General

When will Tesla offer a portable battery boost?

After the 100B rise, you'd think we'd all get a nice Holiday present with a portable charger to get us out of tight situations if we ever run out of battery. Just a 20-mile jolt should do it. It's understandable that there's an issue with attempts with this but seems like a problem the best engineers in the world should be able to figure out. Would be awesome if next Xmas we all had a heavy portable battery that looked like a gas can show up at our door from Santa.

Comments

• Never been in situation where I was about to run out of juice. Traveled RoundTrip GA To NJ and GA FL.
  • You can't charge your car via a portable generator in your car. Additionally you shouldn't be driving around with a gasoline tank (on the generator) inside the car.
  • I never carried around a can of gasoline in case I ran out, granted a lot more dangerous but still...no reason then or with EV and an EV you can plug in anywhere in a pinch.

Get an extra long high amp extension cord instead of the generator.

In UK, the AAA tow trucks carry generators to charge EV’s just as they carry gasoline for ICE cars.
  • There are no AAA tow trucks in the UK.
    There were some AAA tow trucks in the US that carried generators but they didn't have enough and then weren't used enough to be worthwhile. It is easier to just tow that 0.001% of EVs who need it to the nearest charger.
  • > @Camsisko said:
    > After the 100B rise, you'd think we'd all get a nice Holiday present with a portable charger to get us out of tight situations if we ever run out of battery. Just a 20-mile jolt should do it. It's understandable that there's an issue with attempts with this but seems like a problem the best engineers in the world should be able to figure out. Would be awesome if next Xmas we all had a heavy portable battery that looked like a gas can show up at our door from Santa.
    >

It will probably be after they realize people are to stupid to to take care of themselves,
    My guess on a timeframe 3-5 weeks
  • edited January 14
    > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said: > There are no AAA tow trucks in the UK."

Shakespeare disagrees.

"Welcome to the International Clubs section of the AAA Exchange. Here you’ll find contact details for foreign motoring clubs along with a list of services available to AAA members when traveling to other countries. *Please note that if there are no services listed, the foreign club has not confirmed reciprocal services for AAA members. Please contact your local AAA club for more information."

It was cool seeing the AAA truck charge the VWID4 on one of "bricking" range tests.
  • Pretty sure he means a battery pack, not a generator. However, that would be quite heavy. Also, at that point, why not just add it to the car permanently and use it as an aux battery like some motorcycles have a petcock to get just a little reserve?

But that doesn’t make any sense either, because it would make more sense to have the extra always available, and then you would want just a little more extra...... and repeat.
  • How many people in their previous ICE cars drove around with a container full of gas, "just in case"....? I know I never did. the problem with too many "safety nets" is you become complacent.

How many people in their previous cars actually checked their spare tire's tire pressure on a monthly basis......? A spare with no air, is no longer a spare. A few times over the years during PCA or MBCA club drives, someone inevitably got a flat, went to put the spare on and come to find out, the spare was a useless as the offending flat tire.