Model Y

Auto Park Car Into/Out Of Narrow Garage

Ideally, drive into the driveway, leave the car in front of the garage, then press a button and car will straighten out and either back in or roll forward into the garage. Ditto when leaving the garage.

When looking at the Summon screen on the app, I see three options--smart summon, reverse and forward. Reverse and Forward both required constant pressing of the button, and, in fact, took several tries and positioning myself in different ways for the desired result. Not ideal.

Is there a one button solution?

Comments

• Hi. Use the summon settings in the car and turn off "continuous press." Then, outside your garage, line up the car, set it to Park and then double tap the Park button again. Select Forward on the screen and get out of your car.
  • OK, so this is all done in the car, and not on the app? What about the opposite scenario? Have the car pull out of the garage and sit in the driveway?
  • Hi. You should be able to use either the car app or the mobile app to park the car, and you can go in or out of your garage. You would use AutoPark while you're still in your car to initiate it. You would use Summon in the mobile app, when you're already out of your car. I think the AutoPark was designed to help you park your car in a tight spot, where you won't be able to get out of your car, if you parked it yourself. To get back into your car, you would then use Summon to back out the car from the tight spot, so you can get in. Also, once you disable "continuous press," you won't need to keep holding down the button on your phone.
  • Does Anyone ever read the manual anymore? It is after all a computer.
  • So are people using auto park for a narrow garage? I am honestly scared to try it since my mirror almost touch both sides of the garage door weather stripping.
  • > @sroach18976 said:
    > So are people using auto park for a narrow garage? I am honestly scared to try it since my mirror almost touch both sides of the garage door weather stripping.

I would probably recommend to just use Summon in your case, so you can stop the car if you think it will scrape on something.
  • > @kashian said:
    > > @sroach18976 said:
    > > So are people using auto park for a narrow garage? I am honestly scared to try it since my mirror almost touch both sides of the garage door weather stripping.
    >
    > I would probably recommend to just use Summon in your case, so you can stop the car if you think it will scrape on something.

> @kashian said:
    > > @sroach18976 said:
    > > So are people using auto park for a narrow garage? I am honestly scared to try it since my mirror almost touch both sides of the garage door weather stripping.
    >
    > I would probably recommend to just use Summon in your case, so you can stop the car if you think it will scrape on something.

@kashian, thanks for your continued engagement on this topic. I'm a Tesla newbie--as you can tell--and your help is much appreciated. I'm mostly interested in the autopark feature. Wife scraped the side of her previous car backing out once, and ever since, parking into and out of the garage has become sort of a stress point for her. Wondering if/hoping autopark/summon feature can reduce this stress point, and was hoping to hear from folks who are experienced with this and can speak to whether or not this is something that works reliably day to day.
  • > @sroach18976 said:
    > So are people using auto park for a narrow garage? I am honestly scared to try it since my mirror almost touch both sides of the garage door weather stripping.

Cftesla (on YouTube) recently posted a video demoing the autopark capability. He has a 2 car garage but used a garbage can to simulate a narrow garage and tested the auto park (double press the park button and exit the car). Net result was it would enter / exit the garage at 8.5 feet width but at 8ft it would not do it.
  • Hi. I understand. Just in case it helps, here's the link to the video @koolio46 was referring. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/d3WECw52-A0
  • > @yelobird_98747025 said:
    > Does Anyone ever read the manual anymore? It is after all a computer.

Who is this manual that you speak of, is it manual labor or Manual Gomez?
  • > @sroach18976 said:

I use auto park with Homelink and it folds/unfolds the mirrors automatically. Never had an issue.
  • If you watch the videos on uTube, you can see that when using the self park mode from outside the car, the mirrors are retracted.

I have an 8.5' x 20' enclosed trailer for towing behind our motorhome and am hoping that I can get the car to go in and out of my trailer with the self parking mode. From watching all the uTube video it looks like I can make it happen. Have to wait until spring to find out for sure.
  • Autopark is not designed to park a car in a home garage.
  • > @Koolio46 said:
    > > @sroach18976 said:
    >
    > Cftesla (on YouTube) recently posted a video demoing the autopark capability. He has a 2 car garage but used a garbage can to simulate a narrow garage and tested the auto park (double press the park button and exit the car). Net result was it would enter / exit the garage at 8.5 feet width but at 8ft it would not do it.
    >

Finally figured out that the foot needs to be off the brake pedal before double-pressing the park button to bring up auto-park/summon screen. [The manual only mentions that the car be in Park].

Started the process at the end of a short driveway, and the car reversed right up to the garage door but stopped, about a foot from the lip of the garage floor. I think the problem is that my garage door width is too narrow--8ft. Ugh! I hope there is improvement in this area via a software update in the future. [Or I could move to a house with a wider garage, ha!].

That said, with continuous press required, I can use the manual summon feature multiple times to get the car to move into the garage. Multiple stops and starts, though. Cool, but not at all practical in this use case.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > Autopark is not designed to park a car in a home garage.

You are right. The manual describes this use case under "Summon," not autopark.