Model 3

“Electric Cars Are Better for the Planet – and Often Your Budget, Too“

“Electric Cars Are Better for the Planet – and Often Your Budget, Too“

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/01/15/climate/electric-car-cost.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

Interesting study out of MIT on costs and emissions comparisons of EV, PHEV’s and ICE vehicles ranking them in costs and emissions.

Lot of interesting data points. The Model 3 lifetime ownership cost was about the same as a Nissan Altima, they explain why that is.

Overall it is a good pitch for EV/PHEV’s to cut emissions with costs of operations and maintenance much lower for EV’s and lower for PHEV’s along with the necessity of lower emissions.

Study makes a good point about Hybrids and PHEV’s being much better for environment than ICE cars.

“Hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles are about the same price as traditional cars, but cut emissions roughly in half.”

Comments

• They're fun, they're fast, and there's almost no maintenance to do.
    Now that they're better for planet Earth, let's make them better for planet Mars too.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > “Electric Cars Are Better for the Planet – and Often Your Budget, Too“
    >
    Interesting to read your comment that hybrids still pollute 100% more than EVs. Hybrids are still hugely polluting vehicles. If anyone cares about the environment there is only full EV.
  • Should be moved to general once again.
  • > @NorthValley said: > Interesting to read your comment that hybrids still pollute 100% more than EVs."

Looking through the wrong end of the telescope. It's how much emissions reduction from ICE.

As you see PHEV's do great and cut emissions a lot.

Corolla ICE 9.7 barrels of oil
    Ioniq PHEV 2.8 barrels, a 70% reduction in emission vs. Corolla
    Tesla Model 2 LR AWD 0.28 barrels of oil, 97% reductin in emissions for Corolla.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @NorthValley said: > Interesting to read your comment that hybrids still pollute 100% more than EVs."
    >
    > Looking through the wrong end of the telescope. It's how much emissions reduction from ICE.
    >
    > As you see PHEV's do great and cut emissions a lot.
    >
    > Corolla ICE 9.7 barrels of oil
    > Ioniq PHEV 2.8 barrels, a 70% reduction in emission vs. Corolla
    > Tesla Model 2 LR AWD 0.28 barrels of oil, 97% reductin in emissions for Corolla.
    >

Thanks for showing us yet again that EVs are the only way to go and that hybrids pollute 100% more than EVs. Its appreciated.
  • > @NorthValley said: > Thanks for showing us yet again that EVs are the only way to go"

Whoops...error there...as you see from the numbers the PHEVs cut emissions by 70% and are a great choice if one is trying to cut green house gas emissions.
  • Good news for EVs
  • Too funny to see one like from Htroll on every Fishtroll post.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @NorthValley said: > Thanks for showing us yet again that EVs are the only way to go"
    >
    > Whoops...error there...as you see from the numbers the PHEVs cut emissions by 70% and are a great choice if one is trying to cut green house gas emissions.
    >
    >
    Thanks for checking and thanks for confirming that EVs are 100% less contaminating than PHEVs. I thought they were but thanks for settling that. I am happy you think hybrids have no place in the world and I agree with you. Hybrids may pollute less than ICE but they still contaminate infinitely more than an EV. I guess you cant argue that an EV is MUCH better than a hybrid or ICE! I never knew hybrids contaminated so much! Wow!
  • > @jallred said:
    > The fool that wants a solar panel on the roof of his car also thinks that PHEVs are a great choice. Can’t look out either end of his telescope because of where he put it.

Ahahahahaha...and he has a smile on his face too!
  • edited January 17
    "Whoops...error there...as you see from the numbers the PHEVs cut emissions by 70% ..."
    -EaglesPDX

Do you ever read the words at the links you post?

"Hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles are about the same price as traditional cars, but cut emissions roughly in half."
    -The words at the link EaglesPDX posted.

I know math is not your strong suit, so here's a helpful tip: half = 50%.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > "Whoops...error there...as you see from the numbers the PHEVs cut emissions by 70% ..."
    > -EaglesPDX
    >
    >
    > Do you ever read the words at the links you post?
    >
    > "Hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles are about the same price as traditional cars, but cut emissions roughly in half."
    > -The words at the link EaglesPDX posted.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I know math is not your strong suit, so here's a helpful tip: half = 50%.
    >
    Man, this Fishy dude is back at school yet again!! It's a bombardment of truth and fact against this troll's paid for spin!
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said: > "Hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles are about the same price as traditional cars, but cut emissions roughly in half."

Correct.