Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Cigarette Lighter port stopped working

Hi, I plugged an inverter in last night and after a few minutes, there's no more power coming out of the cigarette lighter port. I live 6 hours away from a Tesla service center. Does anyone know how I can fix this myself? Thank you!

Comments

• The M3 has self-resetting breakers. Let it sit for a couple of hours and try a very low wattage device to test it. I’ve found that the cigarette lighter port does not tolerate a lot of power draw. My portable tire pump tripped mine.
  • > @AmokTime said:
    > The M3 has self-resetting breakers. Let it sit for a couple of hours and try a very low wattage device to test it. I’ve found that the cigarette lighter port does not tolerate a lot of power draw. My portable tire pump tripped mine.

Tried that, waited rest of the night last night and so far today, still now luck. Also tried to unplug the 12 V battery and plug it back in after a couple of minutes. Still no change.
  • The resettable fuse should reset itself, especially after waiting several hours with no load. Seems to me that a service appointment is necessary. If the 12v receptacle suddenly comes to life, you can always cancel the service appointment.
  • > @Lonestar10_1999_98049184 said:
    > The resettable fuse should reset itself, especially after waiting several hours with no load. Seems to me that a service appointment is necessary. If the 12v receptacle suddenly comes to life, you can always cancel the service appointment.

I hope not, I live in Albuquerque and the service center is in Denver. :(
  • edited January 11
    > @Rohan8484 said:
    > > @Lonestar10_1999_98049184 said:
    > > The resettable fuse should reset itself, especially after waiting several hours with no load. Seems to me that a service appointment is necessary. If the 12v receptacle suddenly comes to life, you can always cancel the service appointment.
    >
    > I hope not, I live in Albuquerque and the service center is in Denver. :(

No need for a SC trip just yet! Use the app and request a mobile tech visit. Doesn't seem like a major issue that a mobile tech couldn't fix.
  • In the manual, Tesla cautions against plugging any device into the 12v plug unless it is made by/approved by Tesla. That might be the cause of your problem. Also, perhaps your inverter was drawing too much power.
  • Just make service appointment. They could remotely diagnose and could give you how to reset. You can cancel appointment without costing you any.
    By the way, have you tried resets?
  • If your load exceeds the max spec, the port will shut down to self protect. Reboot the car and test the port with a low power usb charger. If it does not work, make a service appointment. If it does work, your inverter probably exceeds the max current spec.
  • I guess the OP had the breakers reset as they are meant to do as he hasn't been back