Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Defective Model Y delivered despite issue known to delivery team

On Dec 23, Tesla delivered to us defective new model Y, but assured us at the time that the 12-volt battery alert on the screen would go away--that they had already replaced that battery and that the alert would clear within a matter of hours. Relying on the delivery team, we took the car home but the alert didn't clear and the car couldn't access autopilot, TACC, updates, wi-fi -- nada. We returned the car to their service center, where they have tried a number of things to fix it, unsuccessfully. So far they are stumped. This car should never have been delivered to customer, and we have demanded that Tesla replace it with a new, properly functioning Model Y as ordered and paid for. Tesla has not responded. We are exceedingly disappointed.

Comments

• You knew something was wrong when taking delivery and did not insist it was repaired prior to doing so? I agree it should be fixed but you need to step up and share some of the blame,if you told them you didn’t want it in that condition I’m positive something would have been done to remedy it.
  • let's not make excuses for tesla here. I went through the same thing. minor issues pointed out on pre inspection I paid for from a 3rd party since I had to fly in later to pick up the car. The issues were agreed to be taken care of before delivery. I fly in and not one thing was addressed.....they know I have to take the car, I flew in, have to drive the car 5 hrs home. took delivery dec 11/2020 because they said if I didn't take it before that day they would give it to someone else.....and yes you know what Elon offered the next day. got home and made a service appt earliest date jan21/2021. just some of the tactics tesla and the delivery centers are demonstrating
  • > @mislead said:
    > let's not make excuses for tesla here. I went through the same thing. minor issues pointed out on pre inspection I paid for from a 3rd party since I had to fly in later to pick up the car. The issues were agreed to be taken care of before delivery. I fly in and not one thing was addressed.....they know I have to take the car, I flew in, have to drive the car 5 hrs home. took delivery dec 11/2020 because they said if I didn't take it before that day they would give it to someone else.....and yes you know what Elon offered the next day. got home and made a service appt earliest date jan21/2021. just some of the tactics tesla and the delivery centers are demonstrating

You did a pre inspection and found issues and paid for the item anyway, you didn’t follow up to make sure they were repaired BEFORE your 5 hour trip, there was no REQUIREMENT for you to sign paperwork and accept the car if you were not happy with it, I think it all comes down to you missing out on a year free supercharging, sounds like the excuses are all for you and the OP accept responsibility for your own actions, hard to prove facts to be incorrect
  • We took acceptance of our 2021 MY in mid November at the Tyson's Corner (VA) SC. We spend at least an hour going over the car checklist in hand and at no time felt pressure to sign off on delivery. One of the Telsa SC employees occasionally stopped by -- there were on the order of 5-6 Teslas being delivered at the same time -- and once we got the 'within spec' when I questioned a panel gap. Overall no deal killers and in fact what panel spacing issues we saw were not worth exposing the car to the potential for mis-handing by SC.
  • Any information re the Model S basic model and the Canadian Government $5000 rebate? Looks like the Model S comes in under the $55,000 ceiling.
  • Something to be learned here. If you are told it will be easily addressed later ask them to sign a document stating the car will be replaced as if it were still under first delivery inspection if the item is not easily repaired as they promised. If they refuse, don't take delivery of the car.
  • I think Tesla (and any other manufacturers) has a responsibilty to give us what we are paying for...regardless of the price. I use the "what if my mom was buying this" test. Everyone regardless of their mechanical knowledge or forum usage, should be given the same (good) delivery experience.
  • OMG. The car had an issue before delivery that service thought they addressed. Granted, they were wrong. Now, they have a responsibility to troubleshoot and fix it. If they can’t for some reason, which is highly unlikely, then they can choose to replace it or you can use lemon law procedure.
  • It is a computer on wheels. This crap happens. They will make it right. It is all part of the experience.
  • > @JoeC36 said:
    > We took acceptance of our 2021 MY in mid November at the Tyson's Corner (VA) SC. We spend at least an hour going over the car checklist in hand and at no time felt pressure to sign off on delivery. One of the Telsa SC employees occasionally stopped by -- there were on the order of 5-6 Teslas being delivered at the same time -- and once we got the 'within spec' when I questioned a panel gap. Overall no deal killers and in fact what panel spacing issues we saw were not worth exposing the car to the potential for mis-handing by SC.

I took delivery in the Rockville, MD center and they were great. I inspected the car, noted a couple of issues and they resolved them. :)