Model 3

Now that I drive S more than 3 I am not sold

Not sold over single center screen. I like S set up better and it is more useful especially nav directions in inline screen. Does it mean I am right and Tesla is wrong with direction they take on 3/Y and future CyberTruck. Definitely not. It is Elon's vision and we are here for ride along. I am not going to tell Tesla what to do with their product. We can suggest them what we want but at the end of the day it is up to them what to provide us with. Like new UI or smaller fonts or whatever they decide to change. Change with Tesla or stay behind is new slogan from ICEfree movement.
The end.

Comments

• To me the interior of the S is a complete mess. You have to look at two screens to get the same info as one centrally located one, buttons and levers all over. I take the simple single screen and two stalks every time.
  • > @-Nik- said:
    > To me the interior of the S is a complete mess. You have to look at two screens to get the same info as one centrally located one, buttons and levers all over. I take the simple single screen and two stalks every time.

What buttons? You don't need to look at the center screen all the info is available on inline screen. Have you ever driven S?
  • I like the single screen better. Not sure if that is a popular opinion.
  • I like both but my preference is inline screen vs center screen.
  • whatever it is i will adapt to it and in the end its going to be fine. but i would prefer that a layout is chosen and its not drastically modified constantly.
  • WW, is this a new opinion? I seem to recall you preferred the 3 screen set up. Maybe I’m wrong.

I have driven an S on three separate weeklong occasions. It’s not for me at all. The interior seems cluttered like a traditional ICE, don’t like the third stalk, don’t like the additional buttons/switches, and don’t like or need the inline screen. It also rides like a highway cruiser, boaty to me. Don’t like the ac vents, don’t like the glovebox button. Front seats not as comfortable to me as the 3. And the interior seating space seems the same as my 3.

Potato, Potahto I guess.
  • All you have to understand about why the 3 was designed the way it was is that it was designed to drive itself ( level 4/5) in the Tesla network. You would be watching Netflix or playing a game on the one center screen. Once you understand that it all makes sense.
  • Never said I don't understand, I said what I prefer doesn't mean is the way Tesla should do it. Aka complaints about new UI and such.
  • > @M3phan said:
    > WW, is this a new opinion? I seem to recall you preferred the 3 screen set up. Maybe I’m wrong.
    >
    > I have driven an S on three separate weeklong occasions. It’s not for me at all. The interior seems cluttered like a traditional ICE, don’t like the third stalk, don’t like the additional buttons/switches, and don’t like or need the inline screen. It also rides like a highway cruiser, boaty to me. Don’t like the ac vents, don’t like the glovebox button. Front seats not as comfortable to me as the 3. And the interior seating space seems the same as my 3.
    >
    > Potato, Potahto I guess.

Yes, did you read what I said? I said since I drive S now more than my wife's 3 I prefer S set up now. It doesn't mean I don't like 3 set up. And my point is whatever the direction Tesla takes us we will adopt to it or get lost behind. S definitely more spacious than 3. I can compare since I have to fit 3 kids in both cars ;)
  • Got it.
  • My point is we are humans and will adopt to whatever is thrown at us. New Screen layout, new UI, smaller/bigger fonts and etc. Tesla does what others don't dare. I hope they don't stop and continue to innovate no matter how much doubt or criticism they face.
  • I don't like the screen layout on the S. I found out when they gave one to me as a loaner. I could not wait to give them their S back and get my M3 back.
  • > @WW_Icefree said:
    >
    > What buttons? You don't need to look at the center screen all the info is available on inline screen. Have you ever driven S?

Couple times. If I remember there were a few buttons on the steering wheel, the cruise control stalk was a but much. Perhaps if I had more time w/ one it would become more intuitive. But coming from a model 3......
  • I wonder though what benefit it is to the consumer to have development money spent moving buttons around a car's interior every five years. It's not as if the way Chevy designs its interior is scientifically better than what Ford or Honda does. Putting everything on a single screen just seems a lot simpler. But I guess refreshed interiors are the sizzle that sells that steak.
  • @WW,
    Thanks for sharing your experience/opinion.
    I've driven both S & 3 a lot and, sure the 2nd display is nice at times, however, I'm not sure it is worth the extra cost. If it came free, sure.
    I don't like the stalks on the steering wheel of the S though.
  • > @evsrbtr said: Putting everything on a single screen just seems a lot simpler. "

And much cheaper but less functional and not safe.

Inline screen for basics is best functional design and safest design. Only reason Model 3/Y doesn't have the upgraded inline screen is cost savings for Tesla.
  • You have to keep in mind that Elon’s vision of driving in the future renders the driver obsolete. The mission is full autonomy. Optimizing the Model 3 for a driver is not part of the mission.

To me, this is a shame, because the Model 3 is so much fun to drive.
  • Cost savings, lol. Yeah sure.
    🤦🏻🤣
  • Your realization that one screen may not be enough I think might relate to the latest software update where it increased the size of the left side of the screen and made the map etc. smaller on the right side. Yes, on the S and X the two screens are beneficial but as someone else stated maybe there's too much duplicated information on them currently. Your feeling that one screen may not be enough for the future is most likely right and this could be an issue going forward for Tesla's 3 and Y's, hopefully not though. However, if you look at upcoming EV's, such as the Mach E or Fisker Ocean (even has a head's up display too), Lucid etc. they ALL have two screens and again to your point they all will mostly likely be more likely to progress better into the future with more user friendly autonomous driving display information etc. Hopefully better use of the two screens will be established with the new upcoming EV offerings, only time will tell.
  • > @"PECo CT" said:
    > You have to keep in mind that Elon’s vision of driving in the future renders the driver obsolete. The mission is full autonomy. Optimizing the Model 3 for a driver is not part of the mission.
    >
    > To me, this is a shame, because the Model 3 is so much fun to drive.

Right, even is I had the cash to through at autonomous driving option I wouldn't because I enjoy the driving experience so much. Yes, in traffic etc. I might turn it on if I lived in LA and yes it's a great feat and accomplishment to get to function, but most of the time I would like to still be the driver.
  • > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > @WW,
    > Thanks for sharing your experience/opinion.
    > I've driven both S & 3 a lot and, sure the 2nd display is nice at times, however, I'm not sure it is worth the extra cost. If it came free, sure.
    > I don't like the stalks on the steering wheel of the S though.

Yeah 3rd stalk is silly I agree.
  • 3 makes me wanna drive aggressive bc it is so nimble and fun. S on another hand makes me wanna drive in more of a chilling and relaxing manner. All Teslas are great and has something to offer for each and everyone on us. Roadster and CyberTruck will be great additions to S E X Y.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @evsrbtr said: Putting everything on a single screen just seems a lot simpler. "
    >
    > And much cheaper but less functional and not safe.
    >
    > Inline screen for basics is best functional design and safest design. Only reason Model 3/Y doesn't have the upgraded inline screen is cost savings for Tesla.
    >

Total bullshit claim about safety concern by Troll. Tesla needs to ban his flaming lying rear bun.
  • > @bassbone1_98264787 said:
    > Your realization that one screen may not be enough I think might relate to the latest software update where it increased the size of the left side of the screen and made the map etc. smaller on the right side. Yes, on the S and X the two screens are beneficial but as someone else stated maybe there's too much duplicated information on them currently. Your feeling that one screen may not be enough for the future is most likely right and this could be an issue going forward for Tesla's 3 and Y's, hopefully not though. However, if you look at upcoming EV's, such as the Mach E or Fisker Ocean (even has a head's up display too), Lucid etc. they ALL have two screens and again to your point they all will mostly likely be more likely to progress better into the future with more user friendly autonomous driving display information etc. Hopefully better use of the two screens will be established with the new upcoming EV offerings, only time will tell.

None of the cars you mentioned even remotely on my list. I sold on Tesla brand. Functionality, Cutting edge Battery tech, cutting edge Selfdriving, fun, brand image in eyes of future generation and many more positives.