Model X

Tesla Brand USB not working

I have purchased a new Flash drive from Tesla's website. I have inserted in the center counsel however I don't see any icon on the monitor as the flash drive its been recognized.
I had kept it there for few days and still nothing has been recorded.
I own a 2017 Model X.
Please advise!
Thank you

Comments

• Have you tried formatting it from within the car?

Select Controls > Safety & Security, and then FORMAT USB DEVICE. The option is only available when only one drive is attached. If you have a music USB drive attached, remove it first before formatting the dashcam drive.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Have you tried formatting it from within the car?
    >
    > Select Controls > Safety & Security, and then FORMAT USB DEVICE. The option is only available when only one drive is attached. If you have a music USB drive attached, remove it first before formatting the dashcam drive.

Thank you for your response.
    I was unable to find the "format usb device" in the "safety and security". Maybe you have a different model of Tesla.
    Any other way to do it?
  • Ok, looks like I gave you bad advice. I just checked my car and the format option is gone! That's strange as it was a handy feature available in all cars. Perhaps just a bug, and it will return in a future release. I'm on version 48.30.

No problem, as for a very long time, Tesla didn't have the format option. I wrote this article that explains how to format and set up the drive using a PC or MAC:

https://cammem.com/tesla/preparing-your-drive/
  • I found out that vehicles made before July 31, 2017 that have been upgraded to AP3 processor have limited access to dash cams.
    mine was built in March 2017. now do you know how to see if it's upgraded to AP3 processor. I just purchased this MX and I don't know much about its history!!
  • @sdTesla1 - Yes, with MCU1 and HW3 AP processor cars, the rear camera is not recorded only the front and sides. Even then, I found MCU1 just not up to the task. The video sort of works, but I'd rate the quality as poor. As a free feature, it's ok, but don't expect much. I switched to MCU2 and now have a much higher quality video along with all four cameras. Another feature of MCU2 is you can view the video in the car.
  • I pulled the flash drive I had on my 2018 Model 3 and pugged it in my 2016 Model X. It don't seem to work. I don't see "FORMAT USB DEVICE" under Safety & Security. Is my 2016 Model X too old for this feature or I'm not doing it right?
  • @BobbyIwin - I missed it at first, but it's near the bottom (you may have to scroll up). If you have more than one drive attached, it is greyed out. It only works if you have a single drive attached.
  • I was able to see and format the drive on my mac. Used disk utility, formatted the USB drive as ex-Fat, and then before removing it, added a file folder in the drive called Tesla Cam. Then remove it and plug it into one of the front USB ports. (As I recall, have not done this for some time0>
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Have you tried formatting it from within the car?
    >
    > Select Controls > Safety & Security, and then FORMAT USB DEVICE. The option is only available when only one drive is attached. If you have a music USB drive attached, remove it first before formatting the dashcam drive.

I don't see "FORMAT USB DEVICE" under Safety & Security.
  • You may need to scroll the Safety & Security screen up. It's not obvious there are more options below the bottom of the screen.