Model 3

Separate the Updates, please!!!

The past couple of updates have introduced several bugs into parts of my car that were already working - mainly having to do with Bluetooth connectivity and radio/streaming. This last round of updates (2020.48.26/2020.48.30) was one of the worst in this regards in my three year history with the car. What makes this even more frustrating is that these last updates were all about games and fart noises. I don't and won't ever play games or watch videos on my M3 screen - I have much better platforms for that - and I am not 10, so the humor in fart noises is long since passed for me. I want to experience the latest usability features, driver assists, and, fingers crossed, one day FSD beta, but I don't give a rat's behind about games and fart noises.

Could there be a way to separate driveability updates and entertainment updates so that we can get the updates we care about without suffering bugs in updates that hold no value to us?

Comments

• As you know Tesla doesn't monitor this forum so are you just ranting in anger? Because no forum member can answer your question.
  • Tesla does monitor this forum. I have received phone calls regarding my concerns I've commented on before.
  • > @lilbean said:
    > Tesla does monitor this forum. I have received phone calls regarding my concerns I've commented on before.

Interesting to know what those concerns where and when this happened?
  • I've been on the forum 8 months and there hasn't been a single post from Tesla. Out of curiosity what was your concern they called you on? And how long ago was it?
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > I've been on the forum 8 months and there hasn't been a single post from Tesla. Out of curiosity what was your concern they called you on? And how long ago was it?

14 months here and never seen a post from Tesla nor ever heard of phone calls from Tesla relating to a post made. Would be interesting to know what lilbean has to say...
  • "these last updates were all about games and fart noises"

not really...
  • Good point. It was about three years ago on the Model X forum which has very little activity.
  • @HAL2001 and @NorthValley

There have been a few posts by "Tesla Ownership" in response to some service requests but that has been a few years ago.
  • There’s no guarantee that separating entertainment updates from driver/FSD updates would lessen bugs on driver/fsd updates. Bugs are bugs. They happen.
    I for one enjoy that updates have multiple levels of usability and fun. Sometimes they’re all about usability, sometimes they incorporate various levels of fun as well.
    Part of the Tesla vibe.
    (And agree to disagree, a farting car is rank genius.)
  • You know, perhaps Tesla should subject its customers to the horrors of Git, so that they can pick and choose their updates.
  • What problems are you having? I haven’t seen any. Constantly updating can introduce issues but I will take it over the opposite. My phone constantly updating caused Bluetooth to be flaky in my old Acura. Acura never fixed it. Had to live with it the rest of the life of the car.
  • Too much overhead for Tesla to provide separate updates. I don’t see any incentive for them to do that. They want you to install all the updates.
  • And some updates require the whole to work.
  • (...may require...)
  • Although I have no concrete proof, I believe Tesla monitors these forums. I have been lobbying to bring Santa Claus back with the HoHoHo Easter egg.

Sure enough with the recent update, Santa is back! For some reason, the morning after the update installed, my cookie jar was mysteriously emptied.
  • > @Lonestar10_1999_98049184 said:
    > Although I have no concrete proof, I believe Tesla monitors these forums. I have been lobbying to bring Santa Claus back with the HoHoHo Easter egg.
    >
    > Sure enough with the recent update, Santa is back! For some reason, the morning after the update installed, my cookie jar was mysteriously emptied.

LOL
  • In the 8 years I've been on this forum, I have seen many features implemented that were first discussed right here. I have no doubt that Tesla does monitor this forum as an invaluable source of real-world experience they can use to improve their product. They'd be stupid not to do so. And I think no one of consequence has ever accused them of being stupid.
  • Hmm. So fart noises are interfering with Bluetooth? What a world we live in.
  • I don’t think the forums are a valuable source of info for Tesla. Too much noise from disingenuous posters. They could solve it by hosting a forum with verified owner badging but it doesn’t seem to be a priority for Tesla.
  • > @diegoPasadena said:
    > In the 8 years I've been on this forum, I have seen many features implemented that were first discussed right here. I have no doubt that Tesla does monitor this forum as an invaluable source of real-world experience they can use to improve their product. They'd be stupid not to do so. And I think no one of consequence has ever accused them of being stupid.

Have you not come across Fish and Howard? They think Tesla is stupid! Ah, I missed your "no one of consequence" line...got it, my bad ;-)
  • > @Spuzzz said:
    > I don’t think the forums are a valuable source of info for Tesla. Too much noise from disingenuous posters. They could solve it by hosting a forum with verified owner badging but it doesn’t seem to be a priority for Tesla.

Most of the noise is coming from owners, so that wouldn’t help.
  • been a Tesla model 3 owner since Nov 2019 updated to 2020.48.26/2020.48.30 and it is awful much perfer 2020.48.12.1 wish i could roll it back to the version
  • It would be great if companies could separate all the bugs out and just give us the good stuff. That is not how software works however.
  • > @derotam said:
    > It would be great if companies could separate all the bugs out and just give us the good stuff. That is not how software works however.

Bill Gates discovered that many more folks will buy lots of advertised features versus fully tested and bug-free software.
  • @EVRider said:
    >
    > Most of the noise is coming from owners, so that wouldn’t help.

It would help me distinguish between suspicious posts of people who claim to be owners and real issues. Right now I am stuck guessing who I think the true owners are.