foundational. “
    >
    > I’m sure you think so but all the facts say otherwise and Taycan is huge success for Porsche as we see from all the referenced articles vs. your “assessment”.

Feel free to believe what you believe. If you really want to have a conversation about this, you really need to catch up. Being "foundational" isn't your speed from what I can tell. You focus on sound bites and 9 month old articles to make a point that had already been made, discussed, debunked, and analyzed back when the articles were published and then updated on a trolling basis with current production numbers.

Again, you shouldn't feel bad. You are probably just learning about the larger topic, and you have to start somewhere.

Good luck on your learning journey, @fish. It sounds like a swim upstream for you.
  • edit: rolling basis and not "trolling".
    Freudian slip which describes your behavior, @fish, but I honestly didn't mean that. My apologies.
  • > @SbMD said:> Feel free to believe what you believe. “

I’ll leave the raw opinion or “assessment” to you.

I’ll keep going by the actual facts posted by Porsche and media on record Taycan sales for Porsche.
  • What record has been set?
  • Porsche has sold more Taycans than anyone else? lol.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @SbMD said:> Feel free to believe what you believe. “
    >
    > I’ll leave the raw opinion or “assessment” to you.
    >
    > I’ll keep going by the actual facts posted by Porsche and media on record Taycan sales for Porsche.

Yes, you should go by what you think you know, but cannot faithfully represent here.

Are you aware of the production numbers and the sales numbers, as well as the sell-through (delivery)?

Do you think they match 1:1:1?

Curious if you are aware of how these numbers play out, and what the "press numbers" represent.

Good luck working on that. Seems like you haven't as of yet.
  • > @SbMD said: > Yes, you should go by what you think you know, but cannot faithfully represent here.”

Only know what I read in the newspapers.

But you have it backwards, I’ve provided three facts with links saying Porsche is doing great with Taycan. You have provided nothing but your “assessment”.

“Porsche Taycan Sales To Exceed Target Of 20,000 This Year”

https://insideevs.com/news/456396/porsche-taycan-sales-20000-this-year/

“Automotive News reports that global demand for the Taycan has outstripped Porsche’s expectations. “

https://electrek.co/2020/05/26/pandemic-causes-porsche-to-slow-down-us-sales-of-taycan-ev/

“Double-digit return on sales despite the uncertain situation. The new 911 and our electric sports car, the Taycan, impressively demonstrate our innovative strength, and their sales figures have exceeded our expectations.”

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/company/porsche-operating-result-return-on-sales-deliveries-investments-quarter-3-2020-22735.html
  • @FISHEV - Again, you are only scratching the surface of what is being reported, and not what was Porsche's plans and projections.

Go back and re-read for comprehension what I have written. Also go back and read the article I posted to give you a sense of the type of financial shenanigans that the company has engaged in the past.

Perhaps at that point I can move you to adopt a better level of understanding that you exhibit: the spin on sales is spin on sales. It is quite obvious when you have a depth of understanding of where Porsche started, what they budgeted for, and where they have fallen short. But, spin is spin.

You seem very adept at spin, so this is not a new concept.

However, having a "foundational" level of understanding of the topic may be more than you can handle. If that is the case, I apologize for causing you any distress.
  • Porsche says they’re doing well? No!
  • correction:

understanding that you exhibit -> understanding than you exhibit

My autocorrect is taking over in a way that is hampering my posts. Very sorry about all the corrections!
  • > @SbMD said: > Go back and re-read for comprehension what I have written. "

I'll stick to the financial statements, sales figures, EV and auto media articles and analysis vs. your "assessment".

Taycan big success for Porsche and EV's, the ultimate car company makes the ultimate EV.

But that's just by the numbers.
  • What numbers? The sales goals being cut in half but still can’t sell them?
  • I think he must be talking about the numbers floating around in his imagination as he doesn't have a working relationship with real world or actual numbers.