General

Winter driving mode?

hello, new here.

i've a reservation for a CT. i'm in the north east, so there WILL be winter driving. poking around here seems to indicate "regen" issues for driving in snow. so 2 q's:
1. how do owners who actually drive in snow fall (icy) areas deal? and
2. any scuttlebutt on if Tesla will be including a winter drive mode (i know it's going to be a long time before any wrench gets bent on the CT line, but it's something i would expect in the Tesla lineup anyway)?

thx, ron

Comments

• 1. Snow tires.
    2. Unnecessary see #1.
  • Of course, everyone knows to carry a life jacket, right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/wernerbudding/status/1348702965377458177
  • Regen creates issues in the winter as Tesla did not include a “No Regen” choice. No way to let a car coast to reestablish traction. You can set it to lower setting but it’s still a pretty solid braking when taking foot off accelerator.

On acceleration, you should switch to Chill mode.

Tesla AWD is mostly RWD until traction control kicks in. It would be better if there was a Snow Mode with full time AWD, no regen, chill accel.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/180212/safety-concern-less-regen-on-ice-please/p6
  • You can coast by lightly pressing the accelerator. Pretty easy to do once you get accustom to one peddle driving. AWD works great and instantly distributes power as needed. Snow tires are a good option.
  • I wish that there was some sort of snow mode. I drive on hilly roads in Pa that can be a challenge at times. I haven’t driven my new Y in snow yet, but I’m not looking forward to it.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:> You can coast by lightly pressing the accelerator. “

You can’t actually as you will either be in braking (regen) or accelerating, braking contact.

Snow Mode is a natural.

Of course so is Car Wash Mode and Fresh Air Mode.
  • There is absolutely an ability to coast with pedal modulation. Listen to actual owners. 8 winters in the mountains of Wyoming.
  • > @Bighorn said: > Listen to actual owners. 8 winters in the mountains of Wyoming. “

Well I’ll raise you 23 Winters doing Intermountain FIS races from Jackson Hole to Mammoth.

Just mechanically impossible for a human to get to neutral even if the only two choices were stop and go, which is the case.

No excuse for not having a safe driving Winter Mode with no regen,chill accell and full time AWD.
  • ICE racing. Hahaha. Irrelevant. Listen to Tesla owners who have mastered one pedal driving.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Of course, everyone knows to carry a life jacket, right?
    >
    >

not sure how this forum works. i posted a response but did not show up.

1. i have a boat so water use is out:)
    2. are you saying that snows will mitigate? i have always used 4 snows on my vehicles (other than trucks which have a more aggressive tread and slippery modes)?

also (but different), how are you seeing any issues with salt corrosion related to battery pack and motors? i'm at the bottom of the salt belt, but winter driving and salt are really my only 2 concerns.

like i said, long way off, but doing my research.

thx, ron
  • @rcsjr

Occasionally, responses sit in moderator purgatory, especially with an associated link.
    Unclear what the battery configuration of the CT will be, but on the S, the battery is clad in ballistic aluminum, so no corrosion issue. Motors are also safely ensconced. Like any snow vehicles, the only thing that matters is the contact patch, so choice of tires determines traction. Some resort to studded tires in more Arctic climes, but several options without studs come close in performance, except for on glare ice. Breaking traction with abrupt acceleration or braking can be an issue as on any vehicle. My RWD outperforms most AWD SUVs which often stick to all season tires year round. Quite the tank. AWD is better yet.
  • I find my dual motor (i.e. AWD) Model S with snow tires cuts through snow better than other vehicles I've driven. No need to use "chill mode" as the traction control won't let you spin despite all the instantly available power. And I have no problem modulating the pedal to coast with one pedal driving. I'm now into my 6th winter with the S in Canada. My only winter complaint is the reduced range in cold weather.
  • I've been through two winters in PA with my M3 and have had no issues with driving in the snow. I don't have snow tires and did not put acceleration in chill mode. You just need to drive gently (don't change the accelerator pedal quickly) and all should be fine. It's a heavy car, which helps.
  • thx all. no doubt i will have more q's once real world specs come out and i continue researching. hopefully CT tires will be more aggressive tread and obviate the need for a winter set.

the CT is currently estimating 500 mile range which is the entry point i was looking at for in an ev, especially with cold weather impacts.

thx again, ron
  • Regarding cold-weather impacts. My experience is that the actual range does not suffer all that much in the winter, as long as you are going on a long drive. It's the day to day driving where you will really notice the change. The first 5-10 minutes of driving are typically pretty inefficient in the winter. Plus, warming up the vehicle before you get in will cost you some miles as well (and who's not going to warm up the car in advance?). So yes, if you have a relatively short commute, as I do, then you will end up charging a lot more in the winter, but the actual range on a long drive is not significantly worse than normal.
  • > @dprljackson said: So yes, if you have a relatively short commute, as I do, then you will end up charging a lot more in the winter, but the actual range on a long drive is not significantly worse than normal."

Range is equally impacted on long drives. Figure 30% less range at 40F and below and you'll be safe.

Look at Energy/Consumption's Projected Range to see specific impact.
  • @dprljackson

Inefficiencies are definitely front loaded. Overall, winter efficiencies are between 15 and 20% reduced vs summer., which obviously includes the 30-40% reductions in the first 10 miles. Once the car is fully warmed, efficiency above 30F is almost equivalent to summer.
  • thx again. also, is acknowledgement appropriate etiquette in these forums? i'm using protocol from other groups i'm part of. ron
  • Bighorn +1

You will notice poor efficiency at the start of trip during cold weather. Preconditioning the car helps as the cabin and battery are already warm.
  • @rcsjr
    It’s only recently been possible to tag people. I do it either to help insure that the person sees the reply notification or to make clear whose post I’m responding to. Etiquette is a foreign concept here.
  • > @Bighorn said: > Inefficiencies are definitely front loaded. "

So is the average drive which is 29 miles which means the 10% range savings of a heat pump booster doesn't come into play for 90% of driving.

But good to have as 10% is 10% savings. Can mean the difference for making it or not.

But this thread was about the controls, ABS, traction etc. and the problem Tesla has of no neutral. Tesla is either braking or accelerating and needs a Winter Mode of no regen, soft accell and full time AWD (Tesla's are RWD by default).
  • Even Bjorn is suggesting it on his YouTube channel.
  • thx again all. battery life is a subset of winter driving for me which is why i had a self-imposed 500 mile range. so far the comments regarding real world results are not scaring me off. although i will not be able to contribute for at least a year, i will have more q's as i continue researching. thx, ron
  • Tesla does need a snow mode or winter mode with regen off along with "Chill" mode on acceleration.

" However, like with any EV, the Model X's regen can catch you off guard and send you slipping."

https://insideevs.com/features/485854/video-tesla-model-s-driving-snowstorm/
  • Ignore Fish sock. No clue about winter driving.