General

Here We Go Again - Proposed Bill in Texas Pursues $ From EV Owners

edited January 19 in General
Rep. Ken King, R-Hemphill, has filed a bill for consideration during the current ongoing regular session in Texas to impose an additional fee for the registration and renewed registration of electric and hybrid vehicles.

The bill, HB427, would collect an additional fee of $200 for electric vehicles and $100 for vehicles that use a combination of fuel and electric power, or hybrid vehicles.

The state of Texas collects a 20-cent-per-gallon excise tax on gas and diesel purchases. According to the Texas comptroller, the fuel tax generates about $3 billion annually.

He did the same thing last year but it didn't pass. If you live in another state, do you pay extra when you register your M3 yearly?

Comments

• Already exists in GA we pay little over 200 a year for EV.
  • > @Geedub1023 said:
    > He did the same thing last year but it didn't pass. If you live in another state, do you pay extra when you register your M3 yearly?

Here in Oklahoma we do not but we should. If someone can propose a better way to collect road user fees for Electric cars I'm all ears
  • Sure, i know a better way
    Get the trucks off the roads and back onto the railways where they belong. They destroy the roads and pay miniscule taxes. $3000 a year in road tax is paltry compared to the damage they do.
    Stampee
  • you still have to get the product from the rail to the store. Also, for your info diesel get taxed 1/3 more than gasoline.
  • and Stampee that still doesn't answer the question of how you pay for the roads (maintenance and expansion) even if no 80,000lbs trucks were removed. look at your neighborhood streets, simi's are not destroying those ;)
  • I am fine with paying my fair share to support roads but $200 per year is what someone buying gasoline would pay for 1,000 gallons per year. Assuming my model 3 is comparable to a BMW 3 series in terms of weight and the 3 series gets 25 MPG (probably low) that is the equivalent of 25,000 miles per year. So, this feels like a bit of a shakedown for cash to me.
  • @WW_Iсefree and @stacok_98279004 Thank you for the info on GA and OK.

This proposed legislature will interesting to watch given Elon's recent investments/actions in Texas.
  • Gasoline sales pay for roads so I’m ok paying my share. Florida Power & Light has submitted a request to raise rates billions of dollars to prepare for the upcoming flood of EV’s to the market.
  • Electric is taxed also last I checked.
  • > @Joshan said:
    > Electric is taxed also last I checked.

but nowhere to the level of gas/oil per mile of road use
  • I get that, but we cannot just move the gas tax and pay an electric tax also. We will end up paying even more like this, it is how our system works. They need to figure out how to move the taxes around, not add more on top.
  • > @Joshan said:
    > I get that, but we cannot just move the gas tax and pay an electric tax also. We will end up paying even more like this, it is how our system works. They need to figure out how to move the taxes around, not add more on top.

I get it.... I'm in the transportation profession and we have been struggling with this for many years starting with the introduction of mileage requirements then hybrids and now electric. There is not a simple solution.
  • Can’t see this going through with Tesla heavily invested in Texas now. This King fella is the equivalent of a forum troll.
  • To me they should be encouraging the adoption of EVs, not punishing it. I have no problem paying my fair share, but not 2x or more what someone in an ICE is paying. Hell in the pandemic I'm only driving about 5000 miles/yr, so that fee makes even less sense. I think they should have no fee until EVs make up 10% of new car sales, then scale it up to $100/yr max, Maybe even have it based on vehicle weight, since that is the determining factor on road damage.
  • cost me $44 to resister in Florida, Illinois was going to be $250. Illinois is the supposed "blue state".
  • Not sure on your numbers that we pay 2x more if we pay $200 per year in tax. Let say and average person dives 12,000 miles per year and your car averages 25 mpg. That is 480 gallons of gas. In Oklahoma there is a 16 cents per gallon tax and the federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon. That equates to $165 per year.
  • > @Effopec said:
    > To me they should be encouraging the adoption of EVs, not punishing it. I have no problem paying my fair share, but not 2x or more what someone in an ICE is paying.

Right now we are not paying anything towards roads in Oklahoma.
  • Never seen someone push so hard to raise taxes without a plan before.
  • To me, this does need some sort of resolution, perhaps a per mile charge when you register. Another thing is, the money collected should go directly to roads, not other crap. I'm originally from NJ and they're notorious for taking road money for other stuff. EVs weigh more and we use a public service. EV drivers should pay a proportional fee, but not to disincentivize EVs. Once we become like Norway and have more EVs purchased, this issue will only grow. (GO NORWAY!)
  • Welcome to the new world where people want to pay more taxes. Not me.
  • Many states today, however, divert portions of their state gas tax revenue to the state general fund and other non-highway uses, such as these:

The largest and most common diversions, found in 20 states, are those to transit and active transportation (pedestrian and bicycle projects). New York and New Jersey, for example, allocate over a third of their respective motor fuel tax (MFT) revenue to transit.

Ten states divert a portion of their gas tax revenue to law enforcement and safety services, marking the second most common diversion.

Though less frequent, diversions to education tend to be substantial, accounting for 25.9% and 24.7% of gas tax revenue in Michigan and Texas respectively.

Other states divert gas tax revenue to tourism, environmental programs and administrative costs. In total, 22 states divert over 1% of their gas tax revenue.
  • > @WW_Icefree said:
    > Welcome to the new world where people want to pay more taxes. Not me.

New or Old world you still will have people who want service but unwilling to pay for it or look for a way not to.
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > > @WW_Icefree said:
    > > Welcome to the new world where people want to pay more taxes. Not me.
    >
    > New or Old world you still will have people who want service but unwilling to pay for it or look for a way not to.

All for paying taxes. I just want politicians to be honest about where they are going. If you need more money for X ask for money for X do not lie and tax Y and steal the money.
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > > @WW_Icefree said:
    > > Welcome to the new world where people want to pay more taxes. Not me.
    >
    > New or Old world you still will have people who want service but unwilling to pay for it or look for a way not to.

We pay enough taxes already. Over taxation is not the answer to all the problems.
  • > @WW_Icefree said:

> We pay enough taxes already. Over taxation is not the answer to all the problems.

Not for roads. I'm not disagreeing on tax liability in general but in terms of road construction and maintenance us EV drivers do not contribute much