Model X

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla X does not read speed limit signs

Greetings to all Tesla owners,
Please, help me figure out why my car does not read speed limit signs.
Tesla X 2018 without FSD, Software version: 2020.48.30. I have not found a topic here in the forum which could give me the answer. Somebody says that it's only for those who has FSD package, but my friends, owners model 3 without FSD, claim that their cars (Model 3) read speed limit signs. Why my car can't read such signs?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• What country are you in? It may be speed sign reading is not enabled in your country. It is enabled in USA right now. I have FSD, so I can't say if it's an FSD only feature in the S/X.
  • Thank you for your feedback!
    I am in Norway and according to the words of my friends, the owners of the Tesla 3 without FSD, this feature works great here in Norway. I can't check it because this feature does not work in my car. All speed limit signs are taken from an internal database as far as I read on the Internet. But here in Norway, a road service changes the speed limit from 70 to 60 km/h on many sections of roads in the city in winter and summer. It turns out that a driver drives on a section of road with the speed limit of 60 km/h, but the car says that it's still 70 km/h, since it does not operate with updated data, and it does not read speed limit signs :(
  • Yep, we here in the USA were on the mapped based speed limit for years (those of us with AP2/AP3). You have the latest software, but do you have the latest map software? You can get the version in the Controls -> Software menu. You could compare it with one of your M3 friends. The USA maps are obviously different, so our version number would not help.

Do you have WiFi access to your car at home? If not, your map could be out of date, and I suspect the latest map is needed to make it all work, even though you have the latest software version. The current design reads the signs but also uses the map database as a backup.

Then again, it could be a limitation of the S/X in Norway right now, although I suspect not.
  • Slightly off topic - In US someone made a 35 mph to 85 mph, I was curious if car would read it as 85. It did not, so the software may check it against map data and only allow say 5-10 mph error in compare. fun.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Yep, we here in the USA were on the mapped based speed limit for years (those of us with AP2/AP3). You have the latest software, but do you have the latest map software? You can get the version in the Controls -> Software menu. You could compare it with one of your M3 friends. The USA maps are obviously different, so our version number would not help.
    >
    > Do you have WiFi access to your car at home? If not, your map could be out of date, and I suspect the latest map is needed to make it all work, even though you have the latest software version. The current design reads the signs but also uses the map database as a backup.
    >
    > Then again, it could be a limitation of the S/X in Norway right now, although I suspect not.

Thanks!
    Yes, I have access to WIFI. I have not received any request to upgrade navigation maps. Right now the Tesla software and navigation maps are the following:
    v10.2 (2020.48.30 040912887bad)
    Navigation Data: EU-2019.20-10482
    Your car software is up to date as of 14.Jan 11:43

Software Update Preference -> Advanced
  • > @hilliard528_98661406 said:
    > Slightly off topic - In US someone made a 35 mph to 85 mph, I was curious if car would read it as 85. It did not, so the software may check it against map data and only allow say 5-10 mph error in compare. fun.

Good to know that Tesla software is so smart :)
  • @igork1982g_98457818 - Maps are loaded automatically, usually about once a year - there is no choice when it loads like other software updates. It is quite large, so if there is a size limit in your router (doubtful) that could block it, that would be an issue. Again, I don't know about the EU, but a 2019 map that you have looks quite out of date. Perhaps another EU owner can chime in with the map version they have.

If there is a newer map, I'm not sure what is blocking it from loading. It might be worth a service ticket, and have them remote into your car. Even though you set up a service time, I'd expect they can resolve it remotely and/or confirm if there is a newer map.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @igork1982g_98457818 - Maps are loaded automatically, usually about once a year - there is no choice when it loads like other software updates. It is quite large, so if there is a size limit in your router (doubtful) that could block it, that would be an issue. Again, I don't know about the EU, but a 2019 map that you have looks quite out of date. Perhaps another EU owner can chime in with the map version they have.
    >
    > If there is a newer map, I'm not sure what is blocking it from loading. It might be worth a service ticket, and have them remote into your car. Even though you set up a service time, I'd expect they can resolve it remotely and/or confirm if there is a newer map.

Thank you for this information! I will try to figure out why the my car can't load the newest maps! I will update this ticket as soon as I find out something else.