Model 3

Large icon/text mode for people with reading glasses

I would wish for an option to put the screen in an Large Text/Icon mode allowing the driver to easier encounter the most important information like Speed, Battery level, Navigation information etc. Most useful for people normally needing reading glasses

Comments

• I support this, but if somebody has this kind of eye problem, she should have bifocal glasses anyway. Varifocals would also work.

I fail to understand why somebody would want to redesign her environment, instead of solving the problem at its root.
  • Why use search when we can create 1 million of the same threads. Unbelievable
  • We need a new Tesla software version: the Large Text Edition. Maybe it comes with a subscription to Reader’s Digest.
  • It seems people can't read forum that is bigger problem than new UI fonts.
  • Next people will want it in Braille!
  • I suspect it is on the list of future software enhancements, as soon as they get done adding more video games to the 18 that already are there.
  • I want more fart variations it seems very limited at the moment.
  • Have you noticed if changing your diet makes any difference?
  • Hmmmm I will try
  • yes, please (please, please) increase font size back to the original size or a DISPLAY option to enlarge font (similar to phones). At this new size and style of font, many letters/numbers start to fuzz together and distract from driving when trying to read/refocus farsight vs. nearsight.
  • Elon has already stated that the UI will be configureable with an upcoming update. No need to keep asking for something that is already in the works.
  • Elon stating vs. on my screen is not the same. I am away from my 3 for a few months. Please Elon come thru by May!
  • I don't get it. How did you people complaining about this issue drive your ICE cars without glasses? Could you see the speedometer? Could you see the radio stations? Could you see actually see things better? I doubt it...
  • > @Geedub1023 said:
    > I don't get it. How did you people complaining about this issue drive your ICE cars without glasses? Could you see the speedometer? Could you see the radio stations? Could you see actually see things better? I doubt it...

Good point. With traditional analog gauges, the numbers on the speedometer are much smaller than on the Tesla display.
  • For me it’s dwell time. With analog your mind learns what the various positions are so recognition is instant. When trying to read screen text some people may need a slight repositioning of the head to get it right and it may take a quarter second to focus. And yes I wear my glasses in my ICEs and the Tesla.
  • I don't even have to move my head to easily see the speed I am traveling. I just move my eyes for a fraction of a second, about the same time as it takes to look at the old fashioned speedo. I didn't move my head down to look as I don't move my head sideways to look now. Lucky me
  • Does the brain take longer to interpret a number and relate it to speed as compared to looking at a dial with needles?

I had a digital speedometer on a car I bought in 1989 and it took a while to get used to it at first.

Wonder if people had the same learning curve when looking at a round clock as compared to a digital one when they first came out.

It was a lot easier to set the time on a watch than figuring out how to get the VCR to stop flashing 12:00!
  • Fonts and icons used to be larger. It was easier to hit the targets quickly too. I wish they would roll it back.
  • > @Tesla2018 said:
    > Does the brain take longer to interpret a number and relate it to speed as compared to looking at a dial with needles?
    >
    > I had a digital speedometer on a car I bought in 1989 and it took a while to get used to it at first.
    >
    > Wonder if people had the same learning curve when looking at a round clock as compared to a digital one when they first came out.
    >
    > It was a lot easier to set the time on a watch than figuring out how to get the VCR to stop flashing 12:00!

It is a good question. I believe it takes longer to interpret a digital gauge as opposed to analog. It does take some time to get accustom to the digital gauge, but not a big deal. When digital gauges came on the market back in the 80's, they became very popular in cars for a while as it was seen as an advancement. Interestingly, many of the same car models went back to analog even if it was an analog representation using a digital screen. The Corvette comes to mind as a car that went from displaying the speed as a number and then reverted back to needles. One advantage of just displaying the number is that takes up less screen real estate. As result, the number can be made larger and easier to see.
  • > @Captain_Zap said:
    > Fonts and icons used to be larger. It was easier to hit the targets quickly too. I wish they would roll it back.

Once again, Elon has already said the UI will be configurable with an upcoming update.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > > @Tesla2018 said:
    > > Does the brain take longer to interpret a number and relate it to speed as compared to looking at a dial with needles?
    > …
    > It is a good question. I believe it takes longer to interpret a digital gauge as opposed to analog. …

It differs from person to person. I'm a number person. I don't like analog clocks. I am very happy with the big numbers speed display in a Tesla and would hate to have a rotating pointer instead.
  • > @hgmichna said:
    > > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > > > @Tesla2018 said:
    > > > Does the brain take longer to interpret a number and relate it to speed as compared to looking at a dial with needles?
    > > …
    > > It is a good question. I believe it takes longer to interpret a digital gauge as opposed to analog. …
    >
    > It differs from person to person. I'm a number person. I don't like analog clocks. I am very happy with the big numbers speed display in a Tesla and would hate to have a rotating pointer instead.

I guess I'm just old school. :)
  • @NorthValley

I move my head to get my progressives in the right spot for focus, not to align with the screen. I move my eyes for that just like “lucky you”.