General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

CHAdeMO charging

Hi,
I'm a relatively new Tesla Y owner and am wondering if it makes sense to spend the $400 for a CHAdeMO adapter that allows one to charge at some non-Tesla, such as Electrify America, chargers. Has anyone used those other networks and have an opinion either pro or con?
Thanks for any input.

Comments

• edited January 16
    Uhh ohh, here we go. Beware the aquatic one who will arrive shortly.

Look at where you will normally be traveling and then look at supercharger and other charger availability and decide with that info. I think for most scenarios, most sane people will say it is not worth it.
  • Chademo works great for EA and EVgo chargers. I got one as I have both chargers near work and home so easy to get a quick 100 mile charge in 30 minutes. I don’t have home charging and drive a lot, 24,000 a year so its been worth it for me.

Plus when Tesla chargers are full and there’s a line, can usually find a 50kW Chademo to get charged without the wait.

https://imgur.com/a/RA2VQRm

https://imgur.com/a/7rh8fkX
  • At this point, I’d wait for the CCS adapter which will allow charging up to 250kW on EA chargers.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/180635/ccs1-tesla-charging-adapter-now-available-in-us/p1
  • I purchased the Chademo adapter when it first came out for a couple of very specific routes in Central Oregon and the Oregon coast that were not served by Superchargers at the time. Those areas are now covered and I rarely use it now, I have traveled coast to coast multiple times and never needed it as an option to Superchargers.

Regarding FISHEV, do not heed any of his advice, he has an anti Tesla agenda and twists and manipulates information to fit that.
    1. Rarely are there lines at a Supercharger where a Chademo would be faster. In visiting over 600 different superchargers I have only waited in line 6 times and never more than 5 minutes.
    2. Vast majority of Chademo stations are single source and are too unreliable to be counted on.
    3. There is no evidence that a CCS adapter could be used in NorthAmerica to achieve 250kW and that Tesla will be providing one. The Korean/Chinese adapter listed in the link is currently only able to support 50kW on the 3 and Y and 80kW on the S and X. This adapter is very expensive and is having to have it's firmware constantly rewritten to work on all suppliers equipment.
  • > @GHammer said: Rarely are there lines at a Supercharger where a Chademo would be faster. “

Except for Wash Sq Mall and Woodburn and Longview and Vancouver all “high usage” with lines and higher rates, $0.41 per kWh.

Here’s me charging at the EVgo when long line at Wash Sq. Mall. For $0.28 per kWh. Due to high usage and $0.41 priced, the Chademo’s can be cheaper.

https://imgur.com/a/kVNhd4V
  • To the OP. Above is an example of FISH's attempt to skew reality. I and my family have used all of those superchargers and except for Wash . Sq have never waited in line (my son in law waited there once). I especially use Woodburn a lot over the last 5 1/2 years and have never seen it full. Waits are generally short and once you take into account the time to drive to another location and charge at a slower speed, you'd be better off waiting in line.
  • Thanks to all for weighing in. Your advice and varying experiences are all helpful. Coincidentally, the only supercharger I've ever used is Woodburn and at those times there was no wait.

Brian
  • > @GHammer said: > I and my family have used all of those superchargers and except for Wash . Sq have never waited in line (my son in law waited there once).”

Here’s a pic of full up Wash Sq. Mall, as No. 1 in line of 5 pulls in to fill it up. A guy in an S waiting in line tried to tell a Model 3 in front of him that the S should go to front of line because he had free super charging.

https://imgur.com/a/UM6dWSI

Wash Sq is a restricted (85% charge max) and higher priced ($0.41kWh) because of high volume.

Tigard, OR 12/28/2020 1:51PM.
    Energy. 27 kWh @ $0.41/kWh
    $11.07

Since I’m a commuter with no home charging I have to charge at peak times so see the rushes and pay the price for kW.

Woodburn around 5PM is usually a line and why they built the new Salem V3 site.
  • And back to Chademo. You have to decide if you need or want it.

It works.

It provides access to a few thousand more fast DC chargers.

I also got it to test the CCS public charging network in the area as they’ll have one legacy Chademo among the CCS’s.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Since I’m a commuter with no home charging I have to charge at peak times so see the rushes and pay the price for kW.
    >
    Well that's your problem.
  • > @GHammer said:
    > > @FISHEV said:
    > > Since I’m a commuter with no home charging I have to charge at peak times so see the rushes and pay the price for kW.
    > >
    > Well that's your problem.
    >
    Works great, no problem at all. Both the fast dc charging and the Chademo adapter.

Again, I’d wait for the CCS adapter for the Tesla vs. the Chademo.
  • No, he meant its your problem that you decided against buying into getting power at your parking spot at your home...like your neighbors did.
  • > @derotam said:
    > No, he meant its your problem that you decided against buying into getting power at your parking spot at your home...like your neighbors did.”

Would have been nice if Feds had let us do it but no...but I bought knowing it was a long shot.

Living on fast DC charging was always Plan A. It works fine for me. Others might not be so dedicated or have the time.
  • But some of your neighbors have power hooked up at their spots, you just decided you didn't want to pay for it.
  • more bottom feeder BS
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > I don’t have home charging

What happened to the “600A transformer, conduit for all 12 parking spots, wiring to just three and those three purchased whatever charger they wanted to match their vehicle” system you and your five HOA neighbors installed? Act of god?

https://imgur.com/iCQkg3u
  • > @derotam said: > But some of your neighbors have power hooked up at their spots, you just decided you didn't want to pay for it.”

Sorry can’t help with the Tronspiracy Fantasty Island stuff. You kids have been making stuff up for so long you quote your own stories back to yourselves.

Back to common topic of Chademo and CCS charing for the Tesla’s.

I’d wait on the CCS adapter from Tesla vs. buying the Chademo.