Model 3

2 year maintenance

Anybody who had recently done 2 year maintenance on their model 3? Do we need to set appointment with mobile or SC
any details on the cost would be helpful

Comments

• I did not bring my car into service. There is not much to do. I did replace the cabin filter and cleaned it using Kool-it. If you think you need service, I assume you just schedule it in your mobile.

https://www.tesla.com/support/car-maintenance
  • @stingray - I like your thinking :)

Ok, if you're driving in snowy areas with salted roads, I'd have someone go over the car at least once every two years. There are still parts that can wear and corrode in the steering and suspension and should be given a look over (true of any car). If you're in a nice sunny local, then I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps have it looked at every 4 years just for safety's sake.

Tires are the exception and those should be looked at and rotated on a more frequent interval. Tesla service can do it, but so can any tire shop.
  • https://www.tesla.com/support/car-maintenance

Recommended maintenance every 2 years:
    Replace air filter.
    Check brake fluid and replace if needed.
    Check tires every 6,250 miles and rotate as needed.
    If in cold region, lubricate brake parts every year or 12,500 miles.
  • edited January 13
    If you are DIY kinda owner, check out this page:

https://www.tesla.com/support/do-it-yourself-model-3
  • thank you for all your replies i really appreciate it
  • We had the 2 year maintenance done (by appointment) at the San Diego service center last week. It included:
    Brake Fluid Check
    Filter - Cabin (Remove & Replace)
    Tire Rotation With Automatic TPMS Learn
    Four Wheel Alignment (Adjust Toe)
    Total $241.39 including tax

Service Bulletin: Replace Charge Port Insulator Pins With Updated Parts

You can go without service but you will miss out on occasional free service bulletin work that can affect the safety or reliability of the vehicle. Your choice.
  • FYI they do not always do automatic SB updates, sometimes you have to nudge them. The system is not perfect and some of the value of visiting the forums is learning about these things.
  • True. Our M3 is a 2018. We tried to get them to do the SB on the rear bumper but they said it has to fall off in the rain first. A bit disappointing to say the least.
  • Do keep in mind, Tesla no longer has actually "scheduled annual service". Originally, meaning going back to 2012, Tesla did have recommend "Annual Services" that would include different things based on age and mileage. There was a long list of things inspected and done. The big one ($$$) was the 4yr service because that included replacing the battery coolant. That was a $900 service visit. They did away with that in 2018.

So while people may say they had their 2 yr service done, there is no "2 Yr Annual Service" as there once was.
  • > @stevenmaifert_12203 said:
    > True. Our M3 is a 2018. We tried to get them to do the SB on the rear bumper but they said it has to fall off in the rain first. A bit disappointing to say the least.

I don't see why you would be disappointed about having a good bumper. We have the original style belly pans and they are just fine. Not all things that are SB worthy are necessarily problems on all cars. Sometimes a factory process that leads to those types of problems affects only a small subset of cars produced.
  • @Magic 8 Ball - In 8 years of Tesla ownership, most of the SBs performed on both my cars were preemptive in nature. I didn't have to wait until a part failed. Tesla had data that showed a high likelihood of future failure and they replaced the part. Replacing the Charge Port Insulator Pins at my recent service visit is a good example. My charge port works fine, but they did the replacement anyway to avoid a future problem. Tesla has admitted to a design flaw that can lead to losing the body panel on the 2018 M3 rear bumper when driving through standing water (https://electrek.co/2020/10/19/tesla-admits-design-flaw-rear-bumper-falling-off-water/). In this case, they are telling me mine has to fall off first rather than apply the preemptive fix. I will do my best to avoid standing water, but if it ever happens, Tesla is going to owe me a new bumper. Maybe this one is so rare it's more cost effective to wait until one falls off than apply the SB fix to all the potentially affected M3s.
  • My comment was born from my experience that many had been posting about charge port pins. Last year I had them do tire rotation once and FSD computer upgrade later here at the house.

I forgot which time but I asked the ranger about the pins and he looked it up and said they would contact me to get them done but he saw I needed them. A few months later I scheduled my two year maintenance and included a note about my pins and that is when they did them. Nudge nudge.
  • When I bought my M3 in Jan 2019, I walked back to the service department and asked them about maintenance service, and the service guys looked confused, like they didn't understand what I was talking about. Now that I know the car I think it's kind of funny. It used to be that the Maytag repair man was the loneliest guy in town, but things have changed.
  • > @in7_98388832 said: > I walked back to the service department and asked them about maintenance service, and the service guys looked confused, like they didn't understand what I was talking about.”

I’m always impressed how busy they are with every bay filled by a Tesla needing service, a line in the AM dropping off and the service/used car storage lot is packed. Busy place and hiring. Call for service and its 30 days out.