Model 3

frequent soft restarts required to fix connectivity

Hey all,

Had the car since late December but had this issue come up a few times (4?) since then. I am wondering if I am alone on this.

Everything seems fine when connected to Wifi, but once we leave home and it flips over to LTE sometimes it just doesn't seem to grab a proper connection (though it shows the connection is fine). Symptoms are that I can't connect my phone to the car remotely, sometimes I can't play music, and one time I even needed to use my key card as it wouldn't pick up my phone as a key. In all of these cases a soft restart helped and life moves on, but wondering if soft restarts is a regular event every couple days or so for others or if maybe I am getting early signs of a larger problem.

Comments

• I'd schedule a service on it as it may be bad component in the cellular hardware.

The cell signal pick up should be instantaneous when you wake the car up.
  • No need to listen to our resident forum troll above (paid to cause trouble here).

Regarding your issue, I had that for a few days about 8 months ago, then it righted itself. It was taking a while for the flip between home wifi and LTE. I did a full reset and that 'may' have helped. I cant remember now. It might be worth deleting the connection between your Tesla and your phone. through forgetting device on BT. Then ensure your phone is not listed on your Tesla and then redo the connection through BT. That action has resolved a lot of phone issues. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • Most of the symptoms you describe are Bluetooth issues, not LTE issues. A few things to check:

1. Make sure your phone has Bluetooth enabled for the Tesla app.
    2. Make sure the Tesla app had background refresh enabled.
    3. Make sure the Tesla app has cellular data enabled.
  • What EVRider said! The issues you describe are BlueTooth issues. The are not LTE issues.
  • Agreed...partially..except the music and the connecting to the car from the app (remotely) are both indicative of car connectivity (lte) not bluetooth.

I agree that the key issues imply something to do with bluetooth, though that only happened the once.

Not being able to connect to the car from the app has happened the most.
  • > @Tarpan said:
    > Not being able to connect to the car from the app has happened the most.

So if your using the app the car is parked. If the car is parked it’s trying to find a WiFi connection. What does the WiFi show on the car and on the phone? Are they both connected? To the same WiFi network? Different WiFi network?

If the car or the phone connects to a troubled WiFi network you will have app problems.

Which music are you using? If it’s one of the apps on the Tesla like Spotify then that is LTE if your moving or potentially WiFi if your parked. If the music is from an app on your phone that is still blue tooth.

Try this next time. Turn off WiFi in the Tesla. That will force the car to use LTE. If that helps your problem, your issue is the local WiFi the Tesla is seeing while parked. The car can be seeing an open public WiFi that only allows web access or requires a web password but not a join password.
  • Car is parked away from home, so no wifi. My phone being miles away on a wifi or on lte. Car certainly on lte though.

For music, streaming app built in to car...obviously while driving this is lte.

I haven’t connected the car to any wifi other than home, so shouldn’t be trying to use any public wifi (and the issue presents away from home).
  • I interpreted your OP to mean you were trying to stream music from your phone. Not being to play using one of the in-car streaming apps would be an LTE issue.

I assume you have Premium Connectivity, because you can’t use the in-car streaming apps on LTE otherwise. Next time you see this issue, check the Controls > Software screen and see if Premium is still active. You can also verify this by seeing if satellite view or live traffic work on the map.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > I interpreted your OP to mean you were trying to stream music from your phone. Not being to play using one of the in-car streaming apps would be an LTE issue.
    >
    > I assume you have Premium Connectivity, because you can’t use the in-car streaming apps on LTE otherwise. Next time you see this issue, check the Controls > Software screen and see if Premium is still active. You can also verify this by seeing if satellite view or live traffic work on the map.

Excellent idea.
    Yes on having it, I am still in my 30 day premium connectivity trial.
  • > @Tarpan said:
    > I haven’t connected the car to any wifi other than home, so shouldn’t be trying to use any public wifi (and the issue presents away from home).

I have never tested what the car will do if it sees an open wifi network. Here is a good guide on Tesla's Wifi.

https://teslatap.com/articles/wifi-guide-and-troubleshooter-for-tesla-vehicles/

I still recommend you try turning off Wifi in the car the next time you park and see if it solves your problem. If it does there is likely a incompatible open wifi network in the area you are parking.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @Tarpan said:
    > > I haven’t connected the car to any wifi other than home, so shouldn’t be trying to use any public wifi (and the issue presents away from home).
    >
    > I have never tested what the car will do if it sees an open wifi network. Here is a good guide on Tesla's Wifi.
    >
    > https://teslatap.com/articles/wifi-guide-and-troubleshooter-for-tesla-vehicles/
    >
    > I still recommend you try turning off Wifi in the car the next time you park and see if it solves your problem. If it does there is likely a incompatible open wifi network in the area you are parking.

I will give that a try. It would seem unlikely as it presents while driving and is not consistently replicated. Unless, that is, there is something goofed about it’s ability to switch between the two. Easy enough to check the next time it comes up.