Model 3

Tesla Spare Tire

I recently purchased a spare tire from modern spare.com. This is a great spare tire, I ordered it with a kit which includes a Jack lug nut wrench and carrying case. This seems very well made and very convenient in the case. It makes it easy to put in the car and taking it out. I would highly recommend this to anyone with a Tesla.

Comments

• Thanks for the tip!
  • I have one too, but it is big. It takes up a good portion of the trunk. It is comforting to know you have it, but that comfort comes at the price of space.
  • Yep good recommendation. I have one too. Very nice kit.
  • Does it fit in the frunk?
  • Based on information from this forum, I bought a donut spare for a Hyundai Genesis that's supposed to fit the Model 3. I found it on Facebook Marketplace and paid only $80 for it.

Yesterday, I got an irreparable puncture in the sidewall of one of my tires and installed the spare for the first time. It fit perfectly.

Just FYI, it's an 18-inch alloy wheel with a T135/80R18 tire.
  • Oh, and, no, it does not fit in the frunk.
  • I need to get me one.
  • Another vote for the Modern Spare kit. While as noted it doesn't fit in the frunk or rear well under the trunk floor it does allow a roll aboard suite case to sit on top so the trunk space intrusion is far less than a full sized spare. And unlike "donut" spares this one is rate for 80 MPH for a sustained period of time.
  • > @dprljackson said:
    > Does it fit in the frunk?

No chance. It is a full size wheel and tire (if a little thinner!). I have one and it accompanies me on all trips further out than my AAA free tow (up to 200 miles from my home). It does, of course, take up some space of the trunk but I recently took it with 2 roller suitcases in the trunk without issues. Well worth the price for the peace of mind and the ease as the kit comes with all the tools.
  • The slim profile heavy duty jack is a nice inclusion.

Make sure you have jacking point pads or pucks so as not to damage the battery when jacking.
  • To jack or not to jack...that is the question lol 😂
  • I looked for a smaller, perhaps foldable spare wheel to limp to the nearest repair shop slowly, but couldn't find any. I toyed with buying the Modern Spare, but for my taste it is too big and heavy.

Does anybody have a hint? Does something like that exist at all?

I now carry a tire repair kit and a portable pump, but I am aware that this cannot repair all kinds of tire damage.
  • You need a spare that can handle the car’s very heavy weight.
    The modern spare only goes with me on long trips so it’s weight is a moot point when I include luggage and passengers. And on arrival at destination it comes out until I return.
    I don’t drive around with it everyday.
    You should reconsider.
  • edited January 13
    > @hgmichna said:
    > I looked for a smaller, perhaps foldable spare wheel to limp to the nearest repair shop slowly, but couldn't find any.

I am not surprised! Never heard of a 'folding' wheel for a car.

The modern spare isn't as big as you might think. It is quite flat as it is a thin wheel/tire. I can easily get roller cases to sit on top of it and close the trunk.

As M3phan says, you should reconsider if you are worried about flats.
  • Thanks for the info! I will keep thinking about it.

I guess a good question is, how likely or frequent is it to get a flat tire that you cannot repair yourself on the road, and how long does it take to get it repaired.
  • > @hgmichna said:
    > Thanks for the info! I will keep thinking about it.
    >
    > I guess a good question is, how likely or frequent is it to get a flat tire that you cannot repair yourself on the road, and how long does it take to get it repaired.
    Some other considerations:
    1) How often do you travel far away from Tesla service centers or into areas without cellular coverage? For me (once the pandemic ends), the answer is frequently. That is what led me to get the Modern Spare.
    2) If you have the 20 inch wheels tire damage from potholes is more likely.
    3) If you road trip in the dark you are more likely to strike a piece of road debris.
    In terms of "bang for the buck" a $30 air compressor and $30 plug repair kit really can't be beat and will handle most nail in tire type scenarios. I have personally only encountered one case where this wouldn't have been sufficient.
  • Do you want to fix a flat in the dark? Or summer heat? Or in the rain? How about cold, dark and rain?😏
    I know, some don’t mind. My preference is to not plug my tire at all, hence spare.
  • I can only echo M3Phan's words...not getting me repairing tires in the dark, in the rain etc. Jack, change, go. That is why I carry a spare on longer trips where my AAA tow coverage ends. Of course, each must make their own decision as to what is best for their needs.
  • I assume everyone is traveling with a torque wrench that goes to 130 ft lbs to go along with this spare.

Also, you do not need to go to the expense of bespoke "jack pads". A piece of wood, like pine or a piece of plywood will do the same thing.
  • edited January 14
    > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > I assume everyone is traveling with a torque wrench that goes to 130 ft lbs to go along with this spare.
    >
    > Also, you do not need to go to the expense of bespoke "jack pads". A piece of wood, like pine or a piece of plywood will do the same thing.

Torque wrench is not necessary. This is a 'get you to a tire shop' wheel, not 'let's carry on our road trip'. Jack Pads are like $15 on Amazon...beats carrying around a piece of wood!
  • On long trips I carry my small tube of jack pads and a torque wrench with light up digital readout👍🏼
  • Love the discussion but, why on earth do y’all talk about repairing a tire in unfavorable weather conditions, do these conditions not exist if you carry a spare? A tire can be plugged quicker than a complete wheel swap,
    There are pros and cons to both sides but compare them evenly
  • I guess I have just had bad experiences trying to plug a tire in the wet. I got absolutely soaked once as I had to push and twist that sucker in while lying on the ground (so as not to have to take the wheel off). It has kind of stuck in my mind! True about also getting wet or cold changing wheel but for me it is just less effort.
  • My bad. When I read the title to this thread I thought we were discussing Elon OD’ing on “In And Out” hamburgers.

Never mind.
  • I can switch a tire faster than plugging.