Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Glovebox USB For Music SSD Loses Connection After Turning Car Off

Loving the 2021 Model 3. Also loving the sound system and the fact that Tesla lets us play our lossless audio files! Amazing. (Wish we still had AIFF support but I can live with it.)

So I'm not trying to complain too much, but am noticing my 1TB SSD with about 650GB of FLAC audio files will lose connection to the car every time I shut her down. This appears to be isolated to the glovebox USB port. So far when I switched to the center console USB-C port, the drive stays connected when I get back in the car after turning it off.

Again, not trying to complain but it would be awesome to keep the SSD in the glovebox in case of a break-in, not to mention the center console ports are in the front so by keeping the drive in there with a USB-C adapter, it sticks out into the compartment quite a bit, rendering the compartment basically useless for holding any other stuff. Anybody else seeing this issue? Wondering if maybe I need to try a different SSD. (Using an internal SSD with SATA-USB Enclosure) Also, the drive has a 100GB partition for dash cam - not sure if that has anything to do with the issue.

Comments

• Not sure what you mean by “loses connection,” but many Teslas have experienced issues with automatically resuming music playback from USB, no matter where the USB is located.
  • Hey EVRider, thanks for the input - I haven't experienced the playback issue yet. What I mean is the drive unmounts from the car and neither the music or the dash cam folders are recognized when I start the car again. So I have to open the glove box, unplug the drive and plug it back in. Then it is recognized again. My assumption at this point is that the glovebox USB port is designed in such a way to send less voltage, so the SSD will not draw so much for Sentry Mode. And this amount of power is insufficient to maintain for a larger SSD.
  • Thanks for clarifying. What you describe doesn't usually happen to me in the front USB ports, but the music USB does sometimes reload when I get in the car. There is sometimes a delay before the USB is recognized, but I never have to remove and reinsert it.

I don't know if the power for the glovebox USB is different from the others, but the power drain for Sentry Mode is caused by the AP computer continuously analyzing the camera video streams, so the power used by the USB itself is inconsequential.
  • Well I answered my own question. The first time I checked the manual in the car I believe it was old and didn’t reference the new 2021 features. Now I see the manual has info about the glovebox usb. It mentions the ability to save dash cam video via that port, but only references the 2 usb-c ports when mentioning music playback. It also mentions the glovebox port minimizes power consumption.
  • Is the glovebox USB a USB C or a USB A?
  • > @Josh_Sacramento said:
    > Is the glovebox USB a USB C or a USB A?

It should be USB A as the sticks are all A. But I think the ports in the center console are C. On the 2021 that is.
  • edited February 26
    > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @Josh_Sacramento said:
    > > Is the glovebox USB a USB C or a USB A?
    >
    > It should be USB A as the sticks are all A. But I think the ports in the center console are C. On the 2021 that is.

Yes, the center console ports (and rear passenger ports) on the 2021 are C
  • Is that new for 2021 models?

From the manual: "The left port is USB-C compatible whereas the right port is USB-A (on vehicles manufactured before approximately June, 2020, both ports are USB-A)."

This is referring to the front ports. This version of the manual doesn't say anything about the glovebox USB, so it's not the latest.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > Is that new for 2021 models?
    >
    > From the manual: "The left port is USB-C compatible whereas the right port is USB-A (on vehicles manufactured before approximately June, 2020, both ports are USB-A)."
    >
    > This is referring to the front ports. This version of the manual doesn't say anything about the glovebox USB, so it's not the latest.

Yes, it's new for 2021. Glovebox is the only A style. Center console is C. Rear seat are are C and only used for charging.
  • Hey Hurd, I've had continued problems w my dashcam USB stick working continuously in the glove box. It's an intermittent failure. I've move it to the usb C port in the center console wo issue. I've detailed it in my post earlier "dashcam not working". Read through it. I have a 2021 as well.
  • https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/173082/dash-cam-icon-disappears-intermittantly/p2