Model S

Font size

Love my car but why oh why has all the important stuff like speed and gear selection been made so small as to be barely legible??
Please give us sensibly sized text to read. It’s dangerous as it currently is.

Comments

• There are multiple posts on this issue already.

The dashboard UI changes are likely in anticipation of FSD visualization improvements coming in later releases - and it's pretty clear many customers are not happy with the small font being used - so Tesla is likely going to fix this (soon).
  • Tesla will take their time and then will probably think people are use to it now so why bother.
  • Elon has already said that Tesla was going to provide some ability to choose different UI options. No timetable was provided as far as I know.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > Elon has already said that Tesla was going to provide some ability to choose different UI options. No timetable was provided as far as I know.

Are you taking bets on that one? If so what are the odds? I doubt if fonts sixes will be available.
  • TL - you can buy the option to change font sizes for $10K. It's called FSD - font size diversification.
  • Not for my old 2016P90D with AP1. I at least don't think it would work. Would it?
  • > @tldickerson said:
    > > @EVRider said:
    > > Elon has already said that Tesla was going to provide some ability to choose different UI options. No timetable was provided as far as I know.
    >
    > Are you taking bets on that one? If so what are the odds? I doubt if fonts sixes will be available.

Elon didn’t say you would be able to change font sizes directly. If I recall correctly, I think the idea was that you could select different UI themes, and some would likely have larger fonts than others.

Even if that happens, it’s a safe bet that some people won’t like any of the UI options.
  • > @bob_93352314 said:
    > ... stuff like speed and gear selection been made so small as to be barely legible??
    > ... It’s dangerous as it currently is.

I can agree that it's important for the speed readout to be easily legible, but anyone who can't tell whether their car is going forward or backward shouldn't be driving.
  • Interesting when i talked to my dealer about the font size today he said he had no idea there was a problem. I pointed out that there were lots of posts on the forum. his answer was that no-one at Tesla reads the forum :)
  • No different than the size in our Mercedes for similar Functions. If you can’t read the speedometer numbers you shouldn’t be driving without glasses! It’s not that small (I’m 58 so not a young guy). And PNRD are 4 icons - even is you can’t see them, the spacing should tell you (and P you don’t move, R the camera pops up on the main display! So what’s all the whining about.
  • > @autopilot01 said:
    > Interesting when i talked to my dealer about the font size today he said he had no idea there was a problem. I pointed out that there were lots of posts on the forum. his answer was that no-one at Tesla reads the forum :)

IN the beginning, they read the forums. Since they don't care about customers any more, they don't.
  • I have been reading about how the font size is unreadable but had not received the update yet.
    I have now received the update and cannot see what the problem is.
    I am 79 years old and need glasses which I have lost and not replaced yet and have no problem with reading the information.
    I do like the new layout
  • Do you have multifocal IOLs?
  • What's hardest to read is the TACC set speed - the tiny number inside the blue circle - and that is an important number to easily read, which impacts driving.
  • I had hopes of them rolling back to the old larger font and target size. The fonts they started with were great and took less time to select.
  • > @bp said:
    > What's hardest to read is the TACC set speed - the tiny number inside the blue circle - and that is an important number to easily read, which impacts driving.

Try my new Binnacle Bifocals...works great for just one area of the IC, such as speed or TACC setpoint....

https://youtu.be/yEzcmOSNAgM

Patent not pending....
  • Fixed with the latest update
  • Will one of you who knows Sam ask him to return the option of having the browser occupy just half of the touchscreen?
  • > @bishoppeak_93342774 said:
    > Fixed with the latest update

What, exactly, is fixed with "the latest update", and what is the number of that update?
  • The font is larger, so it is considered a fix for those who preferred tha larger font. Update 2020.48.35.5
  • > @"Yodrak." said:
    > > @bob_93352314 said:
    > > ... stuff like speed and gear selection been made so small as to be barely legible??
    > > ... It’s dangerous as it currently is.
    >
    > I can agree that it's important for the speed readout to be easily legible, but anyone who can't tell whether their car is going forward or backward shouldn't be driving.

Sorry, I'm one that like to known what gear I'm in BEFORE accelerating the car forward or backwards. I'd be more worried about people driving that aren't concerned with the same.
  • The latest update increases the size of the fonts at the top and bottom of the display - making all of the text much more readable (interesting that they didn't include this in the release notes - "Improvements to the recent UI improvements"...

At the bottom, not only is the font larger, but the key items are now in bold.

At the top, the cruise control widget has been redesigned, not only making it larger, but also further increasing the area inside the circle for the set speed - making that even larger.

This was such an obvious change, Tesla should change their development and testing process to catch this type of UI problem before the releases are distributed.

This isn't the first time obvious UI design flaws made it into the official release (like when they decided to remove the first letter scroll bar from media player lists or the time-of-day clock from the console display), which they also fixed quickly in a bug fix release.
  • Why do it right the first time?

As they used to say when I started out in Design last century, "The pay is the same if you are drawing erasing..."
  • Font size increase is very welcomed.