Model 3

REVIEW: The $60,000 Polestar 2 luxury EV solves the worst part about driving a Tesla

"Take away my sight, and I'd be tempted to guess I'm at the wheel of the Tesla Model 3, about as good an electric car as can be driven. But I'd know better because something feels different: Things here are more substantive, more satisfying."

"The interior is built to be something an actual human would use and enjoy - not a button-free, avant-garde exercise in alternative design. This is the all-new Polestar 2, you see, and it drives like a finished version of the Model 3."

"Huh." He studied it a bit longer. Nodded in approval. "Looks better than a Tesla!"

"Finally, as an Android user, I was stoked that the car came with Android as its native operating system. For too long I've been frustrated by all the different operating systems each automaker uses. All of them are different. Very nearly all of them are bad. Just leave designing the OS up to the people who actually design OSes!"

"Interestingly, while the Tesla did travel the furthest, it was the least efficient."

It is really nice to see there are driver-friendly legacy-based EVs on the horizon and some look like they are going to be very good. Perhaps more and more people will go EV now that there are really good traditional vehicles coming out. Thanks to Elon the EV world is rapidly moving forward. He must be pleased to see his aspirations coming to fruition.

Comments

• So far more expensive, 75 miles less range than an M3 LR, and a generic interior you can get in any of 200 other cars. So who was this reviewer - the Polstar designer?
  • More EVs the better.
  • Surprise, it’s Business Insider
  • Posting a thread with quotes from a source you didnt provide that would suggest that problems with a car that dont exist are solved with another car. Not only is this advertising, but misrepresenting Tesla simply because you have an inherently negative opinion of Tesla which you perpetually push on these forums

flagged
  • I knew howard was a paid reviewer
  • Uh, how many of these Polecats have actually been built and sold here?
    How many miles of data have they accumulated?
  • Howard. Do us all a favor and buy a Polestar 2 and then sign up for their forum so that you can complain about the lousy range and the painfully slow charging.

The reviews of the Polestar 2 have been very good when it comes to the Android interface and the driving comfort. But the reviewer's, Bjorn for example, have all measured the charging speed and it's bad, really bad. After the Fed tax credit the Polestar will cost about the same as a Model Y and as a city car it's absolutely fine but it's going to be a terrible road trip car.
  • Howard doesn't do road trips in EVs. It is too much of the inconvenience for him.
  • Troll. Move along.
  • Despite the reviewer’s opinion, nobody knows or cares what Operating System is running on the car. The Tesla UI would look more or less identical regardless of whether a Linux, Windows, or Android OS was running on the MCU.
    What people care about is the User facing application that they see and interact with. Tesla’s is better than most, but has its issues - just like every other UI known to Mankind.
  • Deja vu
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/polestar-2-recall-inverter/
  • Finally, as an Android user, I was stoked that the car came with Android as its native operating system. For too long I've been frustrated by all the different operating systems each automaker uses. All of them are different. Very nearly all of them are bad. Just leave designing the OS up to the people who actually design OSes-Howard

Howie, enlighten us. What OS is running on our 3s?
  • @howard_98305575

Or are you still busy googling md5sum and practicing counting in octal?
  • DEADBEEF.
  • > @jallred said:
    > Finally, as an Android user, I was stoked that the car came with Android as its native operating system. For too long I've been frustrated by all the different operating systems each automaker uses. All of them are different. Very nearly all of them are bad. Just leave designing the OS up to the people who actually design OSes-Howard
    >
    > Howie, enlighten us. What OS is running on our 3s?

Potato Po’tah’to
    Linux ‘Line’ux
  • I want a list of “the people who actually design OSes”. Or are we limiting this to K&R and Thompson?
  • lol, you can find the link using google and the subject line. Still doesn't make the review valid. The best line out of the quoted:

"The interior is built to be something an actual human would use and enjoy - not a button-free, avant-garde exercise in alternative design. "

That line says everything. This is just another person who liked the Studebaker because that's what his/her dad drove and it was just fine and would still be driving it today if they could live that long.

Next.
  • The Polestar is running Android Automotive which is Android for cars. It differs from Android Auto in that Android Auto and Apple Car Play just use the car's infotainment system as an X-Server (or equivalent) and the apps run on the phone. Android Automotive is full Android on the car's infotainment system. Because it's Android it can run Android Apps natively. It's app store is apparently fairly limited at the moment but this should change in the future because it's so easy to move Android apps to Android Automotive. At the moment it's key advantage is that it has native Google Maps and Waze.

Tesla is running their own UI, I don't know if their API is entirely homegrown or if they run a subset of Android, but porting apps to it is much harder then it is for Android Automotive, that's why we don't have Google Maps or Waze just Tesla's navigation app. Both Android and Tesla are using a Linux kernel but that's irrelevant, the API for the GUI is what's important.

The Android Automotive UI is the Polestar's best feature. The car itself suffers from the fact that it's derived from an ICE platform and as such it's not very efficient which is why it's range sucks. They also haven't done a good job with the battery charging, everyone who has tested it has said it's very slow. Maybe they will be able to fix it in the future but for now it's the car's Achilles' heel.
  • Wow. Even as a current Volvo owner, I’d have no interest in the car. Sounds like crap.
  • https://www.yahoo.com/news/review-polestar-2-newest-car-110800250.html
  • this is a Tesla forum, to discuss Tesla? Crawl back in your hole...
  • Admins move it to general please. Thank you.
  • Sounds like the reviewer is a slippers and cocoa kind of guy. Yawn.