Model Y

Charge interrupted solutions

Hello community,
I just took delivery of a model Y in December 31st. I have been getting "charging interrupted" messages. I have been using the mobil charge cable first with the 110v and also with the 220v. I have been disconnecting the charger and reconnecting it but after 30 min the problem persist. I asked Tesla support and they suggested that my house power might be spiking high and low. I am thinking I may have to buy a power regulator (stabilizer).
Anyone have any suggestion? would that help? or If I were to buy the Tesla wall charger would that encounter the same problem? or the T.Wall charger has a built in regulator?
sorry for all the questions I am trying to figure it out. I am still a newby.

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• I just got my model y long range dual motor model. This is my first electric car: 153 miles for 29% - this means 100% battery can only drive about 190 miles. This seems Be too low than the specs. I drove the same way as I used to be. Can anyone please help If you think there is a problem? Many thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Tesla needs to be taken this issue very seriously. My car was 2 weeks old! 2021 Model
  • Hello Satial, I can only guess is like any computer or cell phone battery, they say "10 hour...". That is at optimal conditions. Perhaps no hills, no speeding, no wind etc... I read also that winter temp can reduce up to 20% the range. Just a thought.
  • ...this forum needs a search function. The question of range has been discussed here and at TeslaMotorsClub.

Range is dependent on many variables: temperature extremes, HVAC use, terrain (hills), wind, tire PSI.
  • Charge interruption was the topic, right?

Gaius_1: On my 240v Clipper Creek EVSE, Tesla shows "charge interrupted" on occasion, but always restarts. Have you tried just waiting for it to restart?
  • When I first got my model Y, I was using the 110V outlet in the garage. Occasionally the GFCI outlet would trip, hence interrupting the charging. After trial and error, I found out that every time we would use the air fryer in the kitchen while my Tesla was plugged in the garage, it would cause that garage GFCI outlet to trip. The two are not even on the same circuit but somehow that air fryer would, I guess, create spikes or fluctuations in the whole system that the GFCI outlet did not like. For me, the ultimate solution has been to install a 14-50 outlet. 8 gauge wiring is costly for sure but this is a better way to charge. I noticed that with 110 V outlet, it has a hard time keeping up when I turn on preconditioning, hence starting to lose battery percentage. 14-50 doesn’t have that problem.

Now, you say you have the problem even with 220V charging, which means you already have the same or similar outlet to my 14-50, and still have the issue. I’d like to see what you eventually find out.
  • thank you for your reply, I did waited and occasionally it restarts, but most times it does not. I woke up in the morning with no charge. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to unplug it and replug it in so I can get a charge for the morning to go to work.
  • > @MYP_in_cold said:
    > When I first got my model Y, I was using the 110V outlet in the garage. Occasionally the GFCI outlet would trip, hence interrupting the charging. After trial and error, I found out that every time we would use the air fryer in the kitchen while my Tesla was plugged in the garage, it would cause that garage GFCI outlet to trip. The two are not even on the same circuit but somehow that air fryer would, I guess, create spikes or fluctuations in the whole system that the GFCI outlet did not like. For me, the ultimate solution has been to install a 14-50 outlet. 8 gauge wiring is costly for sure but this is a better way to charge. I noticed that with 110 V outlet, it has a hard time keeping up when I turn on preconditioning, hence starting to lose battery percentage. 14-50 doesn’t have that problem.
    >
    > Now, you say you have the problem even with 220V charging, which means you already have the same or similar outlet to my 14-50, and still have the issue. I’d like to see what you eventually find out.

Just information but 8 gauge wire is not sufficient for a 50 amp circuit.
  • > @satlal said:
    > I just got my model y long range dual motor model. This is my first electric car: 153 miles for 29% - this means 100% battery can only drive about 190 miles. This seems Be too low than the specs. I drove the same way as I used to be. Can anyone please help If you think there is a problem? Many thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    >
    > Tesla needs to be taken this issue very seriously. My car was 2 weeks old! 2021 Model
    >
    >

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but by my calculations 153 miles for 29% works out to 527 miles at 100%, which is way too high for the Model Y. Did you mean kilometres? If so, then 527 km is right on the rated range. Am I missing something?
  • @operator64
    Thanks for the correction. You are right. It was supposed to be 6 gauge.
  • > @rp27 said:
    > > @satlal said:
    > > I just got my model y long range dual motor model. This is my first electric car: 153 miles for 29% - this means 100% battery can only drive about 190 miles. This seems Be too low than the specs. I drove the same way as I used to be. Can anyone please help If you think there is a problem? Many thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    > >
    > > Tesla needs to be taken this issue very seriously. My car was 2 weeks old! 2021 Model
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but by my calculations 153 miles for 29% works out to 527 miles at 100%, which is way too high for the Model Y. Did you mean kilometres? If so, then 527 km is right on the rated range. Am I missing something?

I think he meant 29% remaining after 153 miles.
  • > @pianewman said:
    > > @rp27 said:
    > > > @satlal said:
    > > > I just got my model y long range dual motor model. This is my first electric car: 153 miles for 29% - this means 100% battery can only drive about 190 miles. This seems Be too low than the specs. I drove the same way as I used to be. Can anyone please help If you think there is a problem? Many thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    > > >
    > > > Tesla needs to be taken this issue very seriously. My car was 2 weeks old! 2021 Model
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but by my calculations 153 miles for 29% works out to 527 miles at 100%, which is way too high for the Model Y. Did you mean kilometres? If so, then 527 km is right on the rated range. Am I missing something?
    >
    > I think he meant 29% remaining after 153 miles.

Aaah, well that makes more sense then! Thanks for the clarification.
  • well, it turn out I needed a. new Mobil charger cable. Once I showed the records of interruptions, Service found the same error on their site, so they gave me a new Cable.
    Thank you Tesla for your 100% guarantee