Model 3

Display not showing the correct charge

Hi all,

Since receiving my tesla (start of Dec 2020) I've had issues with the display not showing the correct %. To clarify that this is not a "I have randomly lost x% over night post" although it happens just not for the same reason.

We spoke to our Tesla garage and they advised its a known issue and the car needs to go back in for three days so they can fix the display issue on the car. Of course three days without a car when commuting to work every day is a problem. So I've been trying to discharge the battery to under 10% and charge it up as far as it goes. The first go I got it to 87% and then it stopped. Last night 78% and the supercharger disconnected and reconnected and then disconnected again and went red (I had it on a 90% limit). The following morning it showed 98%. I also get the opposite issue where the % randomly drops over a very short time (both day and night).

So my question is... am I doing the right thing to "reset" it? or is there nothing I can actually do to fix this and I should just bite the bullet and take it into Telsa?

Thanks

Comments

• The car works fine during those times it doesn't show the percent you expect to see.
  • > @in7_98388832 said:
    > The car works fine during those times it doesn't show the percent you expect to see.

Yes, the car is fine..its simply a display issue and Telsa confirmed this to be an issue.

Sorry I forgot to add this is a Chinese SR+ model. I have no idea if its the new or old style battery though (I dont know how to check for this) I know there are other threads on this just trying to find out if I can fix it myself or not.
  • Oh God 🙄
  • > @Loopins said:
    > > @in7_98388832 said:
    > > The car works fine during those times it doesn't show the percent you expect to see.
    >
    > Yes, the car is fine..its simply a display issue and Telsa confirmed this to be an issue.
    >
    > Sorry I forgot to add this is a Chinese SR+ model. I have no idea if its the new or old style battery though (I dont know how to check for this) I know there are other threads on this just trying to find out if I can fix it myself or not.

If Tesla have told you they need the car for 3 days then how on earth do you think you are going to fix it?
  • If Tesla needs the car to fix the display problem, likely some hardware issue and you won't be able to use the "universal solvent" of discharging and recharging to get Tesla to "reset", no evidence that really works anyway.
  • Fishy's present. Public Service Announcement:
    FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
    names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
    take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
    suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
    about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    It's unlikely that Fishy even owns a Tesla; there's a decent chance that Fishy is an employee/employees of a shill farm, sent here to destabilize the forums. Believing anything it says is counterindicated.
  • Okay thanks for the reply. a FYI I went from 80% to 58% last night (no i dont have sentry or cabin temp etc on)...and its just showing wrong again...i probably have 80% still in the battery. Northvalley is probably right...I cant fix it myself..going to have to bite the bullet.
  • @Loopins, I can't speak for all SCs, but the one in Tampa always either provides a loaner or Uber credits, so you don't go without a car. I'm not real happy with them for other reasons, but they do provide transportation.

I too have had random occasions when my charge stops a few percent below what it's set at. First off if it stops a few percentage points below what you've set it at it's not that big of a deal. It's only a few miles of driving. 12% that's a little different.

The fix I've found is if it stops early using the app set it to 100% until it starts charging again. Then reduce it to what you normally set it at and allow it to continue to charge. That's always worked for me. I would assume you could do the same from the touchscreen while sitting at a supercharger.
  • Does your energy page show accurate information? That is definitely a frustrating bug.
  • > @FISHED said:
    > Does your energy page show accurate information? That is definitely a frustrating bug.

I unfortunately wouldn't know what to look for as I'm a new driver so I don't know what would be considered accurate as I've had this issue from day one.

I noticed in a different thread that someone wanted to see the main screen just before supercharging for another person. I photos of the charging part but not before. I can take some photos next time I charge if anyone is interested to see. But let me know exactly you want to demonstrate the issue, as I like I said I'm new to this (obviously no VIN number etc.). But as I have said I will just need to take it in and get it looked at.

I posted here just for some advice as I cannot post in the country I live (China) because I don't speak Chinese (I'm not Chinese) so I'm unable to discuss it on that forum. Over all though I'm really happy with the car (other than this issue) just in case anyone was thinking I'm here to be negative about Tesla as some have posted this to other people.

Thanks
  • Quick update as I thought people might be interested. I charged again on Sunday and only managed to get it to 80% before cutting off.

I have the phone app screen shots but this is what they show if this is useful info for anyone.

74% 122km/hr 16kW 13:35
    78% 54km/hr 7kW 13:45
    80% 14km/hr 2kW. 13:53
    80% charge complete 13:58

My car is now in with Tesla service and are expecting to keep for 2-3 days. It's a shame they were unable to give a courtesy car though, but they did warn us they didn't have one.

Some points I raised with them are:
    1) Why is it not charging to 100%?
    2) Why do I get a slow charge rate (35kW) at the superchargers?
    3) Is my battery still at its max capacity?

These were the answers I got from Tesla.

1) This is a known issue with these LFP battery model 3's. They said Telsa needs to come up with a software update to fix the issues. No date given to when this will happen. They can only tempoarily fix the issue. They said that after I get the car back and have charged it a couple of times this display issue is likely to come back. He said that when the battery is at 0% its going to still have a lot of charge left and when it stops charging the battery is at 100% (even though its showing 80% or whatever).

2) They said that all Tesla models in Beijing get about this charge rate this time of year. He said most get around 30kW. So I have been doing well. Again he was able to check how well my car has been charging from his app.

3) He said my car's battery SR+ is still at 50kWh. He was able to look this up on some app for me. This he said is the size of the battery from the start as I thought it was 55kWh - but I was corrected.

So my thoughts to Tesla's answers.

1) Hasn't the car been out since October? This is concerning to be honest as its been a while. I hope Telsa come out with an update quickly as I really don't like the idea of guessing the charge or running it down to 0%.

2) I've no idea if this is true or not. So I will just have to take his word for it.

3) At least the battery is still good. I'm glad to hear!